Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

W17, KLHZ or other?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: W17, KLHZ or other? Reply with quote

I'm flying the -10 up to the Wake Forest area next Thursday, Oct 3, and am going to be camping about half way between W17 and KLHZ for 2-3 nights. Any recommendations for the best FBO for keeping a plane for 3 nights and decent fuel prices and service. The locals always know where is best. A shade hangar would be great if available. I have a friend picking me up, so either place works for that. Any suggestion to either of these airports or another local field would be much appreciated.

Jesse

Do not archive

Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: W17, KLHZ or other? Reply with quote

I'm close by at 8NC8 but not sure I can help. I'm so close I haven't
flown into either place in years.

I'd strongly suggest KLHZ over W17 just based on long ago experience.
KLHZ is a real nice facility - no extras but it's all there. I'm
actually surprised to hear W17 is in full operation - seemed like there
was helicopter training/ops going on there and not much else. Runway
has a significant dip as I recall and needed resurfacing.

8NC8 is a little far away given your mission. Not so smooth grass with
100LL and Jet A (!!). I could probably find you a shade hangar. I can
sell you fuel. It was 5.75 in Aug, don't know what September and
October are or will be. But you are more than welcome, just let me
know. It would be great seeing you.

Bill "sharing the fact that Wake Forest University is not in or near the
town of Wake Forest" Watson

PS: A bit of little know local knowledge about KRDU - Though not the
best fuel stop for most of us because of large airport prices and such,
it is centrally located for visitors to Raleigh/Durham/RTP with 2 full
service FBOs and all. It's where I'd fly into if I didn't live here.
However, it is also a nice little breakfast or lunch stop. There is a
"General Aviation Terminal" in the middle of the GA ramp between the 2
FBOs. It has a nice snack bar on the 2nd floor with a glassed in
balcony overlooking the GA ramp and a runway. Just park as directed in
front of one of the FBOs (I go to TAC Air) and tell them you are going
to the snack bar. They'll show you the way. I've never been charged
for parking. It's one of the best unknown $100 'burger, airplane
watching locations around.

On 9/24/2013 7:11 PM, Jesse Saint wrote:
Quote:

I'm flying the -10 up to the Wake Forest area next Thursday, Oct 3, and am going to be camping about half way between W17 and KLHZ for 2-3 nights. Any recommendations for the best FBO for keeping a plane for 3 nights and decent fuel prices and service. The locals always know where is best. A shade hangar would be great if available. I have a friend picking me up, so either place works for that. Any suggestion to either of these airports or another local field would be much appreciated.

Jesse

Do not archive

Sent from my iPad
-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: W17, KLHZ or other? Reply with quote

Bill,

Thanks for the information. I agree that 8NC8 is probably too far away, so I think KLHZ will be the best, unless my ride prefers KRDU. Thanks for the local knowledge!

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com
C: 352-427-0285
F: 815-377-3694

On Sep 25, 2013, at 12:21 PM, Bill Watson <Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com> wrote:

Quote:

I'm close by at 8NC8 but not sure I can help. I'm so close I haven't flown into either place in years.

I'd strongly suggest KLHZ over W17 just based on long ago experience. KLHZ is a real nice facility - no extras but it's all there. I'm actually surprised to hear W17 is in full operation - seemed like there was helicopter training/ops going on there and not much else. Runway has a significant dip as I recall and needed resurfacing.

8NC8 is a little far away given your mission. Not so smooth grass with 100LL and Jet A (!!). I could probably find you a shade hangar. I can sell you fuel. It was 5.75 in Aug, don't know what September and October are or will be. But you are more than welcome, just let me know. It would be great seeing you.

Bill "sharing the fact that Wake Forest University is not in or near the town of Wake Forest" Watson

PS: A bit of little know local knowledge about KRDU - Though not the best fuel stop for most of us because of large airport prices and such, it is centrally located for visitors to Raleigh/Durham/RTP with 2 full service FBOs and all. It's where I'd fly into if I didn't live here. However, it is also a nice little breakfast or lunch stop. There is a "General Aviation Terminal" in the middle of the GA ramp between the 2 FBOs. It has a nice snack bar on the 2nd floor with a glassed in balcony overlooking the GA ramp and a runway. Just park as directed in front of one of the FBOs (I go to TAC Air) and tell them you are going to the snack bar. They'll show you the way. I've never been charged for parking. It's one of the best unknown $100 'burger, airplane watching locations around.

On 9/24/2013 7:11 PM, Jesse Saint wrote:
>
>
> I'm flying the -10 up to the Wake Forest area next Thursday, Oct 3, and am going to be camping about half way between W17 and KLHZ for 2-3 nights. Any recommendations for the best FBO for keeping a plane for 3 nights and decent fuel prices and service. The locals always know where is best. A shade hangar would be great if available. I have a friend picking me up, so either place works for that. Any suggestion to either of these airports or another local field would be much appreciated.
>
> Jesse
>
> Do not archive
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
>
>

toaster73(at)embarqmail.c

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: W17, KLHZ or other? Reply with quote

I concur, and check GWW for fuel next week they talked about reducing $.20
from the current $5.48 at some point next week.
-Chris Lucas
N919AR
EWN

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: