Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolb Xtra weight. & balance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yellowbird1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a Kolb Xtra and have installed a BRS on it. I had to jump through a few hurdles and have yet to fly it. Now that the BRS is installed I am unable to get the correct CG.
According to the information I have the CG should between 11.5% and 35% of the chord of the wing, in my case the wing chord is 66inches. Which equates to a CG range of 7.5 - 23.1 inches aft datum. However, I'm getting about 28.
I used bathroom scales to measure, but could only get one per wheel to work, I was unable to get two scales per main wheel to work. When I put a board across the two only one scale would notice the weight.

So my questions are:
Is the CG range and/or the %s used (11.5 and 35) correct ?

Could the weights be that far off?
Could the bathroom scales be that much of POSs?
The total AF weight from the previous owner's W&B was 601lbs and mine came out to be (on the last weighting as I have done at least 1/2 dozen) was 751lbs. As far as I can tell the previous owner added tundra tires after his last W&B and the weight of the BRS is only 18.6 lbs (which may not include the mounting hardware. But I don't think that adds up to 150lbs.

Any help, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.
I really to get in the air!

Brad Nation
Xtra N952DK
<pre><b><font size=2 color="#000000" face="courier new,courier">

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

rowedenny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

Without good scales you are pissing into the wind, both those weights sound high, my Mk3 weighs 475 pounds but I really built it light and have a light two stroke engine, I guess the Xtra have a lot more bells and whistles. I hope to add some weight to it in the form of a 912 engine someday.

Dennis "Skid" Rowe
Mk3, 690L-70, Leechburg, PA

On Aug 31, 2013, at 9:29 PM, <nationcap(at)comcast.net> wrote:

Quote:
I have recently purchased a Kolb Xtra and have installed a BRS on it. I had to jump through a few hurdles and have yet to fly it. Now that the BRS is installed I am unable to get the correct CG.
According to the information I have the CG should between 11.5% and 35% of the chord of the wing, in my case the wing chord is 66inches. Which equates to a CG range of 7.5 - 23.1 inches aft datum. However, I'm getting about 28.
I used bathroom scales to measure, but could only get one per wheel to work, I was unable to get two scales per main wheel to work. When I put a board across the two only one scale would notice the weight.

So my questions are:

The total AF weight from the previous owner's W&B was 601lbs and mine came out to be (on the last weighting as I have done at least 1/2 dozen) was 751lbs. As far as I can tell the previous owner added tundra tires after his last W&B and the weight of the BRS is only 18.6 lbs (which may not include the mounting hardware. But I don't think that adds up to 150lbs.

Brad Nation
Xtra N952DK

</b></font></pre>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

colin.scott.hudson(at)gma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

Brad I got my builders manual for my Mark 3 X-tra out and your numbers are a little off, close but off.  Your mixing your % and inches.  This is what my manual states.  The chord of an airfoil is the straight line distance from the leading edge to the trailing edge.  Our wings have a flat bottom surface so the chord is measured along it.  The average wing chord is 58"  (You stated yours was 66", quite a difference.)  and the airplane will be safe to fly if the center of gravity is between 20% and 35% of the wing chord as measured from datum (the leading edge).  20% chord is 11.6" aft of the leading edge and 35% chord is 20.3".  The airplane is in balance if the CG falls between 11.6 and 20.3" aft of the leading edge of the wing.  For reference the mounting tab on the wing root for the main spar is 18" aft of the leading edge.  You said your empty weight came out to be 751.  My Mark3Xtra with a Jabiru engine and canister BRS has an empty weight of 567 lbs.  The canister system weight may be a little more than the VLS, it weighs 21 lbs 4 oz.  Here's what my manual says about weighing your aircraft: The weight and balance can be done in one weighing if you have two high capacity scales and a bathroom scale or five bathroom scales (two for each main wheel and one for the tail).  This is the easiest and you are less likely to make a mistake.  When using two scales for each main wheel, bridge them with a board and pace the wheel in the center.  Add both scale readins together and subtract the weight of the board from your totals.  If you are limited to three scales or less, block up the wheel(s) not on the scales as needed to level the airplane and read the weight one wheel at a time.  
The basis weight and balance equation is Weight X Distance = Moment
1. Weigh each wheel
2.  Multiply each wheel weight by its distance from the datum point.
3.  Add the three resulting moments together.
4,  Divide the resultant moment by the total empty weigh (the sum of the readings of all scales.)  This will give the distance of the center of gravity (CG) from the datum.
I know this is a little lengthy, but hope it helps you some.

Colin
Colin S. Hudson
A&P/ ATP
N424AL

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Dennis Rowe <rowedenny(at)windstream.net (rowedenny(at)windstream.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: Dennis Rowe <rowedenny(at)windstream.net (rowedenny(at)windstream.net)>

Without good scales you are pissing into the wind, both those weights sound high, my Mk3 weighs 475 pounds but I really built it light and have a light two stroke engine, I guess the Xtra have a lot more bells and whistles. I hope to add some weight to it in the form of a 912 engine someday.

Dennis "Skid" Rowe

On Aug 31, 2013, at 9:29 PM, <nationcap(at)comcast.net (nationcap(at)comcast.net)> wrote:

> I have recently purchased a Kolb Xtra and have installed a BRS on it. I had to jump through a few hurdles and have yet to fly it. Now that the BRS is installed I am unable to get the correct CG.
> According to the information I have the CG should between 11.5% and 35% of the chord of the wing, in my case the wing chord is 66inches. Which equates to a CG range of 7.5 - 23.1 inches aft datum. However, I'm getting about 28.
> I used bathroom scales to measure, but could only get one per wheel to work, I was unable to get two scales per main wheel to work. When I put a board across the two only one scale would notice the weight.
>
> So my questions are:
> Is the CG range and/or the %s used (11.5 and 35) correct ?
>
> Could the weights be that far off?
> Could the bathroom scales be that much of POSs?
> The total AF weight from the previous owner's W&B was 601lbs and mine came out to be  (on the last weighting as I have done at least 1/2 dozen) was 751lbs.  As far as I can tell the previous owner added tundra tires after his last W&B and the weight of the BRS is only 18.6 lbs (which may not include the mounting hardware. But I don't think that adds up to 150lbs.
>
> Any help, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.
> I really to get in the air!
>
> Brad Nation
> Xtra N952DK
> <pre><b><font size=2 color="#000000" face="courier new,courier">
>
>
> </b></font></pre>

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

rickofudall

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

Brad, First, did you put the airplane into the proper configuration when you weighed and measured. The bottom of the wing S/B at 9 degrees. While not having it set properly won't throw off the weight too much, it will throw off your measurements. 635 to 650 lb. is in range for an "X", 750 is not. If you must weigh with one scale, use a block under the other main while you weigh first one, then the other. Otherwise take it to you're nearest FBO or check with your local EAA chapter.
Good luck
Rick Girard
do not archive

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM, <nationcap(at)comcast.net (nationcap(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:

So my questions are:

The total AF weight from the previous owner's W&B was 601lbs and mine came out to be  (on the last weighting as I have done at least 1/2 dozen) was 751lbs.  As far as I can tell the previous owner added tundra tires after his last W&B and the weight of the BRS is only 18.6 lbs (which may not include the mounting hardware. But I don't think that adds up to 150lbs.

Brad Nation
Xtra N952DK

===========
igator?Kolb-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List</a>
===========
target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com</a>
===========
le, List Admin.
tribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution</a>
===========

</b></font></pre></body></html>

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

[quote][b]

colin.scott.hudson(at)gma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

Brad something else I forgot to mention earlier. I've used bathroom scales in the past and you have to find their pressure points. You can't just lay a board across them. Put a chunk of 2x4 on the spot where the scales read accurate then run you board across the two scales. Just remember to subtract you total board weight, this is known as Tare weight.

Colin Hudson
N424AL
Mark3Xtra

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 31, 2013, at 9:00 PM, Dennis Rowe <rowedenny(at)windstream.net> wrote:

Quote:

Dennis "Skid" Rowe

On Aug 31, 2013, at 9:29 PM, <nationcap(at)comcast.net> wrote:

> I have recently purchased a Kolb Xtra and have installed a BRS on it. I had to jump through a few hurdles and have yet to fly it. Now that the BRS is installed I am unable to get the correct CG.
> According to the information I have the CG should between 11.5% and 35% of the chord of the wing, in my case the wing chord is 66inches. Which equates to a CG range of 7.5 - 23.1 inches aft datum. However, I'm getting about 28.
> I used bathroom scales to measure, but could only get one per wheel to work, I was unable to get two scales per main wheel to work. When I put a board across the two only one scale would notice the weight.
>
> So my questions are:
> Is the CG range and/or the %s used (11.5 and 35) correct ?
>
> Could the weights be that far off?
> Could the bathroom scales be that much of POSs?
> The total AF weight from the previous owner's W&B was 601lbs and mine came out to be (on the last weighting as I have done at least 1/2 dozen) was 751lbs. As far as I can tell the previous owner added tundra tires after his last W&B and the weight of the BRS is only 18.6 lbs (which may not include the mounting hardware. But I don't think that adds up to 150lbs.
>
> Any help, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.
> I really to get in the air!
>
> Brad Nation
> Xtra N952DK
> <pre><b><font size=2 color="#000000" face="courier new,courier">
>
>
> </b></font></pre>

racerjerry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

Oh; remember to put your ass in seat before weighing. I am afraid that you will need someone else to read the scales. With my lighter Firestar II, I purchased 3 flat top $10 bath scales from Walmart and had no trouble at all with weighing.

Especially when using bathroom scales, you need to take care not to side load the scales or it will distort readings. What I did was pick up one main wheel and gently lay it back down on the scale. This keeps a toe error from causing a side load when rolling on to the scales (changing distance between main wheels).

I am sure you can get one of your local stock car guys interested enough in your project to pay a visit and bring along their digital scales; the scales are very portable and easily set up. A cold case of beer can work wonders with racers; just make sure it comes out afterwards.

yellowbird1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

If I add me to the weight then I'm not calculating the empty weight and the CG be off, even though it's not within range now which is the problem. I haven't measured the arm for the seats so I don't know how much off it will be. But just looking at it it looks like the seats are pretty close to the datum point.

I tried to using regular scales but they were very inaccurate , I lastly used two digital bathroom scales with a 2x6 but I could only get one of the scales to register.
At first I rolled onto the scales but I wasn't confident in the reading that I started over and lowered the wheels onto the scales. But even then I was getting inconsistent readings.
So for now the weight seems heavy with an aft out of range CG. As for adding the pilot to the basic equation, I'll crunch some numbers and see if that might make a difference.

Thanks shine for all the input.

Brad

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App so there may be some typos.

--

rickofudall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

Brad, Okay, I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you worried that the empty CG is too far aft? If that's the case you don't understand the process. You HAVE to know the arm to the pilot seat. With that info you can then calculate the minimum pilot weight, in order to get the CG into the aft end of it's range, and maximum pilot and passenger weight to keep the CG from running out the forward end of the range. Consider the Blanik L-13 sailplane. It's empty CG is at 78% of chord. Put a 150 lb pilot into the front seat and the loaded CG comes into the aft end of the range.
Rick Girard

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM, <nationcap(at)comcast.net (nationcap(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote] If I add me to the weight then I'm not calculating the empty weight and the CG be off, even though it's not within range now which is the problem. I haven't measured the arm for the seats so I don't know how much off it will be. But just looking at it it looks like the seats are pretty close to the datum point.

I tried to using regular scales but they were very inaccurate ,  I lastly used two digital bathroom scales with a 2x6 but I could only get one of the scales to register.
At first I rolled onto the scales but I wasn't confident in the reading that I started over and lowered the wheels onto the scales. But even then I was getting inconsistent readings.
So for now the weight seems heavy with an aft out of range CG.  As for adding the pilot to the basic equation, I'll crunch some numbers and see if that might  make a difference.

Brad

--

rickofudall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

Dang it, hit return before I was ready. Attached is the spread sheet for an Xtra. Put 0 into pilot weight in the last section and you'll see the CG is too far aft. You must figure in the pilot weight at some minimum to get the CG into range.

Rick

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Brad, Okay, I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you worried that the empty CG is too far aft? If that's the case you don't understand the process.  You HAVE to know the arm to the pilot seat. With that info you can then calculate the minimum pilot weight, in order to get the CG into the aft end of it's range, and maximum pilot and passenger weight to keep the CG from running out the forward end of the range. Consider the Blanik L-13 sailplane. It's empty CG is at 78% of chord. Put a 150 lb pilot into the front seat and the loaded CG comes into the aft end of the range.
Rick Girard

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM, <nationcap(at)comcast.net (nationcap(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote] If I add me to the weight then I'm not calculating the empty weight and the CG be off, even though it's not within range now which is the problem. I haven't measured the arm for the seats so I don't know how much off it will be. But just looking at it it looks like the seats are pretty close to the datum point.

I tried to using regular scales but they were very inaccurate ,  I lastly used two digital bathroom scales with a 2x6 but I could only get one of the scales to register.
So for now the weight seems heavy with an aft out of range CG.  As for adding the pilot to the basic equation, I'll crunch some numbers and see if that might  make a difference.

Brad

--

Mark_IIIX_W_and_B.xlsx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Mark_IIIX_W_and_B.xlsx
 Filesize:  12.75 KB
 Downloaded:  422 Time(s)

yellowbird1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

I guess I didn't understand the process. I crunched some numbers using my weight as the pilot weight and indeed it brought the CG within range. As I didn't have the correct ARM I'll be heading out to the hanger to get the real measurements and go from there.

Thanks for the visual aid spread sheet.

I measured the bottom of the wing including the flap to be 66", w/o flap, 50". I looked at the builder's notes and his wing measurements are the same. Looking back at my post yes I did mix up the inches and %. (Probably didn't help doing the typing on my iPhone. )
My Xtra has a Rotax 912 80 hp, BRS VLS ( it weights 18.6 lbs), tundra tires, basic instruments, nothing out of the ordinary, as far as I can tell from my limited experience with Xtras, so I agree that the weight is high. The question is why, we're the scales crappy, was I maxing out the scales, did I weigh it incorrectly, or does it really weigh that much.
When I weighed it I raised the tail so that the wing trailing edge was 7.5 inches lower than he leading edge. I lowered the wheels onto the scales vs. rolling onto them. I repeated the process for each wheel at least 4 times until I got a couple consistent weights on each wheel.

It seems that I need to go and remeasure and get an accurate higher capacity set of scales.

Sent from my iPad

Brad

On Sep 2, 2013, at 15:00, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[quote] Dang it, hit return before I was ready. Attached is the spread sheet for an Xtra. Put 0 into pilot weight in the last section and you'll see the CG is too far aft. You must figure in the pilot weight at some minimum to get the CG into range.

Rick

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com> wrote:
> Brad, Okay, I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you worried that the empty CG is too far aft? If that's the case you don't understand the process.
> You HAVE to know the arm to the pilot seat. With that info you can then calculate the minimum pilot weight, in order to get the CG into the aft end of it's range, and maximum pilot and passenger weight to keep the CG from running out the forward end of the range.
> Consider the Blanik L-13 sailplane. It's empty CG is at 78% of chord. Put a 150 lb pilot into the front seat and the loaded CG comes into the aft end of the range.
>
> Rick Girard
>
>
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM, <nationcap(at)comcast.net> wrote:
>> If I add me to the weight then I'm not calculating the empty weight and the CG be off, even though it's not within range now which is the problem. I haven't measured the arm for the seats so I don't know how much off it will be. But just looking at it it looks like the seats are pretty close to the datum point.
>>
>> I tried to using regular scales but they were very inaccurate , I lastly used two digital bathroom scales with a 2x6 but I could only get one of the scales to register.
>> At first I rolled onto the scales but I wasn't confident in the reading that I started over and lowered the wheels onto the scales. But even then I was getting inconsistent readings.
>> So for now the weight seems heavy with an aft out of range CG. As for adding the pilot to the basic equation, I'll crunch some numbers and see if that might make a difference.
>>
>> Thanks shine for all the input.
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App so there may be some typos.
>>
>> --

rickofudall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

Brad, When I was working on 125KP Travis told me that the average "X" came in at an empty weight of 650 lb. As I recall 125KP was 655 lb. when I put it on a weight reduction plan and I was able to get it down to 615. That was a 582 powered airplane. Add 35 to 40 lb. for the 912 and you're back up in the 660 lb weight range. The wing chord includes the flaps, i.e. it is 66".
Rick

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Brad Nation <nationcap(at)comcast.net (nationcap(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote]I guess I didn't understand the process. I crunched some numbers using my weight as the pilot weight and indeed it brought the CG within range. As I didn't have the correct ARM I'll be heading out to the hanger to get the real measurements and go from there.

I measured the bottom of the wing including the flap to be 66", w/o flap, 50". I looked at the builder's notes and his wing measurements are the same. Looking back at my post yes I did mix up the inches and %. (Probably didn't help doing the typing on my iPhone. )
My Xtra has a Rotax 912 80 hp, BRS VLS ( it weights 18.6 lbs), tundra tires, basic instruments, nothing out of the ordinary, as far as I can tell from my limited experience with Xtras, so I agree that the weight is high. The question is why, we're the scales crappy, was I maxing out the scales, did I weigh it incorrectly, or does it really weigh that much.
When I weighed it I raised the tail so that the wing trailing edge was 7.5 inches lower than he leading edge. I lowered the wheels onto the scales vs. rolling onto them. I repeated the process for each wheel at least 4 times until I got a couple consistent weights on each wheel.

It seems that I need to go and remeasure and get an accurate higher capacity set of scales.
Sent from my iPad

Brad
On Sep 2, 2013, at 15:00, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]Dang it, hit return before I was ready. Attached is the spread sheet for an Xtra. Put 0 into pilot weight in the last section and you'll see the CG is too far aft. You must figure in the pilot weight at some minimum to get the CG into range.

Rick

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Brad, Okay, I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you worried that the empty CG is too far aft? If that's the case you don't understand the process.  You HAVE to know the arm to the pilot seat. With that info you can then calculate the minimum pilot weight, in order to get the CG into the aft end of it's range, and maximum pilot and passenger weight to keep the CG from running out the forward end of the range. Consider the Blanik L-13 sailplane. It's empty CG is at 78% of chord. Put a 150 lb pilot into the front seat and the loaded CG comes into the aft end of the range.
Rick Girard

Brad

--

yellowbird1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

Rick,
That weight of 660 lb seems about what it should be, I'm thinking/hoping that the 751 lb that it weighted out on the last measuring is incorrect as I was getting such a large range of weights that I think the scales I was using were not accurate. At 750 lb doesn't leave me much caring capacity for passengers, fuel, or baggage. So I'm trying to acquire a set of military rolling stock scales or some certified scales and re-weigh it.

Im not ignoring all the help from the the Kolb forum, I'm just in a holding pattern until I get some better scales and get a more accurate weight, then I'll update the forum.

Thanks for all the input from everyone who weighed in with help. (pun intended)

Sent from my iPad

Brad

On Sep 9, 2013, at 10:32, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[quote] Brad, When I was working on 125KP Travis told me that the average "X" came in at an empty weight of 650 lb. As I recall 125KP was 655 lb. when I put it on a weight reduction plan and I was able to get it down to 615. That was a 582 powered airplane. Add 35 to 40 lb. for the 912 and you're back up in the 660 lb weight range.
The wing chord includes the flaps, i.e. it is 66".

Rick

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Brad Nation <nationcap(at)comcast.net> wrote:
> I guess I didn't understand the process. I crunched some numbers using my weight as the pilot weight and indeed it brought the CG within range. As I didn't have the correct ARM I'll be heading out to the hanger to get the real measurements and go from there.
>
> Thanks for the visual aid spread sheet.
>
> I measured the bottom of the wing including the flap to be 66", w/o flap, 50". I looked at the builder's notes and his wing measurements are the same. Looking back at my post yes I did mix up the inches and %. (Probably didn't help doing the typing on my iPhone. )
> My Xtra has a Rotax 912 80 hp, BRS VLS ( it weights 18.6 lbs), tundra tires, basic instruments, nothing out of the ordinary, as far as I can tell from my limited experience with Xtras, so I agree that the weight is high. The question is why, we're the scales crappy, was I maxing out the scales, did I weigh it incorrectly, or does it really weigh that much.
> When I weighed it I raised the tail so that the wing trailing edge was 7.5 inches lower than he leading edge. I lowered the wheels onto the scales vs. rolling onto them. I repeated the process for each wheel at least 4 times until I got a couple consistent weights on each wheel.
>
> It seems that I need to go and remeasure and get an accurate higher capacity set of scales.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> Brad
>
> On Sep 2, 2013, at 15:00, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dang it, hit return before I was ready. Attached is the spread sheet for an Xtra. Put 0 into pilot weight in the last section and you'll see the CG is too far aft. You must figure in the pilot weight at some minimum to get the CG into range.
>>
>> Rick
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Brad, Okay, I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you worried that the empty CG is too far aft? If that's the case you don't understand the process.
>>> You HAVE to know the arm to the pilot seat. With that info you can then calculate the minimum pilot weight, in order to get the CG into the aft end of it's range, and maximum pilot and passenger weight to keep the CG from running out the forward end of the range.
>>> Consider the Blanik L-13 sailplane. It's empty CG is at 78% of chord. Put a 150 lb pilot into the front seat and the loaded CG comes into the aft end of the range.
>>>
>>> Rick Girard
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM, <nationcap(at)comcast.net> wrote:
>>>> If I add me to the weight then I'm not calculating the empty weight and the CG be off, even though it's not within range now which is the problem. I haven't measured the arm for the seats so I don't know how much off it will be. But just looking at it it looks like the seats are pretty close to the datum point.
>>>>
>>>> I tried to using regular scales but they were very inaccurate , I lastly used two digital bathroom scales with a 2x6 but I could only get one of the scales to register.
>>>> At first I rolled onto the scales but I wasn't confident in the reading that I started over and lowered the wheels onto the scales. But even then I was getting inconsistent readings.
>>>> So for now the weight seems heavy with an aft out of range CG. As for adding the pilot to the basic equation, I'll crunch some numbers and see if that might make a difference.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks shine for all the input.
>>>>
>>>> Brad
>>>>
>>>> Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App so there may be some typos.
>>>>
>>>> --

rickofudall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

Brad, Do you have a local EAA Chapter? Ask around at the airport, someone has to have a set of scales. I bought a set of go kart racing scales that can handle up to 500 lb. each.

Rick

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Brad Nation <nationcap(at)comcast.net (nationcap(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote]Rick,
That weight of 660 lb seems about what it should be,  I'm thinking/hoping that the 751 lb that it weighted out on the last measuring is incorrect as I was getting such a large range of weights that I think the scales I was using were not accurate. At 750 lb doesn't leave me much caring capacity for passengers, fuel, or baggage. So I'm trying to acquire a set of military rolling stock scales or some certified scales and re-weigh it.

Im not ignoring all the help from the the Kolb forum, I'm just in a holding pattern until I get some better scales and get a more accurate weight, then I'll update the forum.

Sent from my iPad

Brad

On Sep 9, 2013, at 10:32, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]Brad, When I was working on 125KP Travis told me that the average "X" came in at an empty weight of 650 lb. As I recall 125KP was 655 lb. when I put it on a weight reduction plan and I was able to get it down to 615. That was a 582 powered airplane. Add 35 to 40 lb. for the 912 and you're back up in the 660 lb weight range. The wing chord includes the flaps, i.e. it is 66".
Rick

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Brad Nation <nationcap(at)comcast.net (nationcap(at)comcast.net)> wrote:

[quote] I guess I didn't understand the process. I crunched some numbers using my weight as the pilot weight and indeed it brought the CG within range. As I didn't have the correct ARM I'll be heading out to the hanger to get the real measurements and go from there.

Sent from my iPad

Brad
On Sep 2, 2013, at 15:00, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]Dang it, hit return before I was ready. Attached is the spread sheet for an Xtra. Put 0 into pilot weight in the last section and you'll see the CG is too far aft. You must figure in the pilot weight at some minimum to get the CG into range.

Rick

Rick Girard

Brad

--

neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Kolb Xtra weight. & balance Reply with quote

Hey guys try this. I used three cheep bathroom scales to weigh my plane but first I calibrated them. I used a high quality balance beam scale to weigh me. It seems like I even put so weight on the scale to increase my weight a bit. Then I got on two of the scales that I would use as the main gear scales and made sure they showed the same weight. You need to step on and off the scales a few times to make sure that it will return to the calibrated weight each time. For the tail wheel I used a known weight closer to the estimated tail weight. With the plane in the hanger with the doors closed I put the plane on the scales and lifted the tail on boxes to get it at the correct height for the required weighing position and slid the tail wheel scale in place. Cheep and fairly accurate. I used the instructions that came with the kit for balance of the pilot and passenger weight to figure minimum and maximum weight to stay in the CG limits.

My empty weight is now 598LBS. I was real careful to limit washers, no more than three threads showing on any bolt, anything not necessary got cut off and drilling hundreds of holes in non structural parts. 

Rick Neilsen
1st Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Brad, Do you have a local EAA Chapter? Ask around at the airport, someone has to have a set of scales. I bought a set of go kart racing scales that can handle up to 500 lb. each.

Rick

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Brad Nation <nationcap(at)comcast.net (nationcap(at)comcast.net)> wrote:

[quote]Rick,
That weight of 660 lb seems about what it should be,  I'm thinking/hoping that the 751 lb that it weighted out on the last measuring is incorrect as I was getting such a large range of weights that I think the scales I was using were not accurate. At 750 lb doesn't leave me much caring capacity for passengers, fuel, or baggage. So I'm trying to acquire a set of military rolling stock scales or some certified scales and re-weigh it.

Sent from my iPad

Brad

On Sep 9, 2013, at 10:32, Richard Girard <aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com (aslsa.rng(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]Brad, When I was working on 125KP Travis told me that the average "X" came in at an empty weight of 650 lb. As I recall 125KP was 655 lb. when I put it on a weight reduction plan and I was able to get it down to 615. That was a 582 powered airplane. Add 35 to 40 lb. for the 912 and you're back up in the 660 lb weight range. The wing chord includes the flaps, i.e. it is 66".
Rick

[quote] I guess I didn't understand the process. I crunched some numbers using my weight as the pilot weight and indeed it brought the CG within range. As I didn't have the correct ARM I'll be heading out to the hanger to get the real measurements and go from there.

Sent from my iPad

Brad

Rick

Rick Girard

Brad

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: