Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matco brakes question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Strahan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Matco brakes question Reply with quote

I had a couple of the bolts that hold the disk on the wheel break recently. I had the old style safety-wired bolts.

I ordered and received the upgraded wheels from Matco along with the new button head screws and washers. Nick had told me to have a good quality hex driver and torque wrench, which I thought I had. On the third bolt, the head easily stripped before 80 inch-lbs. Sad

Well, I have some of the previous cap head screws, and I'm curious if anyone sees a reason not to use one. In fact, I'd rather have cap head screws all the way around. These 1/8" drive button head screws are just too small in my opinion. I don't want to be jacking with or worrying about this every time the wheels come off.

So, question 1: Does anyone know why the switch to button head?
Question 2: Any reason not to stick with the cap head?
Question 3: If I use the cap head will that work with the new Nord Lock washers, or just keep safety wiring? (I'm somewhat partial to the safety wire, as it seems pretty fool proof.)

It's a gorgeous day in Dallas, and I want to go flying. I must have done something wrong to someone to have a problem with the last bolt before putting wheel pants on and going.

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
checkpoint2(at)centurylin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Matco brakes question Reply with quote

I'm using Allen head cap screws with washers as supplied by MATCO a year
ago. no more separation on sand 1943 concrete runways. Bob Haas
#41 N330BH

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

barnett6088(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Matco brakes question Reply with quote

Bill
I had the same problem with the Matco furnished button heads stripping out.  Matco sent some new ones but they were also soft.  I bought some button head screws identical to the Matco ones at ACE hardware.  They gave me no trouble torquing them to 80 inch pounds.  They have been holding the disks on for 150 hours with no trouble. Gary Barnett N335AL SN133

Quote:
Subject: Matco brakes question
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 11:34:34 -0800
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com

--> Lightning-List message posted by: "Bill Strahan" <bill(at)gdsx.com>

I had a couple of the bolts that hold the disk on the wheel break recently. I had the old style safety-wired bolts.

I ordered and received the upgraded wheels from Matco along with the new button head screws and washers. Nick had told me to have a good quality hex driver and torque wrench, which I thought I had. On the third bolt, the head easily stripped before 80 inch-lbs. Sad

Well, I have some of the previous cap head screws, and I'm curious if anyone sees a reason not to use one. In fact, I'd rather have cap head screws all the way around. These 1/8" drive button head screws are just too small in my opinion. I don't want to be jacking with or worrying about this every time the wheels come off.

Question 3: If I use the cap head will that work with the new Nord Lock washers, or just keep safety wiring? (I'm somewhat partial to the safety wire, as it seems pretty fool proof.)

It's a gorgeous day in Dallas, and I want to go flying. I must have done something wrong to someone to have a problem with the last bolt before putting wheel pants on and going.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=394873#394873

&g===========

Quote:

[quote][b]

geather

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Matco brakes question Reply with quote

Bill,

Same problem early in my test program - brake disc separated and required a replacement wheel.

Matco confirmed that 80 inch pounds was the correct torque for the button head bolts. This seemed too tight to me, even though the originals (with Nord Lock washers) came loose.

And like yourself, I did strip one head before 80 inch pounds when assembling the new wheel. Was lucky I had a spare bolt.

Current button head bolts with Nord Lock washers seem to be fine after about 30 hours flight time.

Cheers

Geoff Eather (Kit 127) Australia

On 24/02/2013, at 6:34 AM, Bill Strahan wrote:

Quote:

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=394873#394873

wb2ssj(at)rochester.rr.co

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Matco brakes question Reply with quote

Bill, I am sticking with the cap screws and safety wire.
Tex

---

n5pb(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Matco brakes question Reply with quote

Bill,
I too received the new button head screws after MATCO service bulletin came out a couple of years ago. I've not had any problem to  torque them to the 80 in Lbs. Also, I have had the wheels off several times and each time I installed with new button head screws and washers without incident.

Bear

--

mark(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Matco brakes question Reply with quote

To Bill and the list,

I forwarded Bill's questions to George Happ of MATCO Mfg and below is his
response. For clarification BHCS= Button Head Cap Screw. SHCS= Socket Head
Cap Screw.

He does not recommend using the Nordlocs with the SHCS so if you stay with
cap screws then you should use safety wire.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Mark,
The NordLoc washers do a better job of maintaining the preload in the bolts.
They require a larger diameter head than the socket head (SHCS) provides
hence the switch to the button head (BHCS). We do not recommend their use
with the SHCS.

The BHCS will work fine at 80 in-lb with a good fitting allen head drive.

George R Happ
MATCO mfg
801-335-0582 801-335-0581 (F)
www.matcomfg.com
Technical Support Disclaimer: While we strive to ensure that the
advice/information provided through our support is correct, MATCO mfg does
not accept any responsibility for errors or omissions. Any advice or
information that MATCO mfg gives you via any form of communication is not a
guarantee that it will correct your problem. It is only offered as
assistance to you.
MATCO mfg will not be held responsible for any loss or damage as a result of
our advice or information supplied.

Bill Strahan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Matco brakes question Reply with quote

Yeah, George was super helpful when I called and chatted with him. I would have called Matco directly on this point as well, but it was Saturday, and based on feedback I was hoping to still get to go flying. Smile

I looked more closely at the bolt that had the problem. There is some material in the hex cutout that shouldn't be there, and that prevents the hex drive from fully seating. I'd guess the driver can only engage about halfway, rather than bottoming out in the hole it hits the flash/metal sticking up on the inside and only partially engages.

I tried to get it with a pick, but it's not coming out. It just looks like a manufacturing defect. So I chunked that bolt and will be getting another. All the other bolts went in fine to 80 in-lbs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: