Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Landing on one wheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Landing on one wheel Reply with quote

Hello guys,
My son, who has not been flying our Kitfox 3 for two years, need an instructor check-up to keep his license. I asked the instructor what my son needed to train for before the check-up.

He answered: "Climbing 500 ft in 360 degrees turn, then the opposite, then landing on 3 points, 2 points and one wheel."

"One wheel?" Yes, it is necessary if landing in crosswind, doing a side slip.

Okay, I do a lot of side slips, to get the right speed on final since I never use my flaperons. But, touching the ground side slipping and on one wheel is ... awkward when the wind is not from the side!

But he insists that we do that, as a training. Okay, I tried a couple of times but when landing with a head wind, side slipping on one wheel, there is a lateral pull on the wheel and I don't like it!

I don't like it because I still have the old fashion gear made of steel pipes and I am afraid I might bend something. Of course, I could try to do it when there is a real side wind so that I actually compensate the wind drift with the side displacement, which is the intention. But where I live, the prevailing winds are very much in the direction of the runway and I just can't match the very seldom crosswind with my son's training.

My question then is: Has any of you had problems with the original gear, landing on one wheel? I know of a Kitfox that has hit a taxiway asphalt edge with his right hand wheel and the tube under the seat, the one the bungee is turned around, was bended. I don't want to get the same! Will I run a risk of it?

Cheers,
Michel

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Landing on one wheel Reply with quote

Michel, sounds like you have a great instructor!

Here is one wheel landing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j7aBw90n9U at
just over 1 min into this video.

Quote:
>> I don't like it because I still have the old fashion gear made of steel
>> pipes and I am afraid I might bend something<<<

Absolute nonsense........... that old fashion gear is 4140 CrMo - Very
strong gear -
When I read of these mishaps and the gear gets blamed -it might be the pilot
thats should be for landing so hard they bend the gear.
I have never bent one and I have had some very rough landing in very rough
terrain. Mind you I do not land sideways or drop it in 30 feet from the
ground.
Some of thes damages are hard to fathom...........

Keep up the good work and get your son flying.........

Cheers

Dave
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Most viewed Kitfox on youtube
Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
mikelaundy(at)yahoo.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Landing on one wheel Reply with quote

Michael,

I am with you on this one, when I learned to fly 50 years ago on Chipmunks as a trainee RAF pilot, we were taught the"crab" technique for landing in a cross winds. Later as an RAF flying instructor the "crab" crosswind landing technique was the one we taught our students on the Jet Provost. I have used that technique ever since when flying straight wing aircraft.  The only time I used side slipping for crosswind landings was when flying swept wing airliners (Boeing 767), as with them "kicking "off drift using a "crab" tchnique can give an unacceptable rate of roll away from the crosswind, and heavy aircraft are sluggish to react to control inputs at low speed due to their high inertia. They do of course have multi wheel bogies to land on!

In my opinion there are hazards with the Kitfox to land side slipping on one wheel. Its too easy to get a high rate of descent in the slide slip and I find on my KF3 I run out of up elevator at slow speed, the two combined could easily give a hard landing, and on one wheel that could break something.

The strip I use is frequently out of wind and I sometimes have to land with crosswinds up to 15 mph. In strong crosswinds I make my approach at 60mph reducing to around 50mph in the flare and as I run out of up elevator and sense the aircraft starting to sink I give a qick burst of power to add a bit of slipstream effect over the rudder and elevators and kick the drift off with rudder, it works well for me!

Mike
Kitfox 3 Rotax 582
Cornwall UK

[quote]
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Thursday, 3 October 2013, 2:15
Subject: Landing on one wheel

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Michel" <michel(at)online.no (michel(at)online.no)>

Hello guys,
My son, who has not been flying our Kitfox 3 for two years, need an instructor check-up to keep his license. I asked the instructor what my son needed to train for before the check-up.

He answered: "Climbing 500 ft in 360 degrees turn, then the opposite, then landing on 3 points, 2 points and one wheel."

Okay, I do a lot of side slips, to get the right speed on final since I never use my flaperons. But, touching the ground side slipping and on one wheel is ... awkward when the wind is not from the side!

But he insists that we do that, as a training. Okay, I tried a couple of times but when landing with a head wind, side slipping on one wheel, there is a lateral pull on the wheel and I don't like it!

I don't like it because I still have the old fashion gear made of steel pipes and I am afraid I might bend something. Of course, I could try to do it when there is a real side wind so that I actually compensate the wind drift with the side displacement, which is the intention. But where I live, the prevailing winds are very much in the direction of the runway and I just can't match the very seldom crosswind with my son's training.

My question then is: Has any of you had problems with the original gear, landing on one wheel? I know of a Kitfox that has hit a taxiway asphalt edge with his right hand wheel and the tube under the seat, the one the bungee is turned around, was bended. I don't want to get the same! Will I run a risk of it?

Cheers,
Michel

--------
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=409750#409750http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

[b]

jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Landing on one wheel Reply with quote

Michel:
I had a Kitfox II. I think the model III ldg gear is stronger. It was typical to have x-wind at my homebase. I used to made one wheel landings very often. No problem at all. As a matter of fact, I would not do the crab and kick the rudder technique.
Saludos!
José

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 3, 2013, at 12:39 PM, Michael Laundy <mikelaundy(at)yahoo.co.uk (mikelaundy(at)yahoo.co.uk)> wrote:
[quote]Michael,

I am with you on this one, when I learned to fly 50 years ago on Chipmunks as a trainee RAF pilot, we were taught the"crab" technique for landing in a cross winds. Later as an RAF flying instructor the "crab" crosswind landing technique was the one we taught our students on the Jet Provost. I have used that technique ever since when flying straight wing aircraft. The only time I used side slipping for crosswind landings was when flying swept wing airliners (Boeing 767), as with them "kicking "off drift using a "crab" tchnique can give an unacceptable rate of roll away from the crosswind, and heavy aircraft are sluggish to react to control inputs at low speed due to their high inertia. They do of course have multi wheel bogies to land on!

In my opinion there are hazards with the Kitfox to land side slipping on one wheel. Its too easy to get a high rate of descent in the slide slip and I find on my KF3 I run out of up elevator at slow speed, the two combined could easily give a hard landing, and on one wheel that could break something.

The strip I use is frequently out of wind and I sometimes have to land with crosswinds up to 15 mph.  In strong crosswinds I make my approach at 60mph reducing to around 50mph in the flare and as I run out of up elevator and sense the aircraft starting to sink I give a qick burst of power to add a bit of slipstream effect over the rudder and elevators and kick the drift off with rudder, it works well for me!

Mike
Kitfox 3 Rotax 582
Cornwall UK

Quote:

To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com (kitfox-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Thursday, 3 October 2013, 2:15

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Michel" <michel(at)online.no (michel(at)online.no)>

Hello guys,

Cheers,
Michel

--------
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=409750#409750http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
x-List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
//forums.matronics.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Michel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Landing on one wheel Reply with quote

Thank you Dave, Mike and Jose, for your answers. Dave, I have seen your videos many times before! Wink But you land on grass and you are a lucky guy! My Kitfox hates asphalt. Wink

Dave and Jose, you seem to think that the original Kitfox gear is strong enough to take that side pull of the side slip landing on one wheel. That is reassuring.

Mike, you are unfortunate to have so much crosswind in Cornwall. But I also suppose you land on grass. Fifteen knots crosswind on asphalt and I weather-vane like nothing! For me, 12 knots is my maximum crosswind landing on asphalt. If there is more than that, I land on the crossing taxiway, something my airfield's supervisor said I could as long as the other traffics are well informed of my intentions! Wink

Cheers,
Michel

kerrjohna(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Landing on one wheel Reply with quote

Landing is something that brings great satisfaction as the skill is developed.  The procedure of landing on a single wheel is different from "landing in a crab configuration". Land straight ahead with a slight wing low and slight rudder correction. A two wheel, one main and tail, is common with any crosswind component; keeping the direction of travel straight ahead. I believe it is called in our training a forward slip.

I hope this helps.

John Kerr

Sent: Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:15:13 AM

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Michel" <michel(at)online.no>

Hello guys,

Cheers,
Michel

--------
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200

http://forums.matronics.com/viewt= - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS======

[quote][b]

kerrjohna(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Landing on one wheel Reply with quote

Landing is something that brings great satisfaction as the skill is developed. The procedure is different from "landing in a crab configuration". Land straight ahead with a slight wing low and slight rudder correction. A two wheel, one main and tail, is common with any crosswind component; keeping the direction of travel straight ahead.

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "Michel" <michel(at)online.no>

Hello guys,

Cheers,
Michel

--------
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopi - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -<=====

[quote][b]

jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Landing on one wheel Reply with quote

Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man, landing is the first...

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 4, 2013, at 10:55 AM, kerrjohna(at)comcast.net (kerrjohna(at)comcast.net) wrote:
[quote]Landing is something that brings great satisfaction as the skill is developed. The procedure is different from "landing in a crab configuration". Land straight ahead with a slight wing low and slight rudder correction. A two wheel, one main and tail, is common with any crosswind component; keeping the direction of travel straight ahead.

From: "Michel" <michel(at)online.no (michel(at)online.no)>
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com (kitfox-list(at)matronics.com)

Hello guys,

Cheers,
Michel

--------
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopi - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -<=====

Quote:

x-List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
//forums.matronics.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Michel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Landing on one wheel Reply with quote

jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com wrote:

¡Estupendo, Jose! I think I'll have that written on my dashboard! Wink

Cheers,
Michel

mikelaundy(at)yahoo.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Landing on one wheel Reply with quote

If I can add to that a few thoughts from my airforce days:

"Its better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here"

The 3 useless things for a pilot-

Altitude above you
Runway behind you
Fuel in the tanker

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

Mike
(an old bald plot)

Kitfox 3, Rotax 582

Cornwall UK

[quote]
Sent: Saturday, 5 October 2013, 10:48
Subject: Re: Landing on one wheel

jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com wrote:
Quote:

¡Estupendo, Jose! I think I'll have that written on my dashboard! Wink

Cheers,
Michel

--------
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=409923#409923

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox--> http://forum - List Contribution Web Site -

[b]

lkc(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Landing on one wheel Reply with quote

The greatest thrill I've ever had is when my flight instructor took me up in my KF 5 to do what he called full power stalls. We went full power while loosing 100-200 ft of altitude... then pulled back on the stick... the stall came at just about vertical... which is when we went into a right spin, taking 3/4 of a rotation to correct.  I went home that day literally shaking with excitement.

--------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: