Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused about FAA Registration ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsbiser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Confused about FAA Registration ... Reply with quote

I recently bought a used Kolb Mark III Xtra. It already has an airworthiness certificate, but it has been de-registered by the former owner. In other words, he canceled the N Number and removed it from the aircraft.

I have reserved a new N Number.

Can anyone help me understand what registration process I must go through to register the plane with my newly reserved N Number? What forms must I submit, etc.?

Thanks,

Scott

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Cincinnati, Ohio

Mark III Xtra
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Confused about FAA Registration ... Reply with quote

call your local Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)

BOYD YOUNG

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rickofudall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Confused about FAA Registration ... Reply with quote

That will be a tough one. About the only option open to you is Experimental Exhibition since you didn't build it and it can't go Experimental Amateur Built.

Rick Girard

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM, b young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "b young" <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)>

BOYD YOUNG

--

herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Confused about FAA Registration ... Reply with quote

Buy some paperwork from a wreck?? Herb

At 12:33 PM 1/22/2013, you wrote:
[quote]That will be a tough one. About the only option open to you is Experimental Exhibition since you didn't build it and it can't go Experimental Amateur Built.

Rick Girard

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM, b young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com) > wrote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "b young" <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com) >

BOYD YOUNG

--

alienwes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused about FAA Registration ... Reply with quote

Since you have an Airworthiness Certificate I think there is hope. The N-Number is nothing more than a $5 fee to the FAA. The AIRWORTHINESS CERTIFICATE is the one thats hard to get. I ran across this on another forum.
"So, if you don't re-register and you lose your N-number, you should still be able to get your aircraft re-instated. You'd have to register it and, if more than 90 days past due, it would be registered under a new N-number. You would then have to take your AWC and Ops Limits to the FSDO and have them re-issued under the new N-number. It shouldn't be anymore complicated than getting new paperwork after changing the N-number to a unique number (vanity number.) (I've done that. It's not too much trouble to do."

Now, if it was the other way around and you only had an N number and NO Airworthiness Cert, you would be screwed. Only route then would be Experimental Exhibition.

Congrats on your new plane as I am jealous,

Wes

rickofudall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Confused about FAA Registration ... Reply with quote

Wes, Most of what you say is true, unless your airplane is E-LSA and not derived from an S-LSA airplane (like the RV-12) or demoted from an S-LSA when the manufacturer went out of business. If you let your registration expire on an E-LSA that was registered during the grandfathering phase of starting up LSA there is no way to go back and re-register. Why, because 21.191 i(1) expired on 1-31-2008. The version of form 8088A that was used during the grandfathering period to apply for registration expired then, too. I'm sure the good folks at the Light Sport Branch of the FAA in Oklahoma City are tired of confirming it, but you can call them and check it out.

Rick Girard
do not archive

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM, alienwes <elliott.wesley(at)yahoo.com (elliott.wesley(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "alienwes" <elliott.wesley(at)yahoo.com (elliott.wesley(at)yahoo.com)>

Since you have an Airworthiness Certificate I think there is hope. The N-Number is nothing more than a $5 fee to the FAA. The AIRWORTHINESS CERTIFICATE is the one thats hard to get. I ran across this on another forum.
"So, if you don't re-register and you lose your N-number, you should still be able to get your aircraft re-instated. You'd have to register it and, if more than 90 days past due, it would be registered under a new N-number. You would then have to take your AWC and Ops Limits to the FSDO and have them re-issued under the new N-number. It shouldn't be anymore complicated than getting new paperwork after changing the N-number to a unique number (vanity number.) (I've done that. It's not too much trouble to do."

Now, if it was the other way around and you only had an N number and NO Airworthiness Cert, you would be screwed. Only route then would be Experimental Exhibition.

Congrats on your new plane as I am jealous,

Wes

--------
Wesley Elliott
Sport Pilot-PPC

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=392910#392910

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

[quote][b]

alienwes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused about FAA Registration ... Reply with quote

Rick,
You are right on those E-LSA's that were given an Airworthiness Cert that expired. If his Airworthiness Cert has an "unlimited" for the expiration which most do, I still think he will be just fine. The only thing that he needs is an N number. Not hard to get. I believe the ones that have an expiration on them had until Jan 1 2010 to make them unlimited, and that date has passed also.
Wes

rsbiser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused about FAA Registration ... Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help.

Just to be clear, the Airworthiness Certificate is EAB issued in March of '07 with an UNLIMITED Expiry Date.
It does include the old N Number which the previous owner transferred to another airplane. I already have my new N Number reserved. So, it looks like I'll just have to wrestle through the process with the FSDO.

Hope it won't be too painful.

Thanks,

Scott

Cincinnati, Ohio

Mark III Xtra
alienwes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Confused about FAA Registration ... Reply with quote

Scott,

Please update us when you talk to the FSDO.

Forum: Did not want to come across as arguing on this forum. I really just want to get along with all members and contribute and learn as much as I can.

Wes

Tom McCarthy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Confused about FAA Registration ... Reply with quote

Quote:
[b]Time:06:51:31 PM PST USSubject:Re: Confused about FAA Registration ..From:Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> Wes, Most of what you say is true, unless your airplane is E-LSA and not derived from an S-LSA airplane (like the RV-12) or demoted from an S-LSA when the manufacturer went out of business. If you let your registration expire on an E-LSA that was registered during the grandfathering phase of starting up LSA there is no way to go back and re-register. Why, because 21.191 i(1) expired on 1-31-2008. The version of form 8088A that was used during the grandfathering period to apply for registration expired then, too. I'm sure the good folks at the Light Sport Branch of the FAA in Oklahoma City are tired of confirming it, but you can call them and check it out.
Rick,
This has come up in the past regarding E-LSA registration expiring. I just talked to Tim Bogenhagen at EAA, and he told me this is not so. If you are the owner of an expired E-LSA, you simply have to send in form 8050-1. He said since you already own the plane, you do not have to submit form 8050-2 or show evidence of ownership. Whats more, he said if you purchase the plane with an expired N-number, you can submit "its equivalent" to evidence of ownership, as prescribed in part 47, and on the instructions of form 8050-1. I am certainly no expert on issues with the FAA, and I know that the EAA is not perfect, but he sounded like he's been down this path before. I encourage people to always do their own leg work and take info on forums with a grain of salt. As you said, call the FAA.
Tom McCarthyN863GB SlingshotN441TM FirestarN541TM Zenith 601HDAll registered E-LSA----All registrations currentBack to lurking mode, and maybe build mode very soon.
[/b] [quote][b]

N863GB Kolb Slingshot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: