Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yak-52 fuel starvation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmy(at)pfmengineering.c

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Yak-52 fuel starvation Reply with quote

My 1985 Yak-52’s engine quite about 3 miles from the airport last Saturday. After some rapid pumping on the hand primer, the engine fired then quite again, it repeated this several times before running without stopping although somewhat on the rough side. After landing, runup for over 1 minute was normal. Right tank was empty and the left tank had about 10 gallons. I have not torn into the system yet, but have been told to check the screens for debris, and the flexible fuel lines for cavitation. I consulted Dennis Savarese and he said that the right tank running out of fuel would not stop fuel flow to the engine. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject and what to check while I am going through the system?

Jim Burke

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Yak-52 fuel starvation Reply with quote

The right tank out of fuel could well cause the problem. If you were banking or the ball was not centered for any reason, the non return flapper valves on the header tank could choose the empty tank and suck air instead of fuel.
George Coy

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jimmy(at)pfmengineering.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:53 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Yak-52 fuel starvation

My 1985 Yak-52’s engine quite about 3 miles from the airport last Saturday. After some rapid pumping on the hand primer, the engine fired then quite again, it repeated this several times before running without stopping although somewhat on the rough side. After landing, runup for over 1 minute was normal. Right tank was empty and the left tank had about 10 gallons. I have not torn into the system yet, but have been told to check the screens for debris, and the flexible fuel lines for cavitation. I consulted Dennis Savarese and he said that the right tank running out of fuel would not stop fuel flow to the engine. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject and what to check while I am going through the system?

Jim Burke

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

hess737(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Yak-52 fuel starvation Reply with quote

Thank goodness you made it to the runway. There are easier ways to build up your right arm muscles... Smile~

Richard Hess
President
International Jets, Inc.
Cell 404-964-4885

--

michael(at)wikstrom.cc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Yak-52 fuel starvation Reply with quote

Jim
Same happened to me with my 18T with an empty left tank and 60L in the right. It was after a rapid descent from 8000 to 1500 feet, 22 miles off the coast of France…
and engine stopped with just a wind milling prop.
Did the same, steep left 360 with lots of pumping and it started again, 500’ above the water and it got me the 22 miles I had left to Cannes. Checked fuel filters but they were clean.
I also suspect it sucked air from the empty tank and stopped because of that.

I now try to fly with fuel in both tanks.

Michael Wikstrom
La Colle sur Loup (06)
France

Tel     : +33 607 44 40 11
email: michael(at)wikstrom.cc

Yak 18T - HA-YAI
Yak 3U  - D-FAFL

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jimmy(at)pfmengineering.com
Sent: 18 June 2013 19:53

Jim Burke

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Yak-52 fuel starvation Reply with quote

George,
If I am not confused I believe Mr. Burke has been modified to fuel bladders. I'm totally clueless on this with the bladders in place of the metal tanks.
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:16 PM, "George Coy" <george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
The right tank out of fuel could well cause the problem. If you were banking or the ball was not centered for any reason, the non return flapper valves on the header tank could choose the empty tank and suck air instead of fuel.
George Coy

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of jimmy(at)pfmengineering.com (jimmy(at)pfmengineering.com)
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Jim Burke

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[b]

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Yak-52 fuel starvation Reply with quote

Jim,
Welcome back to military aircraft. Always a surprise waiting to shake you from your placid sortie into moments of shear terror!
Ah, the world of an adrenalin junkie!
I do love it!
Ck 6
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:48 PM, Richard Hess <hess737(at)aol.com (hess737(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote]Thank goodness you made it to the runway. There are easier ways to build up your right arm muscles... Smile~

Richard Hess
President
International Jets, Inc.
Cell 404-964-4885

--

Yakman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Yak-52 fuel starvation Reply with quote

I had the exact same situation in my 18T, again after a rapid decent from 7000 to 1500ft off coast of NZ. Engine spluttered but did not entirely stop. After landing, left tank bone dry, right tank 70 L. Again I always fly with full tanks. Unable to find any issues.

Andrew Parkandrew.park(at)xtra.co.nz
Box 107 Greenhithe
Auckland
New Zealand

-------- Original message --------
Date: 19/06/2013 11:01 AM (GMT+12:00)
Subject: RE: Yak-List: Yak-52 fuel starvation

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[quote][b]

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Yak-52 fuel starvation Reply with quote

Jim,
I gave you some things to check regarding the fuel system. ie: fuel screens etc. Since you have never checked them before and as I told you, the foam in the bladders may have some foam dust from the manufacturing process which easily can block or reduce the flow through the fine fuel screen. If you haven't checked it, you may want to do that.

I also explained to you about the fuel junction below the front seat. Both tanks feed to this common point. The flapper valves on each side of this junction do not block fuel from flowing from the tank. They are designed to prevent fuel transferring between the tanks, particularly during slips or yawing of the airplane.

Did you check the fuel screens?
Dennis

To: "yak-list(at)matronics.com" <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: Yak-52 fuel starvation

Jim,
Welcome back to military aircraft. Always a surprise waiting to shake you from your placid sortie into moments of shear terror!
Ah, the world of an adrenalin junkie!
I do love it!
Ck 6
Doc

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:48 PM, Richard Hess <hess737(at)aol.com (hess737(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote]Thank goodness you made it to the runway. There are easier ways to build up your right arm muscles... Smile~

Richard Hess
President
International Jets, Inc.
Cell 404-964-4885

--

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Yak-52 fuel starvation Reply with quote

Excellent Point George.
Dennis

Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:16 PM
Subject: RE: Yak-52 fuel starvation

George Coy

Jim Burke

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: