Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ULPowered Europa cleared for flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
groups(at)thegoddards.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Today BWUP the first UL260iS powered Europa was cleared for flight testing by the LAA. Hopefully if the weather is favourable BWUP should take to the air on Sunday. Thanks goes to the following for all their help, support and guidance:
Mark Jones, Galaxy UL engines for the UL260iS
Ian Rickard, for all those cad drawings and his support getting the project going
ULPower, for the engine mount using Ian's drawings
Neville Eyre, for all his help with the cowls
Kevin Dilks for Woodcomp propellor
Mark Burton for propellor controller
Mike Rudd, LAA inspector who helped get the project going
Westgate composites, who created a set of cowls from my hybrid of classic and Eyre cowls
LAA, for allowing the project
Phil Hall, inspector and test pilot to be

Vince Goddard
G-BWUP
Europa UL260iS Swiss tailwheel

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Congrats! Pictures please! Smile

Cheers,
Pete

Quote:
On Sep 30, 2013, at 6:02 PM, Groups <groups(at)thegoddards.com> wrote:

Today BWUP the first UL260iS powered Europa was cleared for flight testing by the LAA. Hopefully if the weather is favourable BWUP should take to the air on Sunday. Thanks goes to the following for all their help, support and guidance:
Mark Jones, Galaxy UL engines for the UL260iS
Ian Rickard, for all those cad drawings and his support getting the project going
ULPower, for the engine mount using Ian's drawings
Neville Eyre, for all his help with the cowls
Kevin Dilks for Woodcomp propellor
Mark Burton for propellor controller
Mike Rudd, LAA inspector who helped get the project going
Westgate composites, who created a set of cowls from my hybrid of classic and Eyre cowls
LAA, for allowing the project
Phil Hall, inspector and test pilot to be

Vince Goddard
G-BWUP

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Groups(at)thegoddards.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Sent from my phone

Quote:
On 1 Oct 2013, at 00:11, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

Congrats! Pictures please! Smile

Cheers,
Pete

> On Sep 30, 2013, at 6:02 PM, Groups <groups(at)thegoddards.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Today BWUP the first UL260iS powered Europa was cleared for flight testing by the LAA. Hopefully if the weather is favourable BWUP should take to the air on Sunday. Thanks goes to the following for all their help, support and guidance:
> Mark Jones, Galaxy UL engines for the UL260iS
> Ian Rickard, for all those cad drawings and his support getting the project going
> ULPower, for the engine mount using Ian's drawings
> Neville Eyre, for all his help with the cowls
> Kevin Dilks for Woodcomp propellor
> Mark Burton for propellor controller
> Mike Rudd, LAA inspector who helped get the project going
> Westgate composites, who created a set of cowls from my hybrid of classic and Eyre cowls
> LAA, for allowing the project
> Phil Hall, inspector and test pilot to be
>
>
>
> Vince Goddard
> G-BWUP
> Europa UL260iS Swiss tailwheel
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

====================================

Quote:

<pre><b><font size=2 color="#000000" face="courier new,courier">

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.09 KB
 Viewed:  6728 Time(s)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.01 KB
 Viewed:  6728 Time(s)

image.jpeg

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

On Oct 1, 2013, at 2:39 AM, Groups wrote:

Quote:
<image.jpeg>

<image.jpeg>
Sent from my phone

> On 1 Oct 2013, at 00:11, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Congrats! Pictures please! Smile

Wow...what a sweet, straightforward, and seemingly SIMPLE engine installation...Fred

frans(at)privatepilots.nl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

On 10/01/2013 05:15 PM, Fred Klein wrote:

Quote:
Wow...what a sweet, straightforward, and seemingly SIMPLE engine installation...Fred

Except that it is upside down. Luckily I have a laptop and I can easily
turn the laptop upside down. With my iPad or cell phone I tried it too,
but it doesn't help as it turns the picture upside down again by itself.
The only solution then is to stand on my head to look at the picture but
I guess I'm becoming too old for this.

Frans

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Try this one

Vince
G-BWUP

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 1 Oct 2013, at 17:15, Frans Veldman <frans(at)privatepilots.nl> wrote:

> On 10/01/2013 05:15 PM, Fred Klein wrote:
>
> Wow...what a sweet, straightforward, and seemingly SIMPLE engine installation...Fred

Except that it is upside down. Luckily I have a laptop and I can easily
turn the laptop upside down. With my iPad or cell phone I tried it too,
but it doesn't help as it turns the picture upside down again by itself.
The only solution then is to stand on my head to look at the picture but
I guess I'm becoming too old for this.

Frans

Quote:

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  556 KB
 Viewed:  6711 Time(s)

image.jpeg

europajimkelly(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Hi Vince,                 I've just bought G-BWEG she's a taildragger the same as your's.  I haven't flown her yet although I've flown in her do you have any tips on ground handling ?

Keep in touch Vince.
Best wishes
Jim

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Groups <groups(at)thegoddards.com (groups(at)thegoddards.com)> wrote:
[quote]Try this one

Vince
G-BWUP

Sent from my iPad

> On 1 Oct 2013, at 17:15, Frans Veldman <frans(at)privatepilots.nl (frans(at)privatepilots.nl)> wrote:
>
> --> Europa-List message posted by: Frans Veldman <frans(at)privatepilots.nl (frans(at)privatepilots.nl)>
>
>> On 10/01/2013 05:15 PM, Fred Klein wrote:
>>
>> Wow...what a sweet, straightforward, and seemingly SIMPLE engine installation...Fred
>
> Except that it is upside down. Luckily I have a laptop and I can easily
> turn the laptop upside down. With my iPad or cell phone I tried it too,
> but it doesn't help as it turns the picture upside down again by itself.
> The only solution then is to stand on my head to look at the picture but
> I guess I'm becoming too old for this.
>
> Frans
>
>
===========
===========
===========
===========
>
>
>

<pre><b><font size=2 color"#000000" face="courier new,courier">

===========
igator?Europa-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List</a>
===========
target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com</a>
===========
le, List Admin.
tribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution</a>
===========

</b></font></pre></body></html>
[b]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Hello Jim,

I have not flown an Europa yet so can not give you any tips. I do have over a hundred hours on Auster, Cub and Thruster tailwheel and the ground handling does not seem too difficult. The test pilot Phil Hall did comment that BWUP handled very nicely on the ground and the proof will be now on Saturday when she flies for the first time in over 5 years.

Weight wise BWUP has also gone on a huge diet losing nearly 70 pounds and not comes in at 870 pounds 59.77 inches. Not sure how this compares to other europa's?

Vince

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 1 Oct 2013, at 20:29, James Kelly <europajimkelly(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Vince,
I've just bought G-BWEG she's a taildragger the same as your's. I haven't flown her yet although I've flown in her do you have any tips on ground handling ?

Keep in touch Vince.
Best wishes
Jim

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Vince,

Very good looking aircraft. The engine installation looks quite simple and professional.

Can't wait to hear how she flies!

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com

On Oct 1, 2013, at 4:39 AM, Groups <groups(at)thegoddards.com> wrote:

<image.jpeg>

<image.jpeg>
Sent from my phone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Hello Fred,

Yes a simple air cooled fuel injected 107 bhp engine which takes an hour or so to remove and about the same to refit. Originally I had the engine mounted on the Europa using a 912 compatible mount, this was a little clunky so ULPower produced a dedicated mount which took only half a day to swap over.

Ta

Vince

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 1 Oct 2013, at 16:15, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> wrote:

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Vince...what information can you share regarding your engine's installed weight?...Fred

On Oct 1, 2013, at 1:44 PM, Groups wrote:

Quote:
Yes a simple air cooled fuel injected 107 bhp engine which takes an hour or so to remove and about the same to refit. Originally I had the engine mounted on the Europa using a 912 compatible mount, this was a little clunky so ULPower produced a dedicated mount which took only half a day to swap over.

Ta

Vince

Sent from my iPad

> On 1 Oct 2013, at 16:15, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com> wrote:
>
> Wow...what a sweet, straightforward, and seemingly SIMPLE engine installation...Fred

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Fred,
The UL260iS comes in at an installed weight of approx 73kg (including all accessories, oil and exhaust). I have the 2x pumps, 2x course filters and 2x fine filters plus the ECU mounted in the mono wheel tunnel, the 2 x ignition, regulator and Oil/Air Separator mounted on the fire wall so leaves about 65kg of engine and 12kg of Woodcomp SR 3000/3J hung on the engine mount. Not sure how this compares with a rotax but looking at the rotax specs and adding the liquids etc I believe the ULPower is lighter.
I did have to hang the Odyssey 680 battery of the pax footwell to get the best CofG.
ta
Vince
[quote] --

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Vince, please PM me at jdmilbank(at)hotmail.com. You might recall that I 'phoned you many moons ago on the advice of Ian Rickard, but I've lost your 'phone number.

At the time I told you that I spent many hours and days working on and inside the fuselage of your aircraft, on behalf of the previous owner. He in his turn wasn't aware of several matters which he inherited from someone else; now deceased I believe.

I built my own Europa between 1994 and 1997 and it's still going strong. Luckily I'm not so large that I can't crawl inside the rear fuselage, so I'm intimately acquainted with your machine.

It looks marvellous now and I'm very pleased that I never reached the stage of doing it's permit renewal test flight while the Subaru engine was still installed. I even drove from Aberdeenshire to Doncaster to fetch a donor Subaru on behalf of the owner, before he decided to sell it. You've got a bargain, with that undercarriage which can only be an improvement on my old monowheel. Differential brakes are the answer!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

After some environmental issues on Saturday, BWUP was moved today to Lydeway field (thanks goes to Nigel Charles & LAA for giving permission) and took to the air for the first time in 7 years. Reborn with a ULPower UL260iS engine and Woodcomp variable pitch propellor BWUP had 2 flights totalling 45 minutes. Both flights saw temperatures and pressures within normal limits with no undue vibrations or problems arising. Phil the test pilot commented on how smooth the engine was and removal of the cowls after each flight revealed no issues either. More flights hopefully this week if weather and work commitments allow.
Vince Goddard
G-BWUP

Quote:
> Today BWUP the first UL260iS powered Europa was cleared for flight testing by the LAA. Hopefully if the weather is favourable BWUP should take to the air on Sunday. Thanks goes to the following for all their help, support and guidance:
> Mark Jones, Galaxy UL engines for the UL260iS
> Ian Rickard, for all those cad drawings and his support getting the project going
> ULPower, for the engine mount using Ian's drawings
> Neville Eyre, for all his help with the cowls
> Kevin Dilks for Woodcomp propellor
> Mark Burton for propellor controller
> Mike Rudd, LAA inspector who helped get the project going
> Westgate composites, who created a set of cowls from my hybrid of classic and Eyre cowls
> LAA, for allowing the project
> Phil Hall, inspector and test pilot to be
>
>
>
> Vince Goddard
> G-BWUP
> Europa UL260iS Swiss tailwheel

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  568 KB
 Viewed:  6603 Time(s)

image.jpeg

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Vince,

Congratulations to all the good folks involved in the effort. Looks like you have a winner there.

Please keep us posted on the continued testing. We'd like to hear about t/o distance, rate of climb, cruise speeds and fuel flow.

I'd also like to hear how the Swiss tail wheel configuration works out for ground/takeoff/landing handling.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger(at)mac.com

On Oct 7, 2013, at 4:46 PM, Groups <groups(at)thegoddards.com> wrote:

After some environmental issues on Saturday, BWUP was moved today to Lydeway field (thanks goes to Nigel Charles & LAA for giving permission) and took to the air for the first time in 7 years. Reborn with a ULPower UL260iS engine and Woodcomp variable pitch propellor BWUP had 2 flights totalling 45 minutes. Both flights saw temperatures and pressures within normal limits with no undue vibrations or problems arising. Phil the test pilot commented on how smooth the engine was and removal of the cowls after each flight revealed no issues either. More flights hopefully this week if weather and work commitments allow.
<image.jpeg>
Vince Goddard
G-BWUP

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: ULPowered Europa cleared for flight Reply with quote

Well done ...now the fun ...! Regards Bob Harrison G-PTAG Kit 337 914 .

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: