Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FlagFly heel brake improvement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undoctor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

G'day Kolb drivers,

I did a mod to my Matco heel brakes on my FlagFly that turned out to be
one of those YES!!! moments. Reaching for my brakes required a very
unnatural thrusting my heels forward all the while trying to steer with
the rudder pedal. The way my knees are bent while sitting in the FF
made it a difficult thing to do. So I went about trying to improve the
situation.

First I cut two 3/4" lengths from a large dowel, shaped the one side
concave to match the brake pedals, and epoxied them to the pedals. Felt
a lot better in use, but in a short time one of them came off, so I
removed the other one, too.

Flew that way for a while, but still wanted to do a more permanent fix,
so I hunted through my "stuff" and found that the diameter of the brake
pedals is just slightly larger than the OD of 1 1/2" PVC. I trucked over
to Home Depot and browsed through related items to try to find something
which would fit over the pedals and not have to be glued on. And there
they were; rubber end caps with hose clamps to cap off an inch and a
half PVC pipe.

Bought two and brought them home. Measured the inside depth and cut two
pieces of inch and a half PVC pipe about 3/16" shorter, using my radial
arm saw in order to get a perfectly square cut. I pushed the pieces of
PVC into the end caps, moved the clamp flush to the edge, and pushed
them onto the brake pedals. Tightening the clamps then compresses the
edge of the rubber cap nicely around the edge of the pedal while the
downward force is transmitted from your heel to the pedal via the PVC
pipe. A very solid function.

I checked for any conflicts from the screw mechanism on the clamps and
finding none, climbed in and worked the brakes and rudders. Not only
does it allow my foot to position perfectly, the rubber creates a
slip-proof surface, like the brake pedal in your car.

So, if anyone else has the same annoying foot position with your heel
brakes, maybe you can give this a try. About five bucks and fifteen
minutes is all it takes.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

BTW, Don G. put VGs on the underside of the horiz stab on my FlagFly,
and although I don't know how it would handle without, it flies so great
with them I wouldn't change a thing!!

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
209GS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

Can you post pics?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

undoctor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

Hello Gerry,

What I could show you in a picture installed could be seen better by
going to homedepot.com and putting either of these two identifiers in
the search box:

Model # PQC-101 Store SKU # 688053 Since the cap is made to
slide over PVC pipe, picture a shorter piece of pipe inside and the
remaining depth slid over the brake pedals, then tightened in place with
the clamp. You'll see they have the clamp positioned about 3/16" from
the edge but you'd want to slide the clamp to be flush with the edge
since that's what is going to compress around the perimeter of the pedal
to hold it in place. The face of the cap is the surface your heel
pushes on when braking, and inside is a piece of PVC pipe resting
solidly on the pedal.
Hope this helps.
Dave Kulp

On 9/8/2012 10:08 PM, 209GS wrote:
Quote:

Can you post pics?

--------
Gerry Uebbing
Firestar II 503 b-box
(not flying yet)

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=382709#382709

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

Last edited by planecrazzzy on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

Last edited by planecrazzzy on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

The Matco brakes on my Slingshot have the heel piece far enough aft that the pilot's heel falls naturally in the proper place for easy actuation.

heel brake master cylinder right.JPG
 Description:
Slingshot Matco brake master cylinder installation, right side
 Filesize:  70.65 KB
 Viewed:  9733 Time(s)

heel brake master cylinder right.JPG

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

David , Nice job on your parking brakes, but i have a question for you .I am still building my Firefly I built and flew my Firestar KXP for ten years never had brakes .Other than engine run-ups and parking does flying a Firefly require brakes landing or turning on the ground ? Will i be lost without them ? thanks Chris

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot
Disabled from crash building Firefly

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2012 9:37 PM
Subject: FlagFly heel brake improvement
--> Kolb-List message posted by: David Kulp <undoctor(at)ptd.net (undoctor(at)ptd.net)>

G'day Kolb drivers,

I did a mod to my Matco heel brakes on my FlagFly that turned out to be one of those YES!!! moments. Reaching for my brakes required a very unnatural thrusting my heels forward all the while trying to steer with the rudder pedal. The way my knees are bent while sitting in the FF made it a difficult thing to do. So I went about trying to improve the situation.

First I cut two 3/4" lengths from a large dowel, shaped the one side concave to match the brake pedals, and epoxied them to the pedals. Felt a lot better in use, but in a short time one of them came off, so I removed the other one, too.

Flew that way for a while, but still wanted to do a more permanent fix, so I hunted through my "stuff" and found that the diameter of the brake pedals is just slightly larger than the OD of 1 1/2" PVC. I trucked over to Home Depot and browsed through related items to try to find something which would fit over the pedals and not have to be glued on. And there they were; rubber end caps with hose clamps to cap off an inch and a half PVC pipe.

Bought two and brought them home.  Measured the inside depth and cut two pieces of inch and a half PVC pipe about 3/16" shorter, using my radial arm saw in order to get a perfectly square cut. I pushed the pieces of PVC into the end caps, moved the clamp flush to the edge, and pushed them onto the brake pedals. Tightening the clamps then compresses the edge of the rubber cap nicely around the edge of the pedal while the downward force is transmitted from your heel to the pedal via the PVC pipe. A very solid function.

I checked for any conflicts from the screw mechanism on the clamps and finding none, climbed in and worked the brakes and rudders. Not only does it allow my foot to position perfectly, the rubber creates a slip-proof surface, like the brake pedal in your car.

So, if anyone else has the same annoying foot position with your heel brakes, maybe you can give this a try. About five bucks and fifteen minutes is all it takes.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

BTW, Don G. put VGs on the underside of the horiz stab on my FlagFly, and although I don't know how it would handle without, it flies so great wi =====
[quote][b]

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

My Firestar came equipped like this with an adjustable heel brake.

0000000.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.71 KB
 Viewed:  9718 Time(s)

0000000.jpg

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

Chris,
Regarding brake requirements for any very light aircraft:
My Opinion. If you fly only to/from grass and the winds on the ground when you are operating are not very high, you likely will not need brakes. When I was flying my first FS without brakes from a grass strip I never needed them, until one day on a x-country I had to land at a paved airport for fuel. I was fine until I started taxiing downwind toward the runway threshold on a paved taxi way for subsequent take-off. I had to stop the engine and it still kept going until I steered off the pavement onto the grass.

Bottom line is, if you ever operate on pavement, the brakes are close to essential. You don't need much braking but you do need some under these circumstances. Or else you'll have to stick to grass or nearly dead calm wind conditions.

- Anonymous
undoctor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I've never flown a FireStar, having gone from an UltraStar to my FlagFly, but I doubt if there's a whole lot of difference on the ground. When landing I don't use the brakes for control, I dance with the rudder pedals in a crosswind. About the only time I use my brakes on landing is if I can land short and get off the runway on the first taxiway, otherwise I just pretty much let it roll out. But with a 2K RPM idle, on a hard surface you can roll quite a distance, albeit slowly after the momentum bleeds off.

Again, on a hard surface, concrete, blacktop or even some aggregates, it will roll at idle. When you're on an apron with other very expensive aircraft parked nearby you want to be ready to kill the mill if you don't have brakes. On grass, the surface is such that the FF will stop at idle, so if that's all you fly from, you're OK. Where I start my FF the aggregate is hard and smooth and it tends to roll, with me standing outside unable to operate the brakes. Not good. So I have chocks with a nylon strap long enough to go from one chock, up around the handle of my BRS (or anything else that's handy) and down to the other chock. After it's running and I've climbed in, I pull the chocks on board and stash them in the compartment for use wherever I land next.

As far as running the engine up, with the high thrust line if you run it up too high with the brakes locked you're looking to re-position your FF on its nose, which could be quite embarrassing, if nothing else. My routine is to check for normal engine response when I'm taxiing for takeoff, and when I give it full power to climb out I check for proper RPMs - 6200 with my prop adjustment on my 447. Much less and I'd chop the power and find out what gives.

Different subject; I read a post recently of someone (I forget who) who just installed an electric fuel pump. When I bought the FlagFly, Don G., the man who built it, recommended that I have the electric fuel pump switched on for takeoff as insurance against vacuum pump failure, but to switch it off at altitude and allow the vacuum pump do the job. Then if the vacuum pump fails you know it and can switch on the electric, plus if you have a nasty return to earth, the electric pump won't be pumping fuel on whatever is near it. Make up your own mind, of course, but that makes sense to me, and sense is the most critical element of flying, IMHO.

One final note; Russ, you gave me a good chuckle with your multiple ground loops at the airshow story. Don't we all fear being in such a position at some time? Of course, if the airshow announcer was cool, he'd have narrated your antics as part of the airshow and gotten you applause from the zillions in the crowd! And maybe a paycheck to boot! One gusty day landing on concrete at Blairstown a gust initiated what I was sure would be a ground loop but I trounced the rudder and all I got was a swerve to the edge of the runway. Even with that I was hoping no one was watching, so I can pretty much imagine your experience before a captive audience.

Happy gorgeous (at least here in PA) Sunday to you all!

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

On 9/16/2012 8:54 AM, chris davis wrote:

[quote] David , Nice job on your parking brakes, but i have a question for you .I am still building my Firefly I built and flew my Firestar KXP for ten years never had brakes .Other than engine run-ups and parking does flying a Firefly require brakes landing or turning on the ground ? Will i be lost without them ? thanks Chris

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot

From: David Kulp <undoctor(at)ptd.net> (undoctor(at)ptd.net)
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)

--> Kolb-List message posted by: David Kulp <undoctor(at)ptd.net (undoctor(at)ptd.net)>

G'day Kolb drivers,

I did a mod to my Matco heel brakes on my FlagFly that turned out to be one of those YES!!! moments. Reaching for my brakes required a very unnatural thrusting my heels forward all the while trying to steer with the rudder pedal. The way my knees are bent while sitting in the FF made it a difficult thing to do. So I went about trying to improve the situation.

First I cut two 3/4" lengths from a large dowel, shaped the one side concave to match the brake pedals, and epoxied them to the pedals. Felt a lot better in use, but in a short time one of them came off, so I removed the other one, too.

Flew that way for a while, but still wanted to do a more permanent fix, so I hunted through my "stuff" and found that the diameter of the brake pedals is just slightly larger than the OD of 1 1/2" PVC. I trucked over to Home Depot and browsed through related items to try to find something which would fit over the pedals and not have to be glued on. And there they were; rubber end caps with hose clamps to cap off an inch and a half PVC pipe.

Bought two and brought them home. Measured the inside depth and cut two pieces of inch and a half PVC pipe about 3/16" shorter, using my radial arm saw in order to get a perfectly square cut. I pushed the pieces of PVC into the end caps, moved the clamp flush to the edge, and pushed them onto the brake pedals. Tightening the clamps then compresses the edge of the rubber cap nicely around the edge of the pedal while the downward force is transmitted from your heel to the pedal via the PVC pipe. A very solid function.

I checked for any conflicts from the screw mechanism on the clamps and finding none, climbed in and worked the brakes and rudders. Not only does it allow my foot to position perfectly, the rubber creates a slip-proof surface, like the brake pedal in your car.

So, if anyone else has the same annoying foot position with your heel brakes, maybe you can give this a try. About five bucks and fifteen minutes is all it takes.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

BTW, Don G. put VGs on the underside of the horiz stab on my FlagFly, and although I don't know how it would handle without, it flies so great wi =====

Quote:

[b]

undoctor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

Dennis,

I notice that your brakes are mechanical, but mine are hyd, so the pedal
is a plunger that goes directly into the master cylinder. So I have to
extend the plungers.

Dave

Do Not Archive
On 9/16/2012 10:29 AM, Dennis Thate wrote:
Quote:

My Firestar came equipped like this with an adjustable heel brake.

--------
Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute. ~Gil Stern

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=383222#383222

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/0000000_201.jpg

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

David thanks for the reply it sounds like its just like the firestar . My home field is asphalt but there is a grass strip alongside which I always used but the taxi strips are asphalt also and in the summer\ there are a lot of expensive aircraft to avoid

The reason I asked is I am trying to stay a legal ultralight and i am afraid that the adaptive equipment and the brakes \combined would put me over.thank again Chris
Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot

Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: FlagFly heel brake improvement
Hi Chris,

I've never flown a FireStar, having gone from an UltraStar to my FlagFly, but I doubt if there's a whole lot of difference on the ground. When landing I don't use the brakes for control, I dance with the rudder pedals in a crosswind. About the only time I use my brakes on landing is if I can land short and get off the runway on the first taxiway, otherwise I just pretty much let it roll out. But with a 2K RPM idle, on a hard surface you can roll quite a distance, albeit slowly after the momentum bleeds off.

Again, on a hard surface, concrete, blacktop or even some aggregates, it will roll at idle. When you're on an apron with other very expensive aircraft parked nearby you want to be ready to kill the mill if you don't have brakes. On grass, the surface is such that the FF will stop at idle, so if that's all you fly from, you're OK. Where I start my FF the aggregate is hard and smooth and it tends to roll, with me standing outside unable to operate the brakes.  Not good. So I have chocks with a nylon strap long enough to go from one chock, up around the handle of my BRS (or anything else that's handy) and down to the other chock. After it's running and I've climbed in, I pull the chocks on board and stash them in the compartment for use wherever I land next.

As far as running the engine up, with the high thrust line if you run it up too high with the brakes locked you're looking to re-position your FF on its nose, which could be quite embarrassing, if nothing else. My routine is to check for normal engine response when I'm taxiing for takeoff, and when I give it full power to climb out I check for proper RPMs - 6200 with my prop adjustment on my 447. Much less and I'd chop the power and find out what gives.

Different subject; I read a post recently of someone (I forget who) who just installed an electric fuel pump. When I bought the FlagFly, Don G., the man who built it, recommended that I have the electric fuel pump switched on for takeoff as insurance against vacuum pump failure, but to switch it off at altitude and allow the vacuum pump do the job. Then if the vacuum pump fails you know it and can switch on the electric, plus if you have a nasty return to earth, the electric pump won't be pumping fuel on whatever is near it. Make up your own mind, of course, but that makes sense to me, and sense is the most critical element of flying, IMHO.

One final note; Russ, you gave me a good chuckle with your multiple ground loops at the airshow story. Don't we all fear being in such a position at some time? Of course, if the airshow announcer was cool, he'd have narrated your antics as part of the airshow and gotten you applause from the zillions in the crowd! And maybe a paycheck to boot! One gusty day landing on concrete at Blairstown a gust initiated what I was sure would be a ground loop but I trounced the rudder and all I got was a swerve to the edge of the runway. Even with that I was hoping no one was watching, so I can pretty much imagine your experience before a captive audience.

Happy gorgeous (at least here in PA) Sunday to you all!

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK
On 9/16/2012 8:54 AM, chris davis wrote:

[quote] David , Nice job on your parking brakes, but i have a question for you .I am still building my Firefly I built and flew my Firestar KXP for ten years never had brakes .Other than engine run-ups and parking does flying a Firefly require brakes landing or turning on the ground ? Will i be lost without them ? thanks Chris

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot

From: David Kulp mailto:undoctor(at)ptd.net (undoctor(at)ptd.net)
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)

G'day Kolb drivers,

Bought two and brought them home. Measured the inside depth and cut two pieces of inch and a half PVC pipe about 3/16" shorter, using my radial arm saw in order to get a perfectly square cut. I pushed the pieces of PVC into the end caps, moved the clamp flush to the edge, and pushed them onto the brake pedals. Tightening the clamps then compresses the edge of the rubber cap nicely around the edge of the pedal while the downward force is transmitted from your heel to the pedal via the PVC pipe. A very solid function.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

BTW, Don G. put VGs on the underside of the horiz stab on my FlagFly, and although I don't know how it would handle without, it flies so great wi  =====
Quote:

=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
et=_blank>http://forums.matronics.com/
llow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: FlagFly heel brake improvement Reply with quote

Thom, you had about the same info as David . I guess its about the same as a Firestar , thats whast I thoughty but I wasnt sure how much difference that short wing would make landing and such I guess I will have to wait and see how much not having full use of my legs increases the need for brakes ,I think it might maybe just a brake lever (or 2) on the stick would do thank you Chris
Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot

Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: FlagFly heel brake improvement
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Thom Riddle" <riddletr(at)gmail.com (riddletr(at)gmail.com)>

Chris,
Regarding brake requirements for any very light aircraft:
My Opinion. If you fly only to/from grass and the winds on the ground when you are operating are not very high, you likely will not need brakes. When I was flying my first FS without brakes from a grass strip I never needed them, until one day on a x-country I had to land at a paved airport for fuel. I was fine until I started taxiing downwind toward the runway threshold on a paved taxi way for subsequent take-off. I had to stop the engine and it still kept going until I steered off the pavement onto the grass.

Bottom line is, if you ever operate on pavement, the brakes are close to essential. You don't need much braking but you do need some under these circumstances. Or else you'll have to stick to grass or nearly dead calm wind conditions.

--------
Thom Riddle
Buffalo, NY (9G0)

Kolb Slingshot SS-021
Jabiru 2200A #1574

Diamond Katana DA20-A1
Rotax 912 F3

- Anonymous

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=383223#383223

< bsp; -Matt Dralle, List Ad=========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: