Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian CH-701 Inspection for Amateur Built Category

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Canadian CH-701 Inspection for Amateur Built Category Reply with quote

HI All,

I have been building the flying surfaces for my 701; The tail surfaces are complete, riveted on one side the other side just clecos. I have just finished clecoing the skins to the right wing and my jugs of A4 Clecos are looking a bit skinny. My plan has been to have all the flying surfaces riveted on one side an clecoed on the other, call the inspector and if all goes well, close up the wings and tail and move on to the fuselage. I will do the slats last.

I would appreciate some advice (particularly from Canucks with experience with the MDRA) on how far I can and should go with the flying surfaces before having them inspected. The fewer return trips the MDRA has to make the less cost and rework for me. One area I was curious whether I could fully rivet or not was the wing nose skins. It seems that except for the slat supports you can see most of the critical part of the nose skin at the back of the spar.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Perry Delano
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
dougsnash

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Canadian CH-701 Inspection for Amateur Built Category Reply with quote

Perry, your best bet if you have questions is to ask your inspector exactly what he wants to see. The easier you make your inspector's life, the easier yours will be.

That being said, my experience with my local inspector is that you can finish rivet the bottom skins in place. For the nose skins you can wrap them around the nose ribs and rivet them except for the last couple of rivets and the upper spar line. Leave enough room for your inspector to look inside the nose of the wing. Inspectors do not use inspection mirrors to look inside structure so you have to leave the things open.

One other thing I did was to tack rivet my control surfaces closed for storage(half a dozen rivets on the inspectable side). This allows you to easily re-open the control surface but means you don't have to store anything with clecos sticking out of it. Just prior to the inspection, insert a few clecos and drill out the tack rivets, then your inspector can see inside.

I hope you have a good MD-RA inspector to work with. I have heard of some difficult people becoming inspectors in other parts of Canada. Locally, the worst part of the inspection process is the inspector's lame jokes. He does a thorough job of inspecting the aircraft but is fair and willing to work with the builder to deal with any deficiencies. I have been involved with two Zenith product pre-closure inspections. Both were completed with only one pre-closure inspection each so you shouldn't need to have your inspector make multiple trips. The MD-RA process is expensive but is worthwhile having a "real" airplane as opposed to a Basic Ultralight.

Hope this helps.

Doug M

CH-701 from Scratch
NW Ontario, Canada

To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:27:48 AM
Subject: Canadian CH-701 Inspection for Amateur Built Category

HI All,

I have been building the flying surfaces for my 701; The tail surfaces are complete, riveted on one side the other side just clecos. I have just finished clecoing the skins to the right wing and my jugs of A4 Clecos are looking a bit skinny. My plan has been to have all the flying surfaces riveted on one side an clecoed on the other, call the inspector and if all goes well, close up the wings and tail and move on to the fuselage. I will do the slats last.

I would appreciate some advice (particularly from Canucks with experience with the MDRA) on how far I can and should go with the flying surfaces before having them inspected. The fewer return trips the MDRA has to make the less cost and rework for me. One area I was curious whether I could fully rivet or not was the wing nose skins. It seems that except for the slat supports you can see most of the critical part of the nose skin at the back of the spar.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Perry Delano

[quote]http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List-========================p://www.matronics.com/contribution" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http========================

[b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: