Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bent pitot/static tubes loading onto trailer...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizona Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Bent pitot/static tubes loading onto trailer... Reply with quote

Finally I'm ready to load my Firestar II on the trailer and go fly for only the 2nd time since I got it last spring. And this is only the 2nd time loading it onto my new trailer. What happens? It's getting dark, I'm tired. I remember the radio antenna under the nose but it sweeps back so even if the tip hits the trailer ramp a bit no big deal. But I forget about the pitot & static tubes, lift the rear of the plane a bit too high and crunch them on the trailer ramp Shocked They are bent back some at the fuse connection and also at the 90* bend points they are bent pointing up some. I'm about to try bending them back. Research on Google says heating them with a heat gun won't help soften them. I hand bent them some last night and the aluminum tubes seem pretty soft. I'm concerned they will crack while bending them back to proper position. There is a medium kink in each bend that will probably reduce airflow so I will use a vice grip to gently press the kink out to get back to round for proper airflow. I called a local aircraft mechanic this morning and he said those aluminum pitot tubes should be soft enough to bend back without them cracking but if they do he has new tubing and can bend & attach new ones. I have a sour nervous stomach wondering if they will bend back ok. My desert runway is only 1,000 feet long and I can't afford any inaccuracy in airspeed and risk a surprise stall and I don't have enough room to come in extra fast and possibly overshoot. I plan to takeoff and either go to a long desert road and come in fast holding the wheels just off and slow down watching airspeed and confirm stall speed is still accurate, or go up a few thousand feet and slowly do a level stall to confirm if airspeed is still accurate. Bending pitot/static tubes is a huge bummer, will never do it again!

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Bent pitot/static tubes loading onto trailer... Reply with quote

AZ Flyer:
Do you have a name?

Not much airflow in a pitot/static system.

Pitot is measuring air pressure from the air stream. Static is measuring
atmospheric pressure.

As long as the pitot is not crimped shut, it will work.

Same for the static tube. If you have a concern, disconnect the static tube
from the ASI. Take off, climb to 1,000 feet or higher, see what the ASI is
indicating when it stalls. Stay about 10 mph above that speed and you won't
stall. Doesn't matter if it is accurate or not, it will always indicate the
same stall speed.

1000 feet of runway is plenty to land a FSII, especially if you have good
approach and departure paths.

I am not encouraging you to do the above, but if it was me, that is the way
I would do it.

Then...when you have time, replace the tubes.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama - Got an hour this afternoon. Weather was perfect.

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Bent pitot/static tubes loading onto trailer... Reply with quote

Hi,
pitot tubes are a nuisance in any position. Underneath, they get crunched in
long grass, tail lifting, rough ground. Sticking out in front, some twit
will walk into it. That particular one can be helped by inserting a short
length of rubber tube on the tube just where it leaves the nose cone. This
will allow it to flex if is bent. Sticking up from the top of the nose cone
is good. It is reasonably protected and incidentally gives you something to
compare the horizon with while keeping your eyes outside the cockpit..

You don`t need several thousand feet to check on stall speed. Unless you are
very ham handed she will just nod her head at the stall and recover at once
when you release the back pressure.

A thousand feet is plenty. It doesn`t matter if the speedometer is accurate.
She will stall at the same INDICATED speed every time.
Unless the tube is crimped shut don`t worry too much. There is not much
airflow.
1000ft of runway should be plenty for landing unless you are trying
wheelies. A manoeuvre which I have never understood. The object of landing
is to get the wheels on the ground at the point when she loses flying speed.
I always close the throttle as soon as the strip is made.( Someday you will
have to land deadstick so you might as well practice) Flare and hold off
with progressively more back stick until she lands. If you still have flying
speed she will leap in the air again so don`t do it.

Have fun

Pat

Arizona Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bent pitot/static tubes loading onto trailer... Reply with quote

John; My name is Jeff. Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Pat, thanks for your input also. I was able to bend my pitot/static tubes back into proper position, and took the kinks out by gently using a vice grips to make them round again. After I finished I reasoned that the pitot probably doesn't need 'full flow' to register proper airspeed because it's pressure more than flow. Then I read your comments and knew for sure thanks. I was sweating until I realized the aluminum was soft enough to not crack, what a relief. Turned out to be somewhat of a blessing because I found some obstruction in the pitot tube so I cleaned it out and it wasn't easy figuring out how to do that with the long length & 90* bend. I have been working on several things for 2 months getting ready to fly the 2nd time and bending those tubes while loading on the trailer was a real heartbreak. I doubt I'll need to do any stalls to verify airspeed now that all is well but I might anyway. Yes, 1,000 feet is plenty for a Firestar. Heck, in Wisconsin I only had 650 feet and landed my Rans S-7 many times stopping well short of the end. Not having flown for 11 years except a quick flight last spring, I'm a bit nervous but know I'll be back in the groove real soon. Last spring I landed on 600 feet 4 times and had problems stopping in time, but my idle was set at 2300 RPM, too high. I turned both idle screws out a bit equally and have it down to 2200 but should go lower. I don't have a carb balancing tool and am concerned about getting them out of sync. They were in sync to start with but at the lower 2200 RPM it does not start as easily. With all my other 2 strokes years ago when cold I'd choke for 2 pulls then they'd fire right up but I don't remember if I bumped the throttle a little? I trailered my Firestar out to my desert 40 acres late afternoon yesterday. It awaits me for flight this afternoon and really looking forward to it. Will be 83* today, gentle breeze & clear blue skies for several days Very Happy This Kolb forum has been so valuable I'm making my contribution today. Thanks again guys...

WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Bent pitot/static tubes loading onto trailer... Reply with quote

In a message dated 11/9/2013 12:55:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, heracesthesun(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
Bending pitot/static tubes is a huge bummer, will never do it again!

Jeff,

You say you will NEVER do it again? Ha ! I'll remember this the next time you post a report about having trouble loading your Kolb onto that trailer, again!

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Bent pitot/static tubes loading onto trailer... Reply with quote

In a message dated 11/9/2013 3:57:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com writes:
Quote:
I am not encouraging you to do the above, but if it was me, that is the way
I would do it.

John h/kolbers,

That reminds me of my Dad. When I was a teenager, he and I would be arguing about how to do something on the farm, and then he would say, "you can do it any way you want to, but if I were doing it.........". And you better believe, it was in my best interest to do it his way.

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: