Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blocking heater vent outlets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rv10rob(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Blocking heater vent outlets Reply with quote

My rear heater leaks--the door is bent, so even when it's closed, it still lets a decent amount of hot air through.  As a temporary fix, does anyone see a problem with using aluminum tape to block the air outlets, by the rear passenger feet?  I figure there will be no air flow, so no issue.  Thanks...

-Rob

--
Rob Kochman
RV-10 Flying since March 2011
Woodinville, WA
http://kochman.net/N819K

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
arplnplt(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Blocking heater vent outlets Reply with quote

Block the inlet in the engine compartment.

Dave Leikam

On Jul 9, 2013, at 4:32 PM, Rob Kochman wrote:
[quote]My rear heater leaks--the door is bent, so even when it's closed, it still lets a decent amount of hot air through. As a temporary fix, does anyone see a problem with using aluminum tape to block the air outlets, by the rear passenger feet? I figure there will be no air flow, so no issue. Thanks...

-Rob

--
Rob Kochman
Woodinville, WA

Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Blocking heater vent outlets Reply with quote

I agree. Otherwise all of that hot air is sitting inside the scat tube inside the tunnel. Another option, temporarily, would be to block off the fresh air inlet on the baffles that goes to the rear seat heater.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)
C: 352-427-0285
F: 815-377-3694

On Jul 9, 2013, at 9:57 PM, David Leikam <arplnplt(at)gmail.com (arplnplt(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Block the inlet in the engine compartment.

Dave Leikam

On Jul 9, 2013, at 4:32 PM, Rob Kochman wrote:
Quote:
My rear heater leaks--the door is bent, so even when it's closed, it still lets a decent amount of hot air through. As a temporary fix, does anyone see a problem with using aluminum tape to block the air outlets, by the rear passenger feet? I figure there will be no air flow, so no issue. Thanks...

-Rob

--
Rob Kochman
Woodinville, WA

Quote:

[b]

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Blocking heater vent outlets Reply with quote

I fly in FL and my Traumahawk had the same problem .... so I pulled the scat tube off the muffler and placed it in the bottom cowl so I got a little suction on it ..... didn't want the smells in the cockpit. When winter rolls around .... all 4 days of it .... I just slip the scat tube back in place.

I plan on regulating the amount of heat in the cabin of the -10 by blocking off some of the inlet on the baffling with metal tape ..... when I get flying. I think about 1/2 of the diam should be a good start.
Linn

On 7/10/2013 8:48 AM, Jesse Saint wrote:

[quote] I agree. Otherwise all of that hot air is sitting inside the scat tube inside the tunnel. Another option, temporarily, would be to block off the fresh air inlet on the baffles that goes to the rear seat heater.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.

[b]

flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Blocking heater vent outlets Reply with quote

I fly in Florida too and have routed one of the scat tubing with fresh air from the cool side of the cowl, in the high pressure area, into the tunnel. The tunnel stays fairly cool (although warm to touch in the summer) and I have flown in 20 deg weather without suffering from the cold. At these temperatures, if the wife is in the back, she sez it is a little chilly and sleeps with a blanket. No different flying the airlines these days. During decent, it gets chilly in the front too but not cold.

Do Not archive.
On Jul 10, 2013, at 9:46 AM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote] I fly in FL and my Traumahawk had the same problem .... so I pulled the scat tube off the muffler and placed it in the bottom cowl so I got a little suction on it ..... didn't want the smells in the cockpit. When winter rolls around .... all 4 days of it .... I just slip the scat tube back in place.

I plan on regulating the amount of heat in the cabin of the -10 by blocking off some of the inlet on the baffling with metal tape ..... when I get flying. I think about 1/2 of the diam should be a good start.
Linn

Quote:
I agree. Otherwise all of that hot air is sitting inside the scat tube inside the tunnel. Another option, temporarily, would be to block off the fresh air inlet on the baffles that goes to the rear seat heater.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.

[b]

rv10rob(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Blocking heater vent outlets Reply with quote

Thanks, guys... I should have specified that "temporary" meant very temporary--until I pull the cowl next time.  My thought is that since the outlet is blocked, there's no airflow, and thus the scat tube isn't really heating up. 

I've been told *not* to block the inlet at the baffles, since it's required to cool the shrouded portion of the exhaust.
-Rob

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Rob Kermanj <flysrv10(at)gmail.com (flysrv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I fly in Florida too and have routed one of the scat tubing with fresh air from the cool side of the cowl, in the high pressure area, into the tunnel.  The tunnel stays fairly cool (although warm to touch in the summer) and I have flown in 20 deg weather without suffering from the cold.  At these temperatures, if the wife is in the back, she sez it is a little chilly and sleeps with a blanket.  No different flying the airlines these days. During decent, it gets chilly in the front too but not cold.

Do Not archive.
On Jul 10, 2013, at 9:46 AM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I fly in FL and my Traumahawk had the same problem .... so I pulled the scat tube off the muffler and placed it in the bottom cowl so I got a little suction on it ..... didn't want the smells in the cockpit.  When winter rolls around .... all 4 days of it .... I just slip the scat tube back in place.

I plan on regulating the amount of heat in the cabin of the -10 by blocking off some of the inlet on the baffling with metal tape ..... when I get flying.  I think about 1/2 of the diam should be a good start.
Linn

Quote:

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
C: [url=tel:352-427-0285]352-427-0285[/url]
F: [url=tel:815-377-3694]815-377-3694[/url]

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
ass="im">
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--
Rob Kochman
Woodinville, WA

[quote][b]

flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Blocking heater vent outlets Reply with quote

I believe you are right. I don't remember how I managed mine. If you need to know, I can look and let you know.
Do not archive.

Rob Kermanj
Sent from my iPad

On Jul 10, 2013, at 6:33 PM, Rob Kochman <rv10rob(at)gmail.com (rv10rob(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Thanks, guys... I should have specified that "temporary" meant very temporary--until I pull the cowl next time. My thought is that since the outlet is blocked, there's no airflow, and thus the scat tube isn't really heating up.

I've been told *not* to block the inlet at the baffles, since it's required to cool the shrouded portion of the exhaust.
-Rob

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Rob Kermanj <flysrv10(at)gmail.com (flysrv10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I fly in Florida too and have routed one of the scat tubing with fresh air from the cool side of the cowl, in the high pressure area, into the tunnel. The tunnel stays fairly cool (although warm to touch in the summer) and I have flown in 20 deg weather without suffering from the cold. At these temperatures, if the wife is in the back, she sez it is a little chilly and sleeps with a blanket. No different flying the airlines these days. During decent, it gets chilly in the front too but not cold.

Do Not archive.

Quote:
I fly in FL and my Traumahawk had the same problem .... so I pulled the scat tube off the muffler and placed it in the bottom cowl so I got a little suction on it ..... didn't want the smells in the cockpit. When winter rolls around .... all 4 days of it .... I just slip the scat tube back in place.

Linn

Quote:

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
C: [url=tel:352-427-0285]352-427-0285[/url]
F: [url=tel:815-377-3694]815-377-3694[/url]

ass="im">

--
Rob Kochman
Woodinville, WA
Quote:

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: