Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Landing Gear Vibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cv93436(at)windstream.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Landing Gear Vibration Reply with quote

Landing gear vibration is caused by the main gear not tracking parallel to the axis of the aircraft. Mine tracked 4 and 1/2 inches toed in on the R and 1 and 1/2 inches on the L for 13 feet of travel. The tires had to slip side ways 50 feet for every 1300 teet of run way travel!! the R tire was noticably more worn than the L. You can check this by sighting along the brake disc and marking a point in front of the plane in line with the disc. Chalk lines on the floor parallel to the axis of the plane. Correct the alignment by oblonging the holes in the gear mounting bracket, turning the gear leg in or out and making shims out of a 3/8 inch washer to make the holes round again and replacing the gear bolts. No more vibration!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
kdbelue(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Landing Gear Vibration Reply with quote

Which holes are you making oblong?
Kevin Belue

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2012, at 8:51 AM, "Carroll L. Verhage" <cv93436(at)windstream.net (cv93436(at)windstream.net)> wrote:

[quote] Landing gear vibration is caused by the main gear not tracking parallel to the axis of the aircraft. Mine tracked 4 and 1/2 inches toed in on the R and 1 and 1/2 inches on the L for 13 feet of travel. The tires had to slip side ways 50 feet for every 1300 teet of run way travel!! the R tire was noticably more worn than the L. You can check this by sighting along the brake disc and marking a point in front of the plane in line with the disc. Chalk lines on the floor parallel to the axis of the plane. Correct the alignment by oblonging the holes in the gear mounting bracket, turning the gear leg in or out and making shims out of a 3/8 inch washer to make the holes round again and replacing the gear bolts. No more vibration!
Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Lew Gallagher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Landing Gear Vibration Reply with quote

Hey Carroll,

Nice clean solution to a messy problem discussed here frequently. I’d probably use a laser to shoot the lines along the brake rotor. I assume you are talking about the hard to get to mounting holes in the upper leg under the seats? That’s pretty hard steel – how did you oblong it? And how did you make a shim out of a 3/8 washer to make it round again? A visual would help if you had a pic. Glad to hear that you solved your problem.

Later, – Lew “relieved not to have had this problem .. yet” Gallagher

do not archive

[quote][b]

NOW OFICIALLY BUILDER #40549
Fly off completed !
Strasnuts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Landing Gear Vibration Reply with quote

I actually aligned mine too during the build. I believe my right side was out and left side was in. I ended up calling Vans to see if I could drill the hole oversize and use a bigger bolt. Vans said that would be fine so I spot welded the top of the gear in the correct position then drilled the bigger hole and ground off the spot weld and inserted the new bolt.
They both measured the same toe in.
After flying I noticed the shimmy. Having the gear tracking the same didn't do the trick on mine. I ended up needing gear leg stiffeners which ended up fixing the problem. My tires wear the same.
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2012, at 14:12, <lewgall(at)charter.net (lewgall(at)charter.net)> wrote:
[quote] Hey Carroll,

Nice clean solution to a messy problem discussed here frequently. I’d probably use a laser to shoot the lines along the brake rotor. I assume you are talking about the hard to get to mounting holes in the upper leg under the seats? That’s pretty hard steel – how did you oblong it? And how did you make a shim out of a 3/8 washer to make it round again? A visual would help if you had a pic. Glad to hear that you solved your problem.

Later, – Lew “relieved not to have had this problem ... yet” Gallagher

do not archive

Quote:

===================================
ctric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
uilthelp.com

matronics.com/contribution
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
cs.com

[b]

SuperSTOL 60 hours
aircraftspecialty(at)gmai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Landing Gear Vibration Reply with quote

We don't have the main gear vibration on ours either thankfully. But the gear leg stiffeners seem to help a lot if you can't get tire pressures, etc to change them.
We sell them at www.aircraftspecialty.com/rvall1.html
If you buy them and they don't work to your satisfaction, we will happily refund your purchase price. You don't even have to return them. (it would be difficult because they will be fiberglassed on)
Have a great day
Steve
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2012, at 14:23, Seano <sean(at)braunandco.com (sean(at)braunandco.com)> wrote:

[quote]I actually aligned mine too during the build. I believe my right side was out and left side was in. I ended up calling Vans to see if I could drill the hole oversize and use a bigger bolt. Vans said that would be fine so I spot welded the top of the gear in the correct position then drilled the bigger hole and ground off the spot weld and inserted the new bolt.
They both measured the same toe in.
After flying I noticed the shimmy. Having the gear tracking the same didn't do the trick on mine. I ended up needing gear leg stiffeners which ended up fixing the problem. My tires wear the same.
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2012, at 14:12, <lewgall(at)charter.net (lewgall(at)charter.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Hey Carroll,

Later, – Lew “relieved not to have had this problem ... yet” Gallagher

do not archive

Quote:

ctric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
uilthelp.com

cs.com

ctric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
uilthelp.com

cs.com

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: