Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

doors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larkrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

Hi all. I can’t seem to find in the archives if this question has been
asked before.

I have my door halves roughed out and am at the stage where they are to be
bonded together before the plans direct you to install the hinges. Has
anyone not bonded the door halves and proceeded with the hinge install? I
have just purchased the Plane Around centre latch and would like to leave
the door halves separate for the time being. My concern is whether the #40
clecoes around the window opening are sufficient to keep the door from
flexing as I position it in the opening to drill the hinge attachment holes

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
philperry9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

I think you will want both halves together for the hinge fitting. The doors are going to morph around enough that the hinges would likely bind later.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 23, 2013, at 4:40 PM, Rick Lark <larkrv10(at)gmail.com (larkrv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi all. I can’t seem to find in the archives if this question has been asked before.

I have my door halves roughed out and am at the stage where they are to be bonded together before the plans direct you to install the hinges. Has anyone not bonded the door halves and proceeded with the hinge install? I have just purchased the Plane Around centre latch and would like to leave the door halves separate for the time being. My concern is whether the #40 clecoes around the window opening are sufficient to keep the door from flexing as I position it in the opening to drill the hinge attachment holes.

Any / all opinions are welcomed. Thx.

Rick
Southampton, Ont
Quote:

===================================
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

Rick,
Personally I would wait until the halves are together before drilling the hinges. They change a lot during the process and the other skin will affect them.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 23, 2013, at 15:40, Rick Lark <larkrv10(at)gmail.com (larkrv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi all. I can’t seem to find in the archives if this question has been asked before.

I have my door halves roughed out and am at the stage where they are to be bonded together before the plans direct you to install the hinges. Has anyone not bonded the door halves and proceeded with the hinge install? I have just purchased the Plane Around centre latch and would like to leave the door halves separate for the time being. My concern is whether the #40 clecoes around the window opening are sufficient to keep the door from flexing as I position it in the opening to drill the hinge attachment holes.

Rick
Southampton, Ont
Quote:

cs.com

[b]

SuperSTOL 60 hours
jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

I agree with this as well. Wait until door halves are bonded to install hinges.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 23, 2013, at 5:57 PM, Seano <sean(at)braunandco.com (sean(at)braunandco.com)> wrote:
[quote]Rick,
Personally I would wait until the halves are together before drilling the hinges. They change a lot during the process and the other skin will affect them.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 23, 2013, at 15:40, Rick Lark <larkrv10(at)gmail.com (larkrv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Rick
Southampton, Ont
Quote:

cs.com

cs.com

[b]

kearney

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

Hi Rick
The doors are a major pain. The fit WILL change SS you go through the fitting process. I installed the billet handles after the fact. It was not a big deal. The doors and the fitting is a big job.
Cheers
Les

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-06-23, at 3:40 PM, Rick Lark <larkrv10(at)gmail.com (larkrv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]

Rick
Southampton, Ont
Quote:

cs.com

[b]

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

The doors are flimsy even when the halves are bonded.  I wish I had filled the voids with blue foam before I bonded the halves together.  As it is I plan on injecting expanding foam through holes in the doors and then cleaning up the mess.  Just another departure that takes up so much time.
Linn

On 6/23/2013 5:40 PM, Rick Lark wrote:

[quote]
Hi all.  I can’t seem to find in the archives if this question has been asked before.

I  have my door halves roughed out and am at the stage where they are to be bonded together before the plans direct you to install the hinges.  Has anyone not bonded the door halves and proceeded with the hinge install?  I have just purchased the Plane Around centre latch and would like to leave the door halves separate for the time being.  My concern is whether the #40 clecoes around the window opening are sufficient to keep the door from flexing as I position it in the opening to drill the hinge attachment holes.

Any / all opinions are welcomed.  Thx.

Rick
Southampton, Ont
Quote:

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
06/23/13 [b]

davidsoutpost(at)comcast.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

That is what I did and it helps to stiffen them up. I drilled several strategically located 1/4" holes so that I could fit the tube of the foam can in and filled up the cavities. Make sure you use the "minimal expansion" type foam and let the access foam out the injection holes, otherwise it can deform the door skins. When cured just clean out and fill in the holes with some micro. I had to pick some of the foam out where the pin rods go through.

David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell, MI
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:19:06 PM
Subject: Re: doors

The doors are flimsy even when the halves are bonded. I wish I had filled the voids with blue foam before I bonded the halves together. As it is I plan on injecting expanding foam through holes in the doors and then cleaning up the mess. Just another departure that takes up so much time.
Linn

[quote]

Rick
Southampton, Ont
Quote:

06/23/13

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

So no issue with added weight or the potential of retaining moisture or water in the filled doors?

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: RV10-List: doors

That is what I did and it helps to stiffen them up.  I drilled several strategically located 1/4" holes so that I could fit the tube of the foam can in and filled up the cavities.  Make sure you use the "minimal expansion" type foam and let the access foam out the injection holes,  otherwise it can deform the door skins.  When cured just clean out and fill in the holes with some micro.  I had to pick some of the foam out where the pin rods go through.
David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell,  MI

From: "Linn Walters" <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)>
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
The doors are flimsy even when the halves are bonded.  I wish I had filled the voids with blue foam before I bonded the halves together.  As it is I plan on injecting expanding foam through holes in the doors and then cleaning up the mess.  Just another departure that takes up so much time.
Linn

Quote:

Hi all.  I can’t seem to find in the archives if this question has been asked before.

I  have my door halves roughed out and am at the stage where they are to be bonded together before the plans direct you to install the hinges.  Has anyone not bonded the door halves and proceeded with the hinge install?  I have just purchased the Plane Around centre latch and would like to leave the door halves separate for the time being.  My concern is whether the #40 clecoes around the window opening are sufficient to keep the door from flexing as I position it in the opening to drill the hinge attachment holes.

Rick
Southampton, Ont
Quote:

06/23/13

Quote:
  get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listtp://forums.matronics.com_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution   
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Version: 2013.0.2904 / Virus Database: 3199/6428 - Release Date: 06/20/13

davidsoutpost(at)comcast.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

Foam adds very little weight to the door, stiffens the door considerably and there should not be any exterior openings for water to enter if you drill your filling holes on the interior side of the doors and plug them when you are done. All of the Rutan based plans built aircraft such as the Long-EZ and Cozy are made of foam sandwiched by fiberglass. Here's an old demo video from Burt himself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eUt0YnNF3o

David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell, MI
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 11:03:08 PM
Subject: RE: doors

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
So no issue with added weight or the potential of retaining moisture or water in the filled doors?

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net

That is what I did and it helps to stiffen them up. I drilled several strategically located 1/4" holes so that I could fit the tube of the foam can in and filled up the cavities. Make sure you use the "minimal expansion" type foam and let the access foam out the injection holes, otherwise it can deform the door skins. When cured just clean out and fill in the holes with some micro. I had to pick some of the foam out where the pin rods go through.
David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell, MI

The doors are flimsy even when the halves are bonded. I wish I had filled the voids with blue foam before I bonded the halves together. As it is I plan on injecting expanding foam through holes in the doors and then cleaning up the mess. Just another departure that takes up so much time.
Linn

Quote:

Rick
Southampton, Ont
Quote:

06/23/13

Quote:
get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listtp://forums.matronics.com_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
0 ==============[/b][/quote] V10-List Email Forum -[/b][/quote] e> pre> tor?RV10-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List[/b][/quote] ==============[/b][/quote] bsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -[/b][/quote] e> rget="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com[/b][/quote] ==============[/b][/quote] bsp; - List Contribution Web Site -[/b][/quote] bsp;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.[/b][/quote] bution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution[/b][/quote] ==============[/b] [/quote]1

p>
���~��,���%��M4���x����w�r����
[quote][b]

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

Awesome video.
Robin
Do Not Archive

Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:46 PM

Foam adds very little weight to the door, stiffens the door considerably and there should not be any exterior openings for water to enter if you drill your filling holes on the interior side of the doors and plug them when you are done.   All of the Rutan based plans built aircraft such as the Long-EZ and Cozy are made of foam sandwiched by fiberglass.   Here's an old demo video from Burt himself.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eUt0YnNF3o
David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell,  MI

From: "Robin Marks" <robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com (robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com)>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 11:03:08 PM
Subject: RE: RV10-List: doors

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net (davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net)

That is what I did and it helps to stiffen them up.  I drilled several strategically located 1/4" holes so that I could fit the tube of the foam can in and filled up the cavities.  Make sure you use the "minimal expansion" type foam and let the access foam out the injection holes,  otherwise it can deform the door skins.  When cured just clean out and fill in the holes with some micro.  I had to pick some of the foam out where the pin rods go through.
David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell,  MI

Linn

Quote:

Rick
Southampton, Ont
Quote:

06/23/13

Quote:
==============
V10-List Email Forum -
e> pre> tor?RV10-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
==============
bsp;    - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
e> rget="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
==============
bsp;  - List Contribution Web Site -
bsp;                   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
bution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
==============
Quote:

p>
���~��,���%��M4���x����w�r����
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Version: 2013.0.2904 / Virus Database: 3199/6428 - Release Date: 06/20/13

bill.peyton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: doors Reply with quote

Rick,
It would not be wise to try to drill the hinges until after the doors are bonded. I installed foam inside the doors in selected areas for insulating purposes. I also was able to install the center door latch prior to bonding the second door. It actually was a lot easier. The only thing you need to be aware of with the center door latch is to make sure it is installed no lower than what is called out in the instructions. A little higher, like 1/16", is better. The reason for this is the latching cam will rub on the Mcmaster-Carr trim as the door closes, and once it is bonded in place there is no way to change it.

Gordon Anderson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

For stiffening the doors I would also recommend filling the epoxy with flox and not cab-o-sil (p45-05, step 5) as suggested in the plans. I tried both. With micro it was easy and oh so amusing to pull the door halves apart. The flox is rock solid and noticeably stiffer.

After bonding you can use a high power light (e.g. 150W flood lamp) to backlight the joint and spot if you left any voids. It helps to leave one void deliberately to calibrate your inspection process Wink

Cheers,
Gordon
41015 Switzerland

On Jun 24, 2013, at 3:22 AM, Rick Lark wrote:
[quote]Hey thx to all that replied. I expected that bonding the doors first would be the general consensus. I guess the Plane Around latch is easy enough to install after the fact. I like the idea of using low expansion foam in any voids. I will take a good look before I do the bonding and figure out where to drill some holes.

Regards, Rick

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM, <davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net (davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:

David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell, MI

Linn

Quote:

Rick
Southampton, Ont

Quote:

06/23/13

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Jackm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: doors Reply with quote

Rick,

I agree with all the above...one thing I would add is when you go to cleco your door skins to the fuse, One,make sure your cabin top is bolted to fuse in place as you would on final install and Two DO NOT use the two fore and aft dimple index to fix the doors to the fuse during epoxy fit. I found the indicator dimples to be aprox 3/16 to high on the door on ours. You will find the doors will be too low when you go trim to the cabin top opening. I did this on left door and had to roll the complete door up to get adequate clearance between the lower jam and door. You don't want this as you formed the door to fit the cabin top curve. Right side we built spacers for the lower and sides to fit between the jam and door inner ledge. Remember to add the door skins thickness dim to the spacer as the door needs to drop down to be flush with the cabin top when you trim door to fit the opening. This will also ensure that Seans latch will clear the lower jam when you install them. Hope this makes sense....I almost threw away the left door after I realized what I did.

jrlark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: doors Reply with quote

Thx Jack
I also had index holes that didn't match up worth a darn, so I used a spacer to raise the doors and then drilled the doors to the fuse all this while the top was bolted to the fuse. I'm hoping they are high enough to have Sean's latch clears the McMaster seal. Thx, Rick

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-06-25, at 1:53 AM, "Jackm" <jackm(at)vinetechequipment.com> wrote:

Quote:

Rick,

I agree with all the above...one thing I would add is when you go to cleco your door skins to the fuse, One,make sure your cabin top is bolted to fuse in place as you would on final install and Two DO NOT use the two fore and aft dimple index to fix the doors to the fuse during epoxy fit. I found the indicator dimples to be aprox 3/16 to high on the door on ours. You will find the doors will be too low when you go trim to the cabin top opening. I did this on left door and had to roll the complete door up to get adequate clearance between the lower jam and door. You don't want this as you formed the door to fit the cabin top curve. Right side we built spacers for the lower and sides to fit between the jam and door inner ledge. Remember to add the door skins thickness dim to the spacer as the door needs to drop down to be flush with the cabin top when you trim door to fit the opening. This will also ensure that Seans latch will clear the lower jam when you install them. Hope !
this makes sense....I almost threw away the left door after I realized what I did.

--------
Jackm

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=403371#403371

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: