Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alodine treatment of aluminium parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjburns(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Alodine treatment of aluminium parts Reply with quote

Hi ,
I have new outrigger brackets that I was about to etch prime and paint, what is the durability of alodine ...has it been used unpainted ? if so how well did it protect ?

If it is better painted on top of... what benefit is there over etch primer and twin pack paint?

Any source for small quantity known in UK ?

regards
Kevin

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Ron Jones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Alodine treatment of aluminium parts Reply with quote

Hello Kevin,

There is no doubt in my mind that Alodine is the way to go!
It is so easy to use and vastly improves the life of the part treated. Just normal u/coat and paint finish will adhere to it perfectly well - but it can be left un-painted if you prefer.
When treated, the aluminium takes on a lovely, golden colour but I chose to paint all my bits (and those on the aeroplane as well!)
Its about 14 years since I built G-RJWX and there are no signs anywhere of corrosion on the ally parts. Sadly, there is a Classic locally that had no Alodine treatment and all the flap and out-rigger brackets are quite badly corroded. It will need a lot of work to correct it.
I bought from Henkel, in the London area somewhere. I also bought their De-oxidant stuff (recommended prior to alodine treatment.) and they delivered to me here in North Wales FOC. I bought 5 litres of each which I think is the minimum they'll supply.
Just a tip if I may. If I were building another Europa (lovely thought but I'm not as I'm now in my 83rd year!) I would gently radius all the edges on all of the various brackets. They don't need to be sharp-edged and paint doesn't stick to sharp corners. Use very fine (400 or more) wet & dry paper to get a super-smooth finish to the edges, a good wash with De-oxidant and then immerse in the alodine until you see that golden colour (about 3 - 5 mins) rise under the tap and hang up to dry.
You'll love the results! (Sounds like an advert, doesn't it?)
Hope my ha'penny worth is useful - enjoy the rest of the build.
Regards,
Ron Jones.

I would go for the
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kelvin Weston

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Alodine treatment of aluminium parts Reply with quote

Hi Kevin

Try www.silmid.com in the UK. They stock Alocrom and Alodine in various quantities including a touch n go pen.
LAS stock Alocrom but the quantity may be larger than you need.

Kelv Weston
Kit 497
kelv@kdweston.co.uk
Kelvin Weston

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Alodine treatment of aluminium parts Reply with quote

Hi Kevin

Almost forgot, the pretreatment to de-oxidise the metal that Ron refers to is Deoxidine 624. Also available from both suppliers.

Kelv Weston
Kit 497
kelv@kdweston.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: