Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Main gear alignment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Main gear alignment Reply with quote

Hi guys,
For those interested in the method I used for aligning the main gear, I submit these pics. Two 1/2" diameter aluminum rods were inserted into the axle sockets such that they met in the middle of the fuselage and were aligned with each other. This told me that the wheels were parallel with each other. Then, deciding how much toe-in I wanted, and using the magical math of trigonometry, I offset one gear to the length of the short leg of the triangle. The gear tube was drilled and the other gear was turned so that the 1/2" rod ends were together again, and the other gear leg was then drilled. It's easier done than explained. More than one way to skin a cat. Hope this helps.
Bernardo

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Main gear alignment Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Here's my method for aligning the main gear. Of course, it helps to have a machinist buddy to make my drilling jig(s).
First, two 1/2" aluminum tubes are inserted in the axles so that they meet in the middle. That tells me that the wheels are parallel with the fuselage center line. Then using trigonometry to determine and rotate the gear to match the short leg of the triangle, twist one gear leg to the desired toe-in (I used 1 1/2 degrees toe-in). The gear socket is then drilled, preferably using a drill jig. Once that's done, twist the other gear leg so that the end of the aluminum rods again meet and drill the second leg. Easy peachy, lemon squeezy.
Hope this helps.
Bernardo

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: