Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

o-540
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHearnsberger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

I have an A&P friend whom I trust that has offered to help me rebuild an o-540. He said he has two o-540's in his shop and that we could go with the 235hp or we could change the pistons in one to make it a 250hp. He mentioned that with the 235hp you would have the ability to use auto gas in case you got in a bind somewhere. I've been planning on spending around $50,000 for a new io-540. If I go this route with my friend, it could save me probably 35-40%.

How will using an 0-540 235hp or 250hp affect my fuel efficiency over a 260hp io-540?

What kind of extra work will be required on the firewall, cowling, etc. for using a carbureted engine instead of a non-carbureted engine?

I'm open to suggestions.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Rhonda(at)bpaengines.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

I believe there's more involved than a simple piston swap to convert it
for 250 or 260 hp use, depending on the engine model. (I assume they are
-A1A5?) Still might not be a bad way to go, but make sure you not just
putting a heavy 8.5:1 piston in it.

Rhonda Barrett-Bewley
Barrett Precision Engines
2870-B N. Sheridan Rd.
Tulsa, OK 74115
(918) 835-1089 phone
(918) 835-1754 fax
www.barrettprecisionengines.com
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

speckter(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

Save 35-40%? Yes you will save but you are not comparing=. In the one case you have a new engine with factory warranty and in the other you have something all together different. One is fuel injected the other is carbureted. Not that going the mod route is bad, it is just that the savings you anticipated is because you changed the end result,  not because of actual savings on equal engines.

Extending that out to the ridiculous you could save 60 or 90%, but again you wouldn't be comparing = engines

Gary Specketer

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, July 8, 2013 2:23:18 PM
Subject: o-540

--> RV10-List message posted by: "JHearnsberger" <jakehearnsberger(at)gmail.com>

I have an A&P friend whom I trust that has offered to help me rebuild an o-540.  He said he has two o-540's in his shop and that we could go with  the 235hp or we could change the pistons in one to make it a 250hp. He mentioned that with the 235hp you would have the ability to use auto gas in case you got in a bind somewhere. I've been planning on spending around $50,000 for a new io-540. If I go this route with my friend, it could save me probably 35-40%.

How will using an 0-540 235hp or 250hp affect my fuel efficiency over a 260hp io-540?

What kind of extra work will be required on the firewall, cowling, etc. for using a carbureted engine instead of a non-carbureted engine?

I'm open to suggestions.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=404218#404218

_-========================sp; -Matt Dralle, Li-===================================

[quote][b]

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

I agree mostly with what others have said. The 235HP engine is 7:1 (or 7.2:1, maybe) compression pistons running at 2575 RPM max. The 250HP is 8.5:1 pistons running at 2575 RPM max. The 260HP is 8.5:1 running 2700 RPM max. Some engines have cast connecting rods and others have forged connecting rods (according to Allen Barrett). The counterweights are also different between engines. If you put 8.5:1 pistons in that engine, and run it at 2575 RPM, it will make roughly 250HP. This is what we have in N256H and have 1,350 hours on it. We may be slightly outclimbed by someone with 260HP for 1-2,000 ft, but then it would equal out, because once you pull the RPM back under 2575, the rest is equal with 8.5:1 pistons.

The Carburetor vs Fuel Injection this is just a matter of personal preference. I would highly recommend Fuel Injection. That way you can lean much better and can tune your injectors for smoother running and overall better leaning yet. This shouldn't make any difference on HP.

What engine would you be getting? Is it a new engine or a used engine? If you were expecting $50,000 on a new IO-540, then I would expect at least a 50% savings going with a used engine, and that should include new cylinders, new accessories, and a new fuel injection system. If it is a newly overhauled engine that he is trying to sell you, then 35-40% is reasonable, but it should also include new cylinders, new accessories (or overhauled) and a new or overhauled fuel injection system.

There shouldn't be much difference on firewall, cowling or baffles with this engine, whether with a carburetor or fuel injection system. The baffles fit slightly different on different cases, but it's not a big deal. All parallel valve 540's should fit on the -10 just about the same. Some people have had to slightly modify their engine mount for different cases, but you could run into that with any engine, as I understand. I have never run into that, and have put lots of different sub-model-number 540's on -10's.

Again, there should be nothing wrong with running either of his engines on your plane, but the cost of the engine and what you are getting is the biggest issue. Feel free to call me at my cell number below once you have information on what he has and we can talk further.

The lower compression pistons will let you run low octane mogas, but if you are planning to have that just so you can get out of a jam, it really won't help. If you have to lug gas cans from a gas station to your plane because the airport doesn't have gas, then you are most likely going to be hauling gas with ethanol. If so, then why have pistons that can run 87 octane when you could just get the 91-93 octane gas from the same station with high compression pistons? That is the only benefit of the low compression pistons. I have an RV-9A that I put low compression pistons in because the no-ethanol mogas that we can get here in Florida is max 89 octane, and you need 91 or better for 8.5:1.

There is possibly another difference in the cylinders that won't allow higher compression pistons, but I don't know for sure. If you are paying that much for an engine (and airplane as a whole, for that matter), throw a new set of 8.5:1 jugs on and a fuel injection system. You will be glad you did.

By the way, most of this information I learned from Allen Barrett, and I hear he's a pretty smart guy when it comes to engines.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com
C: 352-427-0285
F: 815-377-3694

On Jul 8, 2013, at 3:23 PM, JHearnsberger <jakehearnsberger(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

I have an A&P friend whom I trust that has offered to help me rebuild an o-540. He said he has two o-540's in his shop and that we could go with the 235hp or we could change the pistons in one to make it a 250hp. He mentioned that with the 235hp you would have the ability to use auto gas in case you got in a bind somewhere. I've been planning on spending around $50,000 for a new io-540. If I go this route with my friend, it could save me probably 35-40%.

I'm open to suggestions.

Kellym

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

Some, not all 235 hp O-540s can run on 80/87 or most any grade mogas.
Most 250/260 hp (I)O-540s can run on 91+ octane mogas as they were
certified on 91/96 avgas, and have same octane requirements as the
O-360, 180hp engines with the same cylinders that have STC's for mogas,
like the Cherokee 180.
As Rhonda says, you would need to be certain that the parts used were
appropriate to the C4B% or A4D5 versions of the engine. There are a lot
of different cranks that depend on the application and balance wts for
the prop being considered. Then there are issues with ADs specific to
certain models, what size/style mounting ears the engine has. While they
can be changed, just another thing to get right from the start.If the
mechanic is experienced, has all the needed micrometers and other
measuring tools, to build a quality, new limits (not service limits)
overhaul, it can be a good deal, but there are a number of pitfalls for
someone that isn't familiar with the precise version engine you need.
The lower compression engine version of the 235 will not be as fuel
efficient, but is very durable.

On 7/8/2013 12:23 PM, JHearnsberger wrote:
Quote:

I'm open to suggestions.

JHearnsberger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: o-540 Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your responses. I've brought up several topics. I should have kept my question to fuel efficiency only. Comparing the 235 to the 260.

davidsoutpost(at)comcast.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

You can throttle back on the 260 hp models to get the same hp and fuel burn as the 235 hp if fuel burn is of concern. Its nice to have those extra ponies available though for when you need them.

David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell, MI
Sent: Monday, July 8, 2013 8:43:56 PM
Subject: Re: o-540

--> RV10-List message posted by: "JHearnsberger" <jakehearnsberger(at)gmail.com>

Thank you guys for your responses.  I've brought up several topics. I should have kept my question to fuel efficiency only. Comparing the 235 to the 260.

--------
Jake Hearnsberger
RV-10 Wings
Springhill, LA

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p= &==

[quote][b]

partner14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

Every RV&#x27;er that has ever gone with less hp or smaller displacement, always pays the price. They have to run a higher percentage of power just to keep up, and because of that they also end up burning more fuel. Also if you&#x27;re carbeurated you have more difficulty running lean of peak, which also means you burn more fuel.A friend of mine with a new Mattituck, carbed 540 has an avg cruise fuel burn between 11 and 12 gph.... whereas I burn between 9.6 and 10.2.... do the math, I now have over 500 hours, at a 1+ gph more fuel burn, that would cost you around $2,800 in additional fuel cost..... so over the life of the TBO, over $10,000!!!!!!!!Don McDonald
From: davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net <davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net>;
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>;
Subject: Re: Re: o-540
Sent: Tue, Jul 9, 2013 2:03:45 AM

You can throttle back on the 260 hp models to get the same hp and fuel burn as the 235 hp if fuel burn is of concern. Its nice to have those extra ponies available though for when you need them.

David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell, MI

Thank you guys for your responses. I've brought up several topics. I should have kept my question to fuel efficiency only. Comparing the 235 to the 260.

--------
Jake Hearnsberger
RV-10 Wings
Springhill, LA

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p= &==

Quote:

[quote][b]

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

Actually, the 260 operated at 176 hp, or 75 percent for a 235, will get better economy because of the higher compression.

For example, a Mooney 201 with 200 hp Lycoming will out run a Mooney 231 with Continental turbocharged 210 hp engine below 8000 ft, simply because the turbo isn't producing any more power there than the normally aspirated engine. The Lyc is 8.7 to 1 while the Cont is 7 to 1. Lyc operates at atmospheric pressure, Cont at 39 inches to make up for the lower compression. The Lyc burns 11 gph in cruise ROP, the Cont burns 12-13 at same power. The 231 doesn't shine until it gets above 10,000 ft where it can produce more power than the normally aspirated 201. Their airframes are pretty identical outside powerplant differences.

Another example...Bonanza with IO-470 260hp engine will burn more fuel on all but very short flights than one with STC'd IO-550 310 hp, especially if they both operate at the same indicated airspeed, just because the bigger engine breathes more efficiently and can get up to altitude faster.

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM, <davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net (davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
You can throttle back on the 260 hp models to get the same hp and fuel burn as the 235 hp if fuel burn is of concern.  Its nice to have those extra ponies available though for when you need them. 

David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell,  MI
From: "JHearnsberger" <jakehearnsberger(at)gmail.com (jakehearnsberger(at)gmail.com)>
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

--> RV10-List message posted by: "JHearnsberger" <jakehearnsberger(at)gmail.com (jakehearnsberger(at)gmail.com)>

Thank you guys for your responses.  I've brought up several topics.  I should have kept my question to fuel efficiency only.  Comparing the 235 to the 260.

--------
Jake Hearnsberger
RV-10 Wings
Springhill, LA

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=                     &==

Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--

- sent from the microchip implanted in my forearm

[quote][b]

Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

Performance Engines out of La Verne, CA built my IO-540. With 10:1 compression and 1 Lightspeed they rated it at 310 HP. With 799 hours on it I have put 8003 gallons of 100LL in, just about exactly 10 GPH average. (I’m not going to tell my wife how much 8K gallons of gas costs)
Albert Gardner
N991RV
Yuma, AZ

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Don McDonald
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 8:27 PM

Every RV'er that has ever gone with less hp or smaller displacement, always pays the price. They have to run a higher percentage of power just to keep up, and because of that they also end up burning more fuel. Also if you're carbeurated you have more difficulty running lean of peak, which also means you burn more fuel.
A friend of mine with a new Mattituck, carbed 540 has an avg cruise fuel burn between 11 and 12 gph.... whereas I burn between 9.6 and 10.2.... do the math, I now have over 500 hours, at a 1+ gph more fuel burn, that would cost you around $2,800 in additional fuel cost..... so over the life of the TBO, over $10,000!!!!!!!!
Don McDonald

[quote][b]

tfarrell839

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

Since Performance Engines has been brought up in this thread . . .  Many have had great experiences with them, but the Lancair community has had some pretty serious safety issues come up.  I personally have no facts, so I will not judge, but my opinion is that it should be disclosed that past customers have brought to light some issues with Continental engines.  Below is a snippet from the Lancair Yahoo group from 2010 and more info can be found on LML (Lancair Mailing List).

"There's been a lot of talk lately on other sites regarding the overhauled
engines delivered by Performance Engines of La Vern, CA. There have been
several total failures lately and a few others have had theirs torn down for
inspection only to find unserviceable or out of tolerance parts installed. In
one case, the engine case was cracked. This is causing many owners a lot of
money and putting their lives at risk. The FAA is currently paying very close
attention to PE."

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Albert Gardner <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Performance Engines out of La Verne, CA built my IO-540. With 10:1 compression and 1 Lightspeed they rated it at 310 HP. With 799 hours on it I have put 8003 gallons of 100LL in, just about exactly 10 GPH average. (I’m not going to tell my wife how much 8K gallons of gas costs)
Albert Gardner
N991RV
Yuma, AZ

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Don McDonald

Every RV'er that has ever gone with less hp or smaller displacement, always pays the price. They have to run a higher percentage of power just to keep up, and because of that they also end up burning more fuel. Also if you're carbeurated you have more difficulty running lean of peak, which also means you burn more fuel.
A friend of mine with a new Mattituck, carbed 540 has an avg cruise fuel burn between 11 and 12 gph.... whereas I burn between 9.6 and 10.2.... do the math, I now have over 500 hours, at a 1+ gph more fuel burn, that would cost you around $2,800 in additional fuel cost..... so over the life of the TBO, over $10,000!!!!!!!!
Don McDonald

Quote:

_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--

Aircrafters
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville CA, 95076
KWVI
831-722-9141
www.AircraftersLLC.com

[quote][b]

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

Hard to go wrong with Barrett unless you don’t like to be pushed back in your seat when you advance the throttle. J.

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Farrell
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 9:42 AM

Since Performance Engines has been brought up in this thread . . . Many have had great experiences with them, but the Lancair community has had some pretty serious safety issues come up. I personally have no facts, so I will not judge, but my opinion is that it should be disclosed that past customers have brought to light some issues with Continental engines. Below is a snippet from the Lancair Yahoo group from 2010 and more info can be found on LML (Lancair Mailing List).

attention to PE."

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Albert Gardner <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Albert Gardner
N991RV
Yuma, AZ

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Don McDonald

Don McDonald

Quote:
get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listtp://forums.matronics.com_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--

Aircrafters
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville CA, 95076
KWVI
831-722-9141
www.AircraftersLLC.com
Quote:
==============[/b][/quote] V10-List Email Forum -[/b][/quote] >[/b][/quote] :p>[/b][/quote] /o:p>[/b][/quote] tor?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List[/b][/quote] ==============[/b][/quote] bsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -[/b][/quote] :p>[/b][/quote] tp://forums.matronics.com[/b][/quote] ==============[/b][/quote] bsp; - List Contribution Web Site -[/b][/quote] e> bsp;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.[/b][/quote] bution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution[/b][/quote] ==============[/b] [/quote]

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
r>
[quote][b]

rleffler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

I concur. I wish they were still selling new kits when I bought mine. I did help facilitate getting a neighbor's engine overhauled by Barrett. Quality was second to none.  You can't beat the support both Rhonda and Alan have given the RV-10 community.
They've been known to hang out at the RV-10 hq at OSH. Given folks their personal cell numbers and taking calls during off hours. Help folks when there is no money in it for them. Hang out here and on VAF. Generally all around good people that do their best to support the experimental community. You can't ask for better support.
Bob

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 9, 2013, at 1:31 PM, Robin Marks <robin(at)painttheweb.com (robin(at)painttheweb.com)> wrote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hard to go wrong with Barrett unless you don’t like to be pushed back in your seat when you advance the throttle. J.

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Tim Farrell

Since Performance Engines has been brought up in this thread . . . Many have had great experiences with them, but the Lancair community has had some pretty serious safety issues come up. I personally have no facts, so I will not judge, but my opinion is that it should be disclosed that past customers have brought to light some issues with Continental engines. Below is a snippet from the Lancair Yahoo group from 2010 and more info can be found on LML (Lancair Mailing List).

attention to PE."

Quote:

Albert Gardner
N991RV
Yuma, AZ

Don McDonald

Quote:
get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listtp://forums.matronics.com_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--

Aircrafters
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville CA, 95076
KWVI
831-722-9141
www.AircraftersLLC.com
Quote:
============== V10-List Email Forum - > :p> /o:p> tor?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List ============== bsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - :p> tp://forums.matronics.com ============== bsp; - List Contribution Web Site - e> bsp; -Matt Dralle, List Admin. bution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution ==============
Quote:

r>
[quote]

===================================
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Rhonda(at)bpaengines.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

We hope to see you all at the RV gathering hosted by the beer fairy on Monday night at Osh. We’ll be there with bells on!

[b]Rhonda Barrett-Bewley[/b]
[i]Barrett Precision Engines[/i]
2870-B N. Sheridan Rd.
Tulsa, OK 74115
(918) 835-1089 phone
(918) 835-1754 fax

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bob Leffler
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 12:54 PM

I concur. I wish they were still selling new kits when I bought mine. I did help facilitate getting a neighbor's engine overhauled by Barrett. Quality was second to none. You can't beat the support both Rhonda and Alan have given the RV-10 community.

They've been known to hang out at the RV-10 hq at OSH. Given folks their personal cell numbers and taking calls during off hours. Help folks when there is no money in it for them. Hang out here and on VAF. Generally all around good people that do their best to support the experimental community. You can't ask for better support.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 9, 2013, at 1:31 PM, Robin Marks <robin(at)painttheweb.com (robin(at)painttheweb.com)> wrote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Tim Farrell

attention to PE."

Quote:

Albert Gardner
N991RV
Yuma, AZ

Don McDonald

Quote:

--

Aircrafters
140 Aviation Way
Watsonville CA, 95076
KWVI
831-722-9141
www.AircraftersLLC.com
Quote:

============== V10-List Email Forum - > :p> /o:p> tor?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List ============== bsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - :p> tp://forums.matronics.com ============== bsp; - List Contribution Web Site - e> bsp;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin. bution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution ==============
Quote:

r>
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

I have heard others make these types of claims. There's no way 10:1 and 1 Lightspeed is going to make 260HP into 310HP. If 7:1 to 8.5:1 takes it from 235HP to 250HP, even if the comparison is not linear, you couldn't get to 310HP.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)

On Jul 9, 2013, at 1:26 AM, Albert Gardner <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Albert Gardner
N991RV
Yuma, AZ

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Don McDonald

Don McDonald

Quote:

style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
purple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://forums.matronics.com
style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Rhonda(at)bpaengines.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

Jesse:

With an updraft sump, you are absolutely correct. With cold air induction and either an RSA10 or Airflow Performance FM250/FM300A, a 10:1 parallel head engine will make right at 300 hp.

[b]Rhonda Barrett-Bewley[/b]
[i]Barrett Precision Engines[/i]
2870-B N. Sheridan Rd.
Tulsa, OK 74115
(918) 835-1089 phone
(918) 835-1754 fax

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Saint
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:45 AM

I have heard others make these types of claims. There's no way 10:1 and 1 Lightspeed is going to make 260HP into 310HP. If 7:1 to 8.5:1 takes it from 235HP to 250HP, even if the comparison is not linear, you couldn't get to 310HP.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.

On Jul 9, 2013, at 1:26 AM, Albert Gardner <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com (ibspud(at)roadrunner.com)> wrote:

Albert Gardner

N991RV

Yuma, AZ

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Don McDonald

Don McDonald

Quote:
style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listpurple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://forums.matronics.comstyle="color: purple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

I'd like to know what someone is going to do with the extra hp(300 or
310). With 260 hp the aircraft is already capable of making within 10%
of its design flutter speed in level flight. How close do you really
want to be of having a control surface ripped from the plane? Perhaps
achieve 2000 fpm climb instead of 1600 fpm? Burn enough fuel to cruise
at 185kts instead of 175 or 165 kts? How much extra fuel does that take??
IIRC there is already enough power to cruise up into the lower flight
levels.
What is someone going to do for fuel if 100 octane becomes scarce or
more than double current ridiculous price?
I don't know how the 10:1 fares in a parallel valve engine, but in an
angle valve, such as where there is an STC for 200 hp certified planes
like the Cardinal RG and Mooney 201, the cylinders tend to wear out by
50% TBO unless operated at very conservative settings for CHT. AFAIK
Lycoming only used that compression in a helicopter engine with a
different TBO and operating regime.
With 8.5:1 stock pistons you can still burn premium mogas if you can
find it without ethanol. Not going to happen at higher compression.
Now there are other supporting reasons to run cold-air induction and/or
electronic ignition, but higher compression seems to me to have more
negative than positive aspects.
Of course it is EXPERIMENTAL, so everyone is free to make the choices
that make them happy.

On 7/10/2013 5:45 AM, Jesse Saint wrote:
Quote:
I have heard others make these types of claims. There's no way 10:1
and 1 Lightspeed is going to make 260HP into 310HP. If 7:1 to 8.5:1
takes it from 235HP to 250HP, even if the comparison is not linear,
you couldn't get to 310HP.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com <mailto:jesse(at)saintaviation.com>

On Jul 9, 2013, at 1:26 AM, Albert Gardner <ibspud(at)roadrunner.com
<mailto:ibspud(at)roadrunner.com>> wrote:

> Performance Engines out of La Verne, CA built my IO-540. With 10:1
> compression and 1 Lightspeed they rated it at 310 HP. With 799 hours
> on it I have put 8003 gallons of 100LL in, just about exactly 10 GPH
> average. (I’m not going to tell my wife how much 8K gallons of gas costs)
> Albert Gardner
> N991RV
> Yuma, AZ
> *From:*owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com
> <mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com>[mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com
> <mailto:rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com>]*On Behalf Of*Don McDonald
> *Sent:*Monday, July 08, 2013 8:27 PM
> *To:*rv10-list(at)matronics.com <mailto:rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
> *Subject:*Re: Re: o-540
> Every RV'er that has ever gone with less hp or smaller displacement,
> always pays the price. They have to run a higher percentage of power
> just to keep up, and because of that they also end up burning more
> fuel. Also if you're carbeurated you have more difficulty running
> lean of peak, which also means you burn more fuel.
> A friend of mine with a new Mattituck, carbed 540 has an avg cruise
> fuel burn between 11 and 12 gph.... whereas I burn between 9.6 and
> 10.2.... do the math, I now have over 500 hours, at a 1+ gph more
> fuel burn, that would cost you around $2,800 in additional fuel
> cost..... so over the life of the TBO, over $10,000!!!!!!!!
> Don McDonald
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *
>
> style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
> purple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://forums.matronics.com
> style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
>
> *
>

Rhonda(at)bpaengines.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

Kelly:

As a general rule, we don't actively encourage our RV-10 drivers to
install 10:1 compression in their engines. We think that 9:1 and cold
air is a nice combination and maintain a 2000 hour tbo, 8.5:1 if the
consumer wants to run mogas.

Historically, a 10:1 compression engine lasts only about 1,000 hours
before TBO. This is the compression that Red Bull Air Race runs,
although a number of air show performers run higher (generally 11:1),
but then again they go through their engines every couple of years.

There's definitely a trade off to pumping it up that high.

Rhonda Barrett-Bewley
2870-B N. Sheridan Rd.
Tulsa, OK 74115
(918) 835-1089 phone
(918) 835-1754 fax

--

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

My 9:1 with Forward Facing Cold Induction & FM300 plus 2 Mags tested at 293 Hp. Still waiting for a simple EI swap out. And waiting, and waiting…

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rhonda Bewley
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:54 AM
Subject: RE: Re: o-540

Jesse:

With an updraft sump, you are absolutely correct. With cold air induction and either an RSA10 or Airflow Performance FM250/FM300A, a 10:1 parallel head engine will make right at 300 hp.

Rhonda Barrett-Bewley
2870-B N. Sheridan Rd.
Tulsa, OK 74115
(918) 835-1089 phone
(918) 835-1754 fax

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Jesse Saint

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.

Albert Gardner

N991RV

Yuma, AZ

Subject: Re: RV10-List: Re: o-540

Don McDonald

Quote:
style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listpurple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://forums.matronics.comstyle="color: purple; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Quote:
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
Quote:
Quote:
2 ==============[/b][/quote] V10-List Email Forum -[/b][/quote] >[/b][/quote] :p>[/b][/quote] /o:p>[/b][/quote] tor?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List[/b][/quote] ==============[/b][/quote] bsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -[/b][/quote] :p>[/b][/quote] tp://forums.matronics.com[/b][/quote] ==============[/b][/quote] bsp; - List Contribution Web Site -[/b][/quote] e> bsp;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.[/b][/quote] bution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution[/b][/quote] ==============[/b] [/quote]3

:p>
[quote][b]

rv10pro(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: o-540 Reply with quote

One firm was just pencil whipping the Horsepower output to meet Marketing hype.  A dyno run like those available at Barrett is the only basis for quoting output.  In writing, from a reputable firm such as Barrett. Opposed piston, inducted fuel/air piston engines creating horsepower output is a mathematical formula some firms love to manipulate.  I still laugh at the RV-10 N425HP that was advertised for sale with numerically altered output.  An extended dyno run is a great way to effectively and safely break-in a brand new build.

John

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Robin Marks <robin(at)painttheweb.com (robin(at)painttheweb.com)> wrote:
[quote]
My 9:1 with Forward Facing Cold Induction & FM300 plus 2 Mags tested at 293 Hp. Still waiting for a simple EI swap out. And waiting, and waiting…

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Rhonda Bewley
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:54 AM
Subject: RE: Re: o-540

Jesse:

With an updraft sump, you are absolutely correct.  With cold air induction and either an RSA10 or Airflow Performance FM250/FM300A, a 10:1 parallel head engine will make right at 300 hp. 

Rhonda Barrett-Bewley
2870-B N. Sheridan Rd.
Tulsa, OK 74115
[url=tel:%28918%29%20835-1089](918) 835-1089[/url] phone
[url=tel:%28918%29%20835-1754](918) 835-1754[/url] fax

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Jesse Saint

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
C: [url=tel:352-427-0285]352-427-0285[/url]
F: [url=tel:815-377-3694]815-377-3694[/url]

Albert Gardner

N991RV

Yuma, AZ

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner- ([email]owner-[/email])rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Don McDonald
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 8:27 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Re: o-540

Don McDonald

Quote:

Quote:
  href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-Listhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com 
Quote:

Quote:

2 ============== V10-List Email Forum - > :p> /o:p> tor?RV10-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List ============== bsp;    - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - :p> tp://forums.matronics.com ============== bsp;  - List Contribution Web Site - e> bsp;                   -Matt Dralle, List Admin. bution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution ==============
Quote:

:p>
Quote:

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: