Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Longer engine cables - throttle cable and mixture cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Longer engine cables - throttle cable and mixture cable Reply with quote

By ACS you mean Aircraft Spruce?

On 8/25/2013 7:41 PM, Kelly McMullen wrote:

[quote] Well, I am getting close to ordering my cables. I recall that ACS offers a higher quality cable than what Vans buys from them. Top quality cables also can be obtained from McFarlane, but are priced some where between 2 an 3 times Van's price. I need to talk to McFarlane as to what the real length of their cables that they list for the RV-10 measure, as they show for stock panel and for Aerosport panels but don't say what the length is on their website.

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com (Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com)>

During my 2nd condition inspection I see that both by throttle and mixture cables have started to wear through their sheathing in spots. I know needing longer cables than the stock Vans cables is a common requirement.

Where are people buying longer cables these days?

I see in the archives that Dave Saylor identifies someone is California. I also see ACS (not Aircraft Spruce?).

Thanks.

====================================
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
http://forums.matronics.com
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--

- sent from the microchip implanted in my forearm

Quote:

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
08/25/13 [b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Longer engine cables - throttle cable and mixture cable Reply with quote

I'm one of the many people using the recommended cable. It works and it is going to fail.

You gotta luv 'em. Seems like a case of selling what's on the truck.

On 8/25/2013 7:22 PM, Carl Froehlich wrote:

[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I sent this note to Van's a year and a half ago. The response back was 'many people are using the recommended cable'. The 50.5" cable from Van's worked just fine (standard Van's engine and push/pull controls).

Carl

From: Carl Froehlich [mailto:carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:58 PM
To: 'support(at)vansaircraft.com (support(at)vansaircraft.com)'
Subject: RV-10 Throttle Cable too short

I installed the Van’s recommended throttle cable (CT BLK THROTTLE 47.5) in my YIO-540 RV-10 project. It is simply too short. I just purchased and installed the IO-360 cable (CT BLK THROTTLE 50.5) and it fits better, but not perfect.

Recommend offering a 49” cable for the RV-10 throttle control, or at least selling the 50.5” instead of the 47.5” cable to RV-10 builders.

Your recommended prop and mixture cables worked well.

Carl Froehlich

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Longer engine cables - throttle cable and mixture cable Reply with quote

For me, the standard cables supplied with the quadrant, with a standard panel, worked
great. I used them for maybe 900 hours, and replaced the original green ones
with black from Cablecraft for the higher temp rating, and also heat shielded them
better at the time. I believe heat shielding is something that all builders should
incorporate into their build, for cable longevity, as the cables all route close enough
to the heat muffs that it may provide benefit. I won't know for another 1000 hours
or so, but I do expect these to last much longer.

When I re-ordered cables, the originals had fit perfectly. The replacement cables
I ordered to the same lengths and they also fit. I don't know if they would have
fit nearly as good if they were even 1/2 to 1" longer and they definitely
wouldn't have worked if they were shorter.

Make sure when you poll and watch the forums that you pay close attention
to the panel and actuator type that people give. Any change in panel
can lead to a change in cable length, and push-pull vs quadrant is significant.

On a side note, I've seen it referenced many times that quadrant style is
the only type that they will allow in formation flying clinics...that's for those
building who may wonder why one or the other would be better for them.

Tim

On 8/25/2013 6:22 PM, Carl Froehlich wrote:

[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I sent this note to Van's a year and a half ago. The response back was 'many people are using the recommended cable'. The 50.5" cable from Van's worked just fine (standard Van's engine and push/pull controls).

Carl

[b]

rv10flyer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer engine cables - throttle cable and mixture cable Reply with quote

Stock panel, engine, MT gov, vernier controls. I used the RV-7 throttle and ordered prop and mixture 1" longer from ACS. Throttle was 1" longer than needed but works okay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: