Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scratch building??? Maybe??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John.Hines(at)craftontull

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Scratch building??? Maybe?? Reply with quote

Guys,

A couple of you guys have been trying to convince me to scratch build since I'm kinda stuck (financially) on my kit. I already have my tail kit complete. I ordered the DVD "Scratch Building Basics for Metal Aircraft" last week but haven't received it yet. I was looking on aircraft spruce for pricing on 6061T6 aluminum. Is there a list published somewhere with the quantity and size of materials needed to scratch build? I have also seen a few pictures on builders web pages with full size drawings of templates and aluminum pieces to aid in cutting them out. Where did you get those?

Maybe a scratch build newbie convert,

John Hines

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
jsimons2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Scratch building??? Maybe?? Reply with quote

Hi John,
I got my DVD about 2 weeks ago. I can tell you that after watching it all of the mystery about forming sheet metal is gone. Yes, it is that good. I would highly recommend it to anyone even considering "scrap" building.
I chose to scratch build due to the finacial choices I had. Choice #1 - kit, can't afford, don't fly. Choice #2 - scratch build, affordable, fly. I'll be ordering my 601 HDS plans in about a week and a half (next payday). I did, however, luck out on one point. There is a major metal dealer only about 25 miles from me. It may cost a little more (don't really know if it would) but I won't have to pay any shipping charges (YEAH!). Good luck, I'll be joining the Zenith brotherhood soon.

Jerome Simons

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ch701builder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Scratch building??? Maybe?? Reply with quote

Hi John,
You didn't mention if you were building a 701 or 601.

www.ch701.com, or www.ch601.org

then go to builders resources and have a look around. I know on the CH701 site there is a fairly complete list, and I am sure there is one on the ch601 site also.

Good luck,

Keith
CH701 - 8% -- scratch
N 38.9947
W 105.1305
Alt. 9,100'
--

John.Hines(at)craftontull

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Scratch building??? Maybe?? Reply with quote

Keith,

Sorry, I'm building a 601 XL.  You can check out my progress on my website.   www.johnsplane.com

John

John R. HinesIT ManagerJohn.Hines(at)craftontull.com Office: 479-878-2449 Mobile: 479-366-4783 Fax: 479-631-6224 www.craftontull.com901 N. 47th Street, Suite 200 ·Rogers, AR 72756Crafton, Tull & Associates, Inc. exists to anticipate and understand the needs of our clients and provide them with successful solutions.
--

zodierocket(at)hsfx.ca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Scratch building??? Maybe?? Reply with quote

John, I have posted a pretty extensive inventory of things needed for plans builders on www.ch601.org Keith is right you may wish to spend some extended time there.

Mark Townsend  Alma, Ontario
Zodiac 601XL C-GOXL, CH701 just started
www.ch601.org / www.ch701.com/ www.Osprey2.com

--

randy(at)shadycreekoutlaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Scratch building??? Maybe?? Reply with quote

Hello John,

I bought all of my raw materials from Yarde Metals in High Point, NC,
although they have other warehouses across the US... You can visit their
site at: http://www.yarde.com The total cost of materials I bought from
them was about $1800...including the thick stuff to build the spring landing
gear... For my sheets, I used the cutting/layout templates from
http://www.ch601.org and just bought the number of sheets shown on the
layouts... For the flat bar, round bar, extrusion angle, I just made a
guess at that by looking at the plans and ordered it...

I've ordered a few odds & ends from Speedy's Metals. They have just about
anything you need and they'll cut to any size for you... And their prices
seem to be good too! Here's their URL:
http://stores.ebay.com/SPEEDY-METALS-1-888-744-4140
Here's what I ordered from Yarde Metals:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUANTITY - THICKNESS - WIDTH - LENGTH

1 - .016" - 48" X 144"
2 - .020" - 48" X 144"
15 - .025" - 48" X 144"
2 - .032" - 48" X 144"
1 - .040" - 48" X 144"
1 - .063" - 24" X 48"
1 - .090" - 18" X 12"
1 - .125" - 18" X 12"

6 - 12' pieces - 1 1/2" wide X 1/4" thick flat bar.
2 - 12' pieces of 3/4" X 3/4" - 0.093" Thick, extrusion angle.
1 - flat bar - 8" wide - 144" Long - 3/4" thick.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only item I've found I needed more of was the 1 1/2" wide X 1/4" thick
flat bar. When I figured what I needed, I forgot to include enough to build
the center spar with and ran short there and had to order more... Up to
this point, even with a few mistakes, I'm running on schedule, and maybe a
little ahead, on materials... There are a lot of the small parts you can
make from the scrap you generate, like pieces between wing ribs after you
cut them out, that will help conserve your material... NOW, I'm only just
about ready to start on the fuselage probably by the end of this month, so
I'm a ways from being done... BUT, by my "guesstimation" I really don't
think I'll have to order more of the 'standard' materials... I have found
that I forgot to order the flat plate to make my front nose fork from and
I'll have to order it later... But other than that, I've not found anything
I don't have material for... Oh, you'll need some galvanized sheet to make
the firewall from... I didn't order this because I'm not sure yet if I'll
make mine from galvanized or .015" stainless... The jury is still out on
this one.. When I reach a decision, I'll have to order this material...

Oh yeah, order about 1 foot of 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 1/8" extrusion angle...
You'll need this to make your aileron bellcrank supports...

One more pointer I'll give you:

The plans say to make the fuel tanks from .032" material, and I have enough
to do it with... BUT, I'm thinking of ordering enough .050" to make mine
from... The welders that I've talked to say that the tanks would be much
better, and easier to weld if made from .050" instead of the .032" called
for in the plans... This might be something to think of when ordering your
raw sheets...
If you have any more questions, please ask...

Thanks!

Randy
XL Wings - Plans Only
http://www.n344rb.com

---

sky_ranger161

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Scratch building??? Maybe?? Reply with quote

Hi John,

I'm still fairly new to the whole process (I've been scratch-building my XL for almost a year now), but I can tell you that with patience, a few specialized tools, and a healthy dose of common sense you can totally make scratch-building work for you. I too am one of the more "financially challenged" builders, but here's how I do it. Very simply put, I keep my inventory low. I put in an $800 order to Yarde Metals at the beginning of my build, and I'm still working off that shipment of metal. When it runs out, I'll order more. Prices may fluctuate, and shipping may make it cost almost the same in the long run, but the truth of my situation is  that it's easier for me to afford $800 twice than $1600 once.

I orderd the scratch-build DVD's and they gave me a huge dose of confidence. In some cases, it appeared to me that I was trying to make things too precise. What the videos did for me was give me great ideas for getting things accomplished, and reinforce what I read from Chris Heinz about building a LSA - not a jet fighter.

At any rate, my position was pretty much the same as a few others - scratch build, or don't build at all. I've found it to be a reasonably simple, extremely rewarding way to operate, and I'd recommend you go for it. You can always go back to buying component kits (or any piece for that matter) that you want.

If it helps, here's my log on mykitlog.com. It details fairly well my thoughts and processes along the way. Like I said, I'm no expert, but like anybody who's read William Wynne's manual will tell you, I've finally got my seat at the table. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time my friend.

www.mykitlog.com/debo

Debo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: