Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm installing a fibreglass overhead console which I purchased from the late Tony Sustare some years ago now.

I never received any instructions with the console, so I'm mainly using Deems website as a guide as he also installed the same overhead console. The console installation is generally fiddly but not 'rocket science'.

If anyone has any instructions that would be appreciated but not essential, however I'd really like to know what people used to seal the aft flange of the overhead console to the aft bulkhead in the baggage bay please?

For information purposes, I'm using the same vents as Deems did, the black anodised aluminium vents from Stein, however I'm using the touch activated and touch dimming lights from Aveo, which can be selected from white to red LED in the same light. They are 'wicked'. No switches need to be installed, as the switching is touch sensitive. Also reduces wiring too.

I'm also using LED's in the baggage bay, rather than the standard light.

Warm regards from Oz

Patrick

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rleffler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

I have Geoff's overhead. Mine fits almost flush against the baggage
bulkhead. I just used some standard weather stripping as a seal.

bob

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Thanks Bob

Warm regards

Patrick

On 30/09/2012, at 8:59 AM, "Bob Leffler" <rv(at)thelefflers.com> wrote:

[quote]

I have Geoff's overhead. Mine fits almost flush against the baggage
bulkhead. I just used some standard weather stripping as a seal.

bob

--

n223rv(at)wolflakeairport

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

I used mold release on the baggage wall, cut the overhead as close as I could, then laid up epoxy/flox/glass to fill the gap. Then I removed the top, built an aft wall in the overhead plenum to seal it off and make it a pressurized chamber (ie, it doesn't need to seal against the aft baggage wall). Installed two 2" ducts and ran those to the naca inlets.

I can send Picts in a few days if necessary.
-Mike Kraus

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 29, 2012, at 6:32 PM, Patrick Pulis <rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Quote:

Hi guys,

I'm installing a fibreglass overhead console which I purchased from the late Tony Sustare some years ago now.

I never received any instructions with the console, so I'm mainly using Deems website as a guide as he also installed the same overhead console. The console installation is generally fiddly but not 'rocket science'.

If anyone has any instructions that would be appreciated but not essential, however I'd really like to know what people used to seal the aft flange of the overhead console to the aft bulkhead in the baggage bay please?

For information purposes, I'm using the same vents as Deems did, the black anodised aluminium vents from Stein, however I'm using the touch activated and touch dimming lights from Aveo, which can be selected from white to red LED in the same light. They are 'wicked'. No switches need to be installed, as the switching is touch sensitive. Also reduces wiring too.

I'm also using LED's in the baggage bay, rather than the standard light.

Warm regards from Oz

Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Mike I was thinking of doing that installation technique, thereby eliminating the need for a seal.

Pictures would be appreciated when you are able please.

Many thanks.

Warm regards

Patrick

On 30/09/2012, at 11:34 AM, Michael Kraus <n223rv(at)wolflakeairport.net> wrote:

Quote:

I used mold release on the baggage wall, cut the overhead as close as I could, then laid up epoxy/flox/glass to fill the gap. Then I removed the top, built an aft wall in the overhead plenum to seal it off and make it a pressurized chamber (ie, it doesn't need to seal against the aft baggage wall). Installed two 2" ducts and ran those to the naca inlets.

I can send Picts in a few days if necessary.
-Mike Kraus

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 29, 2012, at 6:32 PM, Patrick Pulis <rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm installing a fibreglass overhead console which I purchased from the late Tony Sustare some years ago now.
>
> I never received any instructions with the console, so I'm mainly using Deems website as a guide as he also installed the same overhead console. The console installation is generally fiddly but not 'rocket science'.
>
> If anyone has any instructions that would be appreciated but not essential, however I'd really like to know what people used to seal the aft flange of the overhead console to the aft bulkhead in the baggage bay please?
>
> For information purposes, I'm using the same vents as Deems did, the black anodised aluminium vents from Stein, however I'm using the touch activated and touch dimming lights from Aveo, which can be selected from white to red LED in the same light. They are 'wicked'. No switches need to be installed, as the switching is touch sensitive. Also reduces wiring too.
>
> I'm also using LED's in the baggage bay, rather than the standard light.
>
> Warm regards from Oz
>
> Patrick

Eric_Kallio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

I have the same console. I can tell you that the instructions are not that good. I will try and get to the hanger tomorrow and see if I still have them. If I can find them I will get them posted here for you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Eric, I can't seem to get enough clearance with the front vents (Steins) as they hit the cabin top when positioned in the front holes which re pre-recessed into the fibreglass molding of the overhead console.

Any suggestions would be appreciated please?

I've considered positioning the front vents further aft.

Warm regards

Patrick

On 30/09/2012, at 12:28 PM, "Eric_Kallio" <scout019(at)msn.com> wrote:

Quote:

I have the same console. I can tell you that the instructions are not that good. I will try and get to the hanger tomorrow and see if I still have them. If I can find them I will get them posted here for you.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=384288#384288

Eric_Kallio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Patrick, I dug through the hanger and the garage and do not have the 'instructions' for the overhead. You aren't missing much though by way of guidance from them though. On my installation I had no issue with the vent clearance. I tried to attach a close up picture of my vent so you could compare. Were I really had trouble was the joggle on the canopy cover over the back seats. Not even close is an understatement. Not only was it not in the ballpark, but we were playing different sports. I had to do remove the sides for about 8 inches forward and aft of the joggle and reshape it all. Minor work in the grand scheme of things. I did not however have an issue with clearance. With the vents installed there is no restriction of movement and with about 3/4" between the vent and the canopy I get plenty of airflow. Never had the vents fully open in cruise. Getting a whole lot of air out of them. Feel free to PM me if there are any specifics I can try to help you with.

Eric

Close up of vent[1].jpg
 Description:
Close up of the vent
 Filesize:  2.71 MB
 Viewed:  14005 Time(s)

Close up of vent[1].jpg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Eric, I had no issues down he back, it's the front that's giving me grief.

I'll need to build up he front with a small base in order to lower the vents away from the overhead and the cabin top on order for the vents to clear the cabin top.

I'll get there, however progress is slow.

Warm regards

Patrick

On 02/10/2012, at 5:37 AM, "Eric_Kallio" <scout019(at)msn.com> wrote:

Quote:

Patrick, I dug through the hanger and the garage and do not have the 'instructions' for the overhead. You aren't missing much though by way of guidance from them though. On my installation I had no issue with the vent clearance. I tried to attach a close up picture of my vent so you could compare. Were I really had trouble was the joggle on the canopy cover over the back seats. Not even close is an understatement. Not only was it not in the ballpark, but we were playing different sports. I had to do remove the sides for about 8 inches forward and aft of the joggle and reshape it all. Minor work in the grand scheme of things. I did not however have an issue with clearance. With the vents installed there is no restriction of movement and with about 3/4" between the vent and the canopy I get plenty of airflow. Never had the vents fully open in cruise. Getting a whole lot of air out of them. Feel free to PM me if there are any specifics I can try to help you with.

Eric

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=384406#384406

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/close_up_of_vent1_364.jpg

trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Guys

Can you tell someone that doesn’t know anything about this overhead console, where does the fresh air to these vents come from?

Thanks
Carlos

[quote] --

aerosport1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Carlos here are some pictures that might help. Just put a NACA scoop as in the photo 2" scat tubing from the NACA
to the bulk head fittings as in the pictures.
Hope this helps

Geoff Combs

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Carlos Trigo
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:36 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Re: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console

Guys

Can you tell someone that doesn’t know anything about this overhead console, where does the fresh air to these vents come from?

Thanks
Carlos

[quote] --

IMG_1298.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  555.62 KB
 Viewed:  13982 Time(s)

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  353.41 KB

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  350.79 KB

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  431.92 KB

IMG_1304.jpg

naca_1_130.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  320.91 KB

naca_1_130.jpg

glastar(at)gmx.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Carlos,

there are several ideas around however at the end it is always the need
to create an outside air opening going into that overhead console, that
could be an NACA inlet on the top (do not forget to care for the water
entering it or you have a shower Wink or some other opening bringing via a
duct some fresh air to that console.

For Iberia you could look into an aircon as well instead?

Cheers

Werner

On 02.10.2012 14:35, Carlos Trigo wrote:
[quote] Guys

Can you tell someone that doesn’t know anything about this overhead
console, where does the fresh air to these vents come from?

Thanks

Carlos

> --

trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Thanks Geoff

Indeed a picture (several pictures is even better) is worth a million words....
They sure helped.

Carlos

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Geoff Combs
Sent: terça-feira, 2 de Outubro de 2012 14:01

Carlos here are some pictures that might help. Just put a NACA scoop as in the photo 2" scat tubing from the NACA
to the bulk head fittings as in the pictures.
Hope this helps

[b]Geoff Combs [/b]

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Carlos Trigo
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:36 AM
Guys

Thanks
Carlos

[quote] --

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Carlos,

I have 260 hours with Aerosport's overhead console. It is one of the few must have's in my opinion. Really nice haveing multiple areas to adjust air instead of one blasting your left kneecap.

Interior sm4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.59 KB
 Viewed:  13972 Time(s)

Interior sm4.jpg

SuperSTOL 60 hours
trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

That’s right Werner

I will consider the aircon option, but I need to know prices and weights......

Carlos

[quote] --

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Sure Sean, I wish I had the console, but you've got to admit
it's kind of nice having that vent on the side...you can
blast the air right up one leg of your shorts, and then
that jungle air comes flowing right out the other leg hole.
What a relief in summer! I can't let the wife do that...
the whistling noise is at the wrong freq. for my ANR
headsets. Smile (sorry, couldn't resist)

Tim
do not archive

On 10/2/2012 9:45 AM, Strasnuts wrote:
Quote:

Carlos,

I have 260 hours with Aerosport's overhead console. It is one of the
few must have's in my opinion. Really nice haveing multiple areas to
adjust air instead of one blasting your left kneecap.

-------- 40936 RV-10 SB N801VR Flying

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Touche!

---

SuperSTOL 60 hours
aerosport1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Tim that made me LOL. Good reply
Geoff Combs

--

philperry9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

Sounds like you need to have another kid, Tim. That'll shift the frequency a couple of octaves lower and it should get caught in the headset with the engine noise.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 2, 2012, at 10:08 AM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com> wrote:

Quote:

Sure Sean, I wish I had the console, but you've got to admit
it's kind of nice having that vent on the side...you can
blast the air right up one leg of your shorts, and then
that jungle air comes flowing right out the other leg hole.
What a relief in summer! I can't let the wife do that...
the whistling noise is at the wrong freq. for my ANR
headsets. Smile (sorry, couldn't resist)

Tim
do not archive

On 10/2/2012 9:45 AM, Strasnuts wrote:
>
>
> Carlos,
>
> I have 260 hours with Aerosport's overhead console. It is one of the
> few must have's in my opinion. Really nice haveing multiple areas to
> adjust air instead of one blasting your left kneecap.
>
> -------- 40936 RV-10 SB N801VR Flying
>
>

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: RV-10 Fibreglass Overhead Console Reply with quote

I never get a chance to use these acronyms, but...
ROTFLMAO!

do NOT archive
On 10/2/2012 11:31 AM, Phil Perry wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like you need to have another kid, Tim. That'll shift the
frequency a couple of octaves lower and it should get caught in the
headset with the engine noise.

Sent from my iPhone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: