Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Of Rudder Pedals and Brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madriver42(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Of Rudder Pedals and Brakes Reply with quote

Ok 701ers,

Who has modified the rudder pedals so that your - read my - size 11 clod-hoppers don't interfere with the brakes when taking off or touching down.

Its not a non starter, but I find that it is very easy to get a "little" brake action while moving the pedals on takeoff and after landing if I am not super careful. Basically, I have to consciously move the heels of my shoes back so that only my tippy toes are on the rudder pedal bars. This works better in the summer while wearing tennies but suffers in the winter while wearing boots.

Thought about adjusting the brake part of the pedal arm fwd a little by adjusting the clevis on the brake cylinder but not sure that this is do-able. Right now my geometry is brake pedal aligned with the rudder pedal ie straight up and down.

Also thought about making some sort of piece that would go on the "rudder bar" part of the pedal to act as a spacer but this would shorten up an already short leg room dimension.

Don't want to get into a major rebuild here just tossing it out for your astute suggestions or a link to a previous discussion. 
ttfn

Still grinnin!!

Phil Smith
Buhl ID
CH 701 Rotax ULS [quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
sonar1@cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Rudder Pedals and Brakes Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
I had the same problem, and I solved it by changing my shoes. I got some "sock slippers" from LL Bean, and now can feel the rudder pedals and the brake with no problem.
They are wool socks with thin leather soles. I wear them all the time now..........Fred Sanford....701 912ul flying since 2005

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dougsnash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Of Rudder Pedals and Brakes Reply with quote

Phil, when I set up my brakes I had to run the clevis on the top of the brake cyl down a fair bit to get comfortable geometry. I then had to buzz the end of the threaded shaft off so there was no interference between the threaded shaft and the mounting bolt. Seem to remember it was fairly easy. I have size 10.5 feet and almost always wear steel toe safety boots and have no issues with bumping the brakes.

Hope this is helpful

Doug M
NW Ontario, Canada
CH-701 from scratch.

To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:49:54 AM
Subject: Zenith701801-List: Of Rudder Pedals and Brakes

Ok 701ers,

Who has modified the rudder pedals so that your - read my - size 11 clod-hoppers don't interfere with the brakes when taking off or touching down.

Its not a non starter, but I find that it is very easy to get a "little" brake action while moving the pedals on takeoff and after landing if I am not super careful. Basically, I have to consciously move the heels of my shoes back so that only my tippy toes are on the rudder pedal bars. This works better in the summer while wearing tennies but suffers in the winter while wearing boots.

Thought about adjusting the brake part of the pedal arm fwd a little by adjusting the clevis on the brake cylinder but not sure that this is do-able. Right now my geometry is brake pedal aligned with the rudder pedal ie straight up and down.

Also thought about making some sort of piece that would go on the "rudder bar" part of the pedal to act as a spacer but this would shorten up an already short leg room dimension.

Don't want to get into a major rebuild here just tossing it out for your astute suggestions or a link to a previous discussion.
ttfn

Still grinnin!!

Phil Smith
Buhl ID
CH 701 Rotax ULS
[quote]http://www.matroni====================

[b]

ronlee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Rudder Pedals and Brakes Reply with quote

I too had the same problem of riding the brakes. I solved it by adding to the rudder bar as you mentioned and it works very well. I don't have long legs so the shortened distance is not a problem for me. I suspect that Zenith kept the rudder pedals short because they had a header tank so couldn't make them longer to get more leverage at that time. My thinking is they just didn't change for whatever reason (maybe they had a bunch made up, didn't want to change the plans) when they removed the header tank.

dougsnash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Of Rudder Pedals and Brakes Reply with quote

Ron, at one time the 701had a problem with breaking rudder pedals so that is likely why they were not extended. The problem was fixed with heavier walled tubing but they probably kept the length short to limit stresses.

As I said originally, a little off the length of the master cyl pushrod and the brake T lays back quite nicely. No need for a major redesign.

Doug M

Sent from my iPad

On 2013-03-26, at 6:11 PM, "ronlee" <rlee468(at)comcast.net> wrote:

Quote:

I too had the same problem of riding the brakes. I solved it by adding to the rudder bar as you mentioned and it works very well. I don't have long legs so the shortened distance is not a problem for me. I suspect that Zenith kept the rudder pedals short because they had a header tank so couldn't make them longer to get more leverage at that time. My thinking is they just didn't change for whatever reason (maybe they had a bunch made up, didn't want to change the plans) when they removed the header tank.

--------
Ron Lee
Tucson, Arizona

Read this topic online here

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=397139#397139

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: