Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which crimper for Big AWG's on both HB *and* Certified?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Builder_Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Which crimper for Big AWG's on both HB *and* Certified? Reply with quote

I want to make a decision on sourcing a crimper & terminal set that I can use for Big AWG's on both E-AB and certified alike (one tool to rule them all).

This question has been eating me for a while. The sound judgement falls to me on HB/OBAM, but I've asked around a bit and nobody I've asked can tell me what crimper or process is kosher to repair on certified. I didn't ask an OEM or a FSDO and wasn't going to.

The next time I see a B-lead terminal that looks like it's about to fatigue off and ground big current or a batt cable chaffing. I would like to not AOG, but instead fab up a quality replacement from stock.

I've seen Bob's nail & solder / gas-tight technique. Nice.
Only recently have I herd Bob state "there is no such thing as a certified part". With that in mind I'm starting to think that there is no "certified" tool / precedence for this repair outside of an OEM or 145. So, If I do this am I making a "minor repair" or am I making an "unapproved part" w/o a PMA? Logic tells me the former. I just want to use the closest thing to "acceptable methods". BTW, the only reference I can find in AC43.13-1B CHG 1 is 11-98i "use appropriate crimping tools".

All this aside, what do you listers, and Bob, think of the
BANTAM ROTA-CRIMP a.k.a AMP Model 601075-1 and Solistrand branded crimps combo + double heat shrink? How about Avery Tools Item #461?
Bill Jones
First Post

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
stearman456

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Which crimper for Big AWG's on both HB *and* Certified? Reply with quote

Here be what you seek:

http://www.theterminaltool.com/Home_Page.html

If there's anything better I'd like to see it.

Dan

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rv8iator(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Which crimper for Big AWG's on both HB *and* Certified? Reply with quote

Harbor Freight has a hydraulic crimper that I am using and have been extremely pleased with.  It makes picture perfect crimps.  The dies are marked incorrectly as to wire gauge and the largest die set will crimp a 2 AWG terminal even though it's stamped 00.  See at:
 http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html
Chris Stone
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Builder_Bill <jonesw(at)mindspring.com (jonesw(at)mindspring.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Builder_Bill" <jonesw(at)mindspring.com (jonesw(at)mindspring.com)>

I want to make a decision on sourcing a crimper & terminal set that I can use for Big AWG's on both E-AB and certified alike (one tool to rule them all).

This question has been eating me for a while. The sound judgement falls to me on HB/OBAM, but I've asked around a bit and nobody I've asked can tell me what crimper or process is kosher to repair on certified. I didn't ask an OEM or a FSDO and wasn't going to.

The next time I see a B-lead terminal that looks like it's about to fatigue off and ground big current or a batt cable chaffing. I would like to not AOG, but instead fab up a quality replacement from stock.

I've seen Bob's nail & solder / gas-tight technique. Nice.
Only recently have I herd Bob state "there is no such thing as a certified part". With that in mind I'm starting to think that there is no "certified" tool / precedence for this repair outside of an OEM or 145. So, If I do this am I making a "minor repair" or am I making an "unapproved part" w/o a PMA? Logic tells me the former. I just want to use the closest thing to "acceptable methods". BTW, the only reference I can find in AC43.13-1B CHG 1 is 11-98i "use appropriate crimping tools".

All this aside, what do you listers, and Bob, think of the
BANTAM ROTA-CRIMP a.k.a AMP Model 601075-1 and Solistrand branded crimps combo + double heat shrink? How about Avery Tools Item #461?

Bill Jones
First Post

[b]

Builder_Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Which crimper for Big AWG's on both HB *and* Certified? Reply with quote

Yeah, I've seen that TT-500 (or maybe the previous version of it) at SteinAir maybe.

As for HF, leave it the them to produce a hydraulic crimper south of $1000, way south Shocked . LOL.

Am I wrong to expect that an airworthy crimp tool should have a strict association with a line of terminals Rolling Eyes . As with Amp/Tyco Crimpers & AMP PIDG terminals.

Neither of these two tools (TT-500 & HF) advertise a matched brand of terminals, or do they?
Or an I'm brain washed by the Mil Specs and Standards Groups? Confused

Between the two, I lean toward the TT-500, but with a local HF just 1 mile from me, now I have to go see what $60 in HF $ looks/feels like.
Maybe others can weigh in.

Bill Jones

JohnCiolino(at)carolina.r

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Which crimper for Big AWG's on both HB *and* Certified? Reply with quote

I would agree but it seems to "Out of stock" permanently.

John Ciolino
RV-8

--

Builder_Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which crimper for Big AWG's on both HB *and* Certified? Reply with quote

Wow, that TT5000 is looking better all the time. The designer really put his pride in this puppy. That web site must be redone since I last saw it. The pics look very convincing.

Bill Jones

Builder_Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Which crimper for Big AWG's on both HB *and* Certified? Reply with quote

Dam it, now I remember this dude.

Stein had this back ordered last year and said this guy is having a hard time keeping with US foundries on small runs and is determined to not export the work or let the quality suffer. Assuming that's the story I can't say I don't sympathize.

I would like to find out if they will be available again.

Bill Jones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: