Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

701 Fuel system and torque tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxjohansson(at)elisanet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: 701 Fuel system and torque tube Reply with quote

Re Torque tube

There is nothing wrong per se with the 701 control torque tube but the whole setup is a kludge resulting in one side biased flaperon control and also in simultaneously sloppy and too rigid elevator control cables. Using a inner coaxial tube in order to separate the two control inputs is also for me the best thing I have done in my 701 so far in order to make flying more enjoyable and precise. By selecting a slightly thicker wall for the inner tube It is easy to show using simple rotational inertia calculations that the strenght of the inner tube is at least equal to the outer tube. No fancy calculations is needed.

Re Snorkel fuel caps and fuel spillage

I have not had any issues with my snorkel caps if left pointed into the wind after fuelling. All fuel spillage has come from the quick drains. It seems that the small o-ring in the quick drain cannot handle the alcohol in the fuel. Fortunately I had an extra quick drain and could prepare one at a time with new viton o-rings. Unfortunately I exchanged them on the go without emptying the tanks, so each time some fuel was spilled into my shirt sleeve. My wife was not a friend that night.

best regards
Max
NYTerminat(at)aol.com kirjoitti:
Quote:
I put on snorkel caps that has a pitot tube that faces front. Make sure if
using your standard Zenith caps, that you have drilled the extra holes in
them according to the dwgs.

There is nothing wrong with the Zenith touque tube.

In a message dated 11/25/2012 2:38:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
minisalways(at)shaw.ca writes:

<minisalways(at)shaw.ca>

Hello I am very new to this forum. I have built a CH701 and it has been
test flown with no major issues but I am wondering about those gas tank
caps. Do they vent properly? Do they allow even flow distribution? Or, should I
be looking for a better option?

Also, I too was not happy with the original setup for the bellcrank/torque
tube. I used the example from the Zenair newsletter that a builder
submitted and I have to say that it works great. Wonder if Zenair could adopt it
as the new standard
bob

--------
not sure what this is?

Read this topic online here:
http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=388926#388926

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: 701 Fuel system and torque tube Reply with quote

Geez.... I always thought the controls in the 701's were identical to the 801's, other then upsizing the material used to construct them. I thought the geometry of them were the same. My 801 does NOT show signs of biasing the flaperons and the elevator is nice and smooth during its movement. I did go a little overboard in making sure all my controls had very little if any play in them. I also use the No Slot Flaperon design as my plane was the prototype and the dozens of others that have bought that kit from me or constructed their own set up have not mentioned any quirks in their control system.
As for the fuel vent /spillage issue, when I built my 801 I incorporated additional fuel vents in my tanks that exit the lower skin of the wing. On my first flight with the stock caps it was clear the 701/ 801 wing design has so much suction on the top of the wing as to pull fuel out through the vent holes in the staock caps with the fuel level at 3/4 to full. I simply epoxied those holes over, basicially making the caps a sealed unit and by using my additional vents, the fuel system has worked perfectly for over 400 hours. Even with my higher fuel flows of 25+ GPH during take off there has not been an issue with venting. IMHO.
do not archive
Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

--------

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

striplic(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: 701 Fuel system and torque tube Reply with quote

Max,

I have been reading this with interest. I am at the stage of installing the fuselage controls and would like to know of alternative methods other than the stock cable arrangement. I am unfamiliar with what you are describing in the "inner coaxial tube" method of controlling the elevators separate from the ailerons. Do you have any pictures of your arrangement and/or pointers to suppliers of materials. I would appreciate any information.

I did see an arrangement while in Oshkosh this year where the builder installed push pull tubes (such as in Van's RVs). I can't attempt anything heavy that will increase weight in the tail as I will have more of a weight balance problem (I already have changed out the fuselage fuel tank in favor of the wing tanks which is already a big weight change toward the rear. His was the "turbo-prop engined Zenith that was causing such a stir. It was highly modified and done with flush rivets. My engine will be the Rotax 532 with wooden prop.

Thanks,
Cliff

striplic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 701 Fuel system and torque tube Reply with quote

Max (and all),

I have been reading this with interest. I am at the stage of installing the fuselage controls and would like to know of alternative methods other than the stock cable arrangement. I am unfamiliar with what you are describing in the "inner coaxial tube" method of controlling the elevators separate from the ailerons. Do you have any pictures of your arrangement and/or pointers to suppliers of coaxial materials. I would appreciate any information.

I did see an arrangement while in Oshkosh this year where the builder installed push pull tubes (such as in Van's RVs). I can't attempt anything heavy that will increase weight in the tail as I already have a weight balance problem having changed out the fuselage fuel tank in favor of the wing tanks. His was the turbo-prop engined Zenith that was causing such a stir. It is highly modified and done with flush rivets. My engine will be the Rotax 532 with wooden prop so I need all the weight up front I can manage.

Thanks,
Cliff

PS If anyone has a Rotax side mount exhaust system including the manifold I need the complete system including accessories (I have the brackets). If it has been altered to fit the older 701 kit that would be even better.

maxjohansson(at)elisanet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: 701 Fuel system and torque tube Reply with quote

Cliff,

sorry, my description was somewhat misleading to someone not yet working on the discussed parts. There is no push pull tubes apart from the 7C1-3 connected to the stick. The aileron is controlled using the new inner tube and the arm assembly welded to the 7C2-2 tube is now fixed and non-rotating. This rotation was the original evil. From the stick the 7C1-3 control rod must additionally now use real bearing rod ends and not only simple bolts and tube holes as before. Many methods to fix the arm assembly has been described and depicted on the various 701 lists. The best description of the tubes (with pictures and some material dimensions) have in my opinion been submitted by Joe Truncale. The CrMo 4130 structural tubes with suitable OD and ID can be ordered from Aircraft Spruce. The table is on page 62, but my catalogue is a few years old . . .

BR Max
Stripling Cliff & Carolyn [striplic(at)gmail.com] kirjoitti:
Quote:

Max,

I have been reading this with interest. I am at the stage of installing the fuselage controls and would like to know of alternative methods other than the stock cable arrangement. I am unfamiliar with what you are describing in the "inner coaxial tube" method of controlling the elevators separate from the ailerons. Do you have any pictures of your arrangement and/or pointers to suppliers of materials. I would appreciate any information.

I did see an arrangement while in Oshkosh this year where the builder installed push pull tubes (such as in Van's RVs). I can't attempt anything heavy that will increase weight in the tail as I will have more of a weight balance problem (I already have changed out the fuselage fuel tank in favor of the wing tanks which is already a big weight change toward the rear. His was the "turbo-prop engined Zenith that was causing such a stir. It was highly modified and done with flush rivets. My engine will be the Rotax 532 with wooden prop.

Thanks,
Cliff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: