Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Washing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t41pilot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Washing Reply with quote

It's finally warm enough in Michigan to think about flying. Hooked everything back up that was disconnected for winterization and prepared to do battle with the startup. Much to my surprise it started right up. Took just a couple of minutes to blow the fogging oil out of it. The Weather is not right for flying yet but I'd like to get the dirt off with a wash. I just finished it last fall so it hasn't been washed at all yet so I'm looking for advice on proper techniques and products to use since it is a fabric covered Aircraft. I read somewhere that it was not ok to use the standard bucket of soap and rinse with the hose since it would allow water to get into places where corrosion could get started. Also I haven't put in drain holes in all the rib bays yet per plan. It seems the plane would be littered with holes especially the ailerons. Are that many holes really necessary? I have some Mr Clean car wash solution that you are supposed to put in a sprayer and just spray it on and it just sheets right off and dries clear with no residue just like their window wash stuff. I thought about maybe just using a capful in a bucket to make a weak solution and washing with a soft sponge or cloth and rinsing lightly with the hose. But that flies in the face of one post I read somewhere. Any thoughts on this?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

rowedenny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Washing Reply with quote

Anything from dish soap to car wash soap in a bucket of water and sponge works for me, keep the water flowing and go easy on the lexan. When I'm done and patted dry, I hit the lexan with Plexus and a microfiber towel.

Skid Rowe
On Apr 30, 2013, at 1:03 PM, "t41pilot" <t41pilot(at)frontier.com> wrote:

Quote:

It's finally warm enough in Michigan to think about flying. Hooked everything back up that was disconnected for winterization and prepared to do battle with the startup. Much to my surprise it started right up. Took just a couple of minutes to blow the fogging oil out of it. The Weather is not right for flying yet but I'd like to get the dirt off with a wash. I just finished it last fall so it hasn't been washed at all yet so I'm looking for advice on proper techniques and products to use since it is a fabric covered Aircraft. I read somewhere that it was not ok to use the standard bucket of soap and rinse with the hose since it would allow water to get into places where corrosion could get started. Also I haven't put in drain holes in all the rib bays yet per plan. It seems the plane would be littered with holes especially the ailerons. Are that many holes really necessary? I have some Mr Clean car wash solution that you are supposed to put in a sprayer and just spray i!
t on and it just sheets right off and dries clear with no residue just like their window wash stuff. I thought about maybe just using a capful in a bucket to make a weak solution and washing with a soft sponge or cloth and rinsing lightly with the hose. But that flies in the face of one post I read somewhere. Any thoughts on this?

--------
Gregg Kaat
2011 Firefly

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=399679#399679

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

yellowbird1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Washing Reply with quote

I use one of these on my car and don't have to dry it off nor worry about any water spots even with the very hard water we have here in New Mexico as the final rise water is filtered. The soap is designed for use with this system.
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-AutoDry-System-Starter/dp/B0006M56CE

Sent from my iPad

Brad
On Apr 30, 2013, at 12:17, Dennis Rowe <rowedenny(at)windstream.net (rowedenny(at)windstream.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: Dennis Rowe <rowedenny(at)windstream.net (rowedenny(at)windstream.net)>

Anything from dish soap to car wash soap in a bucket of water and sponge works for me, keep the water flowing and go easy on the lexan. When I'm done and patted dry, I hit the lexan with Plexus and a microfiber towel.

Skid Rowe
On Apr 30, 2013, at 1:03 PM, "t41pilot" <t41pilot(at)frontier.com (t41pilot(at)frontier.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "t41pilot" <t41pilot(at)frontier.com (t41pilot(at)frontier.com)>

It's finally warm enough in Michigan to think about flying. Hooked everything back up that was disconnected for winterization and prepared to do battle with the startup. Much to my surprise it started right up. Took just a couple of minutes to blow the fogging oil out of it. The Weather is not right for flying yet but I'd like to get the dirt off with a wash. I just finished it last fall so it hasn't been washed at all yet so I'm looking for advice on proper techniques and products to use since it is a fabric covered Aircraft. I read somewhere that it was not ok to use the standard bucket of soap and rinse with the hose since it would allow water to get into places where corrosion could get started. Also I haven't put in drain holes in all the rib bays yet per plan. It seems the plane would be littered with holes especially the ailerons. Are that many holes really necessary? I have some Mr Clean car wash solution that you are supposed to put in a sprayer and just spray!
i!
Quote:
t on and it just sheets right off and dries clear with no residue just like their window wash stuff. I thought about maybe just using a capful in a bucket to make a weak solution and washing with a soft sponge or cloth and rinsing lightly with the hose. But that flies in the face of one post I read somewhere. Any thoughts on this?

--------
Gregg Kaat
2011 Firefly

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=399679#399679

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?K==============================================================================bsp; - List Contribution Web Site -p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
======================================================

[b]

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Washing Reply with quote

At 10:03 AM 4/30/2013 -0700, you wrote:
Quote:

..................>

I thought about maybe just using a capful in a bucket to make a weak
solution and washing with a soft sponge or cloth and rinsing lightly with
the hose. But that flies in the face of one post I read somewhere. Any
thoughts on this?
Quote:

--------

Gregg,

I was washing with a water bucket, soap and a rag and drying with lots of old
cloth bath towels. No fun. Then a I asked a hangar mate how he kept his
plane looking so good. He used a spray bottle, water and paper towels. I
mist the desired area and then wipe it down with a paper towel. The water
and the dust stay in the towel. Then I spray the same area again and wipe
it the second time with a clean towel to remove the last bit of dust and
this towel gets used for the next new dusty area to be sprayed.

Using this technique I can wash the upper horizontal surfaces and nose cone
with less that a quart of water and two dozen square paper towels.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Washing Reply with quote

I was washing with a water bucket, soap and a rag and drying with lots of
old cloth bath towels. No fun. Then a I asked a hangar mate how he kept his
plane looking so good. He used a spray bottle, water and paper towels

Jack B. Hart

Folks:

A quart of water and a dozen paper towels? Now that is frugal.

john h
mkIII - 3218.8 hours
912ULS - 650.3 hours

Titus, Alabama
jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Washing Reply with quote

John,

I do not want to leave a false impression.

Quote:

Quote:

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Washing Reply with quote

I do not want to leave a false impression.

Quote:

Quote:

Jack B. Hart FF004

I'm sure it can be done.

Back in the early 1960's, those German nationals that could afford a little
VW, Fiat 500, BMW 500, etc., could wash them with a small bucket of water.
Don't remember seeing folks lucky enough to have a water hose.

I used to carry a quart squirt bottle of Windex and a couple bath towels to
clean the bugs off my airplanes when I got to flyins. Now I looks for small
rain showers to knock off the bugs. Wink

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
t41pilot

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Washing Reply with quote

I have a lot of Black in my paint scheme and I was concerned about any products that might leave a residue and show up against the Black. Also It is my understanding that Polytone paint is not that sturdy and any strong soaps might dull it. I ended up washing with a mild solution of the Mr Clean stuff I had and then used a chamois after a rinse. A lot of elbow grease as Jack had suggested but it turned out good. A spray bottle to take care of bugs. Hopefully I'll only have to do that a couple times a year and a spray bottle in between. I didn't see any comments about drain holes in the rib bays. Do all you guys out there have those in place on your aircraft?

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Washing Reply with quote

I didn't see any comments about drain holes in the rib bays. Do all you
guys out there have those in place on your aircraft?

--------
Gregg Kaat

Gregg K/Kolbers:

I use Blue Corral or Turtle Wax Car Wash with lots of water and a 5 gal
bucket. A long handle RV brush and a hand wash mitt get the job done.
Commercial car wash helps prevent streaking.

I have drain holes in everything, at their low point, when the MKIII is
sitting in its normal 3 point position .

My airplane is over 21 years old. No problems with corrosion.

I also use tube seal in 4130 tubing when I build my airplanes.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: