Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan Panel, maybe helpfull to those who are not builders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Carter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Fan Panel, maybe helpfull to those who are not builders Reply with quote

Hello All.
I am posting this article mainly for the Europa owner who have not built there aircraft and have limited tools,
Just a Ruler, Hammer, Hack Saw ,Drill and Files, and about 8 to 16 hours of time.
I also think it would be nice if others posted and shared little projects and ideas to do with the Europa.
I have a converted Classic to Tri gear the builder used lock nuts and bolts on the instrument sub panels, as i work totally on my own with little confidence i did not want to remove the whole instrument panel.
So cut a hole in the top of the instrument panel big enough to get my hand down, i practised first by cutting different size panels in a cardboard box , this end up with me choosing
a panel size of two 92 mm fans as i could then remove my instrument if needed through the hole, I ended up being able to remove the lock nuts and re make my main instrument main sub panel
removable, however my little fan panel hole is still very useful.
Two 92 mm Fans, Two Fan grills, Piece of alloy sheet, 6 Allen Bolts and lock nuts, Araldite, and maybe some little bits of Wood.
You can my parts in Photo,
Mark out and Cut the letter box out, with an opening to take the two fans.
Mark out and Make the Fan plate, mark out and cut out the shapes,
Drill the holes and fit the Fans and grills, to the plate.
Drop into letter box and drill fixing holes for Allen bolts, Allen bolts are used as you can remove with the windscreen in place.
To anchor these bolts, i used a strip of alloy drilling and filing the shape of each of the six nuts in the strip and bonding with Araldite.
As the fans are 25 mm in depth i had to raise the fan plate about 1/4” by Aralditing a strip of wood round the edge to raise the fan clear of an instrument.
Clean up and paint,
Does not look much but it took me about 8 hours so far.
Then.
Mask Windscreen , work carefully use letter box to mark, then cut hole, thought this was plastic, Stanley Knife did not work, ended up cutting with half an hack Saw Blade
small file, and sand paper,its actually made of Glass Fibre and a bit tougher than i thought.
Make the six fixing holes in Glass fibre, then slid Letter Box underside and Araldite up, hold in place with bull dog clips,
When set screw in Fan plate and wire up.
Serves two purposes, maintenance panel and demister,
I hope this is useful and of help to some none builders.
The other bit is my FFM Panel goes in where the gear lever was,
Cardboard denotes skin.
Regards.
Alan

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

CIMG1086.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  717.4 KB
 Viewed:  1730 Time(s)

CIMG1086.JPG

CIMG1089.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  715.29 KB
 Viewed:  1730 Time(s)

CIMG1089.JPG

CIMG1097.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  822.5 KB
 Viewed:  1659 Time(s)

CIMG1097.JPG

Last edited by Alan Carter on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:40 am; edited 4 times in total
Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Fan Panel, maybe helpfull to those who are not builders Reply with quote

Alan,

Impeccable work...makes me wonder what a whole plane under your hand would be like...

Envious that you're flying,

Fred

On Oct 13, 2013, at 2:17 PM, Alan Carter wrote:

Quote:

Hello All.
I am posting this article mainly for the Europa owner who have not built there aircraft and have limited tools,

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Alan Carter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fan Panel, maybe helpfull to those who are not builders Reply with quote

Hi All.
Thanks for your kind words Fred, but I am not doing much flying at the moment
" VERY IMPORTANT."
I have had a couple of e-mails asking about cutting the hole in the top of the instrument panel.
I would not like anybody to damage there aircraft so be careful, your hand will rub again the windscreen when cutting and even a small fragment on your skin will mark the perspecs of the screen.
So protect the area with a piece of cardboard , and use a good light to see what you are doing.
use a Tool of you choice, but a simple half hack saw blade will do, rub back and forth will slowly penetrate the surface, once through its cut easy.
Remember to cut with the saw teeth on the pulling stroke,
Remember to keep the blade very shallow angle, as you don't want to cut anything that you can not see on the other side of the panel.
Its easy to do ,just a bit slow,

If you wanted and felt confident you could loosen and move the whole instrument panel forward an inch or two, but I managed without doing this
OK.
Regards.
Alan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: