Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlegg(at)tpg.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am keen to know if anyone with a Jabiru engine has an Aerocarb fitted.
The web site makes a lot of claims, better performance, better economy
etc, and doesn't need carb heat box which is a big bonus. Any feedback
would be great.
Darryl.

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb Reply with quote

One thing that many have noticed is that the Aerocarb doesn't like fuel
systems with pumps. So avoid it if you are building a plane with wing tanks
like the 601XL. If you like the concept then consider the Ellison throttle
body - but it will cost you more.

www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/

-- Craig

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb Reply with quote

Another point: Jabiru isn't wild about supporting other carbs on their
engines. If your engine is damaged and if the carb could have caused it then
you may have warrantee issues. Check for the official word from your dealer.

-- Craig

--

p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb Reply with quote

Hi Darryl,

I don't have answers -- just more questions for you.

Why wouldn't a carburetor need a heat box? How does it deal with ice?

I am planning on purchasing a complete FWF engine package from
Jabiru. This will certainly contain the carburetor along with many
other things. Also, I think the engine comes standard with most
engine accessories except for vacuum pump. That leaves me asking why
would you remove the Bing carburetor to replace it with a different
brand? What is so bad about the Bing?

Paul
XL wings
do not archive
Quote:
I am keen to know if anyone with a Jabiru engine has an Aerocarb fitted.

paulrod36(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Paul W, I'll put my two cents in on this. Carbs need a carb heat box to avoid icing in certain temperature and humidity ranges. The reason for this is that the venturi in a carb creates a low pressure area, which then becomes colder, which in turn can create ice out of the water vapor in the air. Also, the volatile gasoline, as it evaporates, helps to chill the air even more  Blame this on Bernoulli's and Boyle's laws. However, some carbs do not have a venturi at all. There are several carbs out there that have a straight tube for a throat, a sliding plate for a throttle, and pull a tapered needle along with them out of a hole in the throat. (The further the needle is pulled, the more taper is exposed, and thus more fuel provided.) That tapered needle has the flat facing downstream, which causes a mild vacuum. That vacuum, aided by very modest fuel pressure, allows fuel to enter the intake stream, mix, vaporize, etc. Without a venturi to cause low pressure, and therefore lower temperature, ice has nowhere to form. They seem to work better on some engines than on others. Those for whom they work well, swear by them. I've seen them working fine on Soobs, and I may well try one on the Corvair. 

Paul Rodriguez
601XL/Corvair
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb Reply with quote

The Ellison is a throttle body like the Aerocarb. Cast into the metal are the words "CARB HEAT REQD". See the link below for details.

http://www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/faqs/carburetor_heat.htm

-- Craig

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of paulrod36(at)msn.com
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 1:02 PM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Zenith-List: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Paul W, I'll put my two cents in on this. Carbs need a carb heat box to avoid icing in certain temperature and humidity ranges. The reason for this is that the venturi in a carb creates a low pressure area, which then becomes colder, which in turn can create ice out of the water vapor in the air. Also, the volatile gasoline, as it evaporates, helps to chill the air even more  Blame this on Bernoulli's and Boyle's laws. However, some carbs do not have a venturi at all. There are several carbs out there that have a straight tube for a throat, a sliding plate for a throttle, and pull a tapered needle along with them out of a hole in the throat. (The further the needle is pulled, the more taper is exposed, and thus more fuel provided.) That tapered needle has the flat facing downstream, which causes a mild vacuum. That vacuum, aided by very modest fuel pressure, allows fuel to enter the intake stream, mix, vaporize, etc. Without a venturi to cause low pressure, and therefore lower temperature, ice has nowhere to form. They seem to work better on some engines than on others. Those for whom they work well, swear by them. I've seen them working fine on Soobs, and I may well try one on the Corvair. 

Paul Rodriguez
601XL/Corvair
[quote] ---

bjohnson(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb Reply with quote

Ellison says you need it, AeroConversions (Sonex) says you do not need it with the AeroCarb because there is very little surface to accumulate ice on the AeroCarb other than the “guillotine” type throttle plate which could easily be cleared by cycling the throttle (the Ellison looks very similar)

The Monett’s are a very conservative bunch, I seriously doubt they would be recommending skipping carb heat if there was any chance of icing clogging up the AeroCarb, I suspect Ellison just has more conservative lawyers???

-Bruce

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Craig Payne
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 2:24 PM
Subject: RE: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb

The Ellison is a throttle body like the Aerocarb. Cast into the metal are the words "CARB HEAT REQD". See the link below for details.

http://www.ellison-fluid-systems.com/faqs/carburetor_heat.htm

-- Craig

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of paulrod36(at)msn.com
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb
Paul W, I'll put my two cents in on this. Carbs need a carb heat box to avoid icing in certain temperature and humidity ranges. The reason for this is that the venturi in a carb creates a low pressure area, which then becomes colder, which in turn can create ice out of the water vapor in the air. Also, the volatile gasoline, as it evaporates, helps to chill the air even more  Blame this on Bernoulli's and Boyle's laws. However, some carbs do not have a venturi at all. There are several carbs out there that have a straight tube for a throat, a sliding plate for a throttle, and pull a tapered needle along with them out of a hole in the throat. (The further the needle is pulled, the more taper is exposed, and thus more fuel provided.) That tapered needle has the flat facing downstream, which causes a mild vacuum. That vacuum, aided by very modest fuel pressure, allows fuel to enter the intake stream, mix, vaporize, etc. Without a venturi to cause low pressure, and therefore lower temperature, ice has nowhere to form. They seem to work better on some engines than on others. Those for whom they work well, swear by them. I've seen them working fine on Soobs, and I may well try one on the Corvair. 

Paul Rodriguez

601XL/Corvair
[quote]
---

btucke73(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb Reply with quote

While they say that the Aerocarb is not succeptible to
carb icing, the Monnets wouldn't bet the farm on it.
When I purchased their custom filter for my Aerocarb,
it came with a legal disclaimer saying that the filter
is only for ground testing, and the carb should not be
operated in flight without the use of carb heat.

R/

Brandon

dlegg(at)tpg.com.au

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb Reply with quote

Hi Brandon,
Do you have any operating figures on the aerocarb, and what engine is it
on? How do you think it compares to a normal carburettor performance
wise and do you have a carb heat box fitted?
Darryl.

btucke73(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Bing carb vs Aerocarb Reply with quote

Darryl,

I have the 35mm spigot mount aerocarb mounted to
my corvair. I have a header tank, which works very
well with the carb. It has been shown by others not
to work well with wing tanks and fuel pumps, even with
expensive pressure regulators. My experience has been
very good. Setup is a sinch, and the engine runs very
good with it. It idles smoothly down to 500 rpm. I
did install a standard Cont carb heat box (ACS has
them for $140) and a homemade heat muff. It didn't
take long to fabricate. It runs the Corvair up to
about 2600+ RPM on a warp drive set at 9 deg. I will
hopefully have flight information to post in a month
or so. The only downside I have seen is that it is
basically a controlled leak. If you set the mixture
to full rich, and not start relatively quickly, it
will be dumping fuel into the carb heat box and, if
left that way, will just continue to drip... That is
the real function of the idle cutoff...

R/

Brandon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: