Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

carb synch hose sizes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: carb synch hose sizes Reply with quote

I'm going to synch my carbs. Does anyone know what size hoses are used to hook into the manifold pressure port? I have a digital manometer (dual) that I'm planning on using. I figure I can get hoses for testing at an auto supply store. The manometer connects to 1/4 inch npt btw. I figure I'll need to get some sort of reducer as well. thanks. John

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: carb synch hose sizes Reply with quote

Hi John,

I just use vacuum hoses from the auto parts store. Then adapt that to the size you need with a fitting from the hardware store.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
JohnE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: carb synch hose sizes Reply with quote

Roger Lee wrote:
Hi John,

I just use vacuum hoses from the auto parts store. Then adapt that to the size you need with a fitting from the hardware store.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I am planning on doing. You don't by chance know what size hose to buy? (saves me a trip to the airport, the auto parts store is close to my house)

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: carb synch hose sizes Reply with quote

They are the small ones. I think around 1/4" OD and maybe 1/8" or less ID. The hole size should be small and the smaller the better. We don't care about volume just the vacuum. The larger hole sizes will just give you more needle fluctuation to dampen out. I would put a an adjustable needle valve inline on both vacuum lines so you can dampen any gauge needle fluctuation. I'm still old school in on my connection at the cross over. I just pull off the left side of the cross over tube rubber end. Then I know the carbs are separated and not leaking verses if I just pinch off the rubber between carbs. I then just use a barbed fitting and up-size to the hose end I need on the 90 degree fitting (3/8" poly hose) off the top of the manifold and a smooth shank fitting that goes into the rubber end on the cross over tube. (smooth shank= I took a barbed 3/8" barbed fitting and sanded off the barbs)
You can certainly use the manifold port screws that are on top of the manifolds to make the connection, but then you still have to separate the carbs by pinching off the cross over tube rubber hose.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: carb synch hose sizes Reply with quote

Here's an older picture, but it gets the point across and this works very well. I would use regular vacuum lines and not the clear plastic. The plastic does work.

carb_sync_150.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.66 KB
 Viewed:  6363 Time(s)

carb_sync_150.jpg

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
JohnE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: carb synch hose sizes Reply with quote

Roger Lee wrote:
Here's an older picture, but it gets the point across and this works very well. I would use regular vacuum lines and not the clear plastic. The plastic does work.

Thanks for the picture. Makes sense to me now. How close are you able to get the difference between the carbs? Also, do you make the adjustments to a running engine or do you shut off between adjustments?

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: carb synch hose sizes Reply with quote

I can get the needles dead on for idle and the high rpm settings. Once you do it a few times it doesn't take long. If you do it each annual or 100 hrs. it's a piece of cake. I always do a running engine. I wear goggles and ear muffs and I give that prop a wide berth. The wheels are always chocked and someone is in the cockpit.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: