Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paint question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woxofswa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Paint question Reply with quote

My airplane will be complete by end of year, just unassembled. I plan to take it to the paint shop in pieces, then do final assembly of the painted parts.

The only potential fly in the ointment I see so far are the wing tips. I've had the wings on for the fairing work, but they are off now. I know it is best to match the tips to rigged ailerons. Are there serious potential paint issues of attaching the tips after paint? Any other considerations? I'm really hoping to not have to assemble everything and tear it down again.
Thanks in advance.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

jdriggs49(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Paint question Reply with quote

That is what I did. Only downside (if you call it that) is that the screws holding it in aren't painted on the plane. Otherwise, no problem. I have heard other opinions and I've come to the conclusion it's a personal choice

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rleffler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Paint question Reply with quote

Only if you got one of the wing tips whose shape is distorted. Then you have to cut and re-align the tip, which would screw up your paint job.

I did the same as you are planning, but I rigged the ailerons before taking to paint, then again during final assembly. Even doing this, I've got one tip that ended up being off slightly.

Not a big deal if your wings are still on in your shop. As you mentioned, a real PITA if you have to reassemble everything.

The other option is to delay painting the tips until you get the wings back on after paint.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 20, 2013, at 3:09 PM, "woxofswa" <woxof(at)aol.com> wrote:

My airplane will be complete by end of year, just unassembled. I plan to take it to the paint shop in pieces, then do final assembly of the painted parts.

The only potential fly in the ointment I see so far are the wing tips. I've had the wings on for the fairing work, but they are off now. I know it is best to match the tips to rigged ailerons. Are there serious potential paint issues of attaching the tips after paint? Any other considerations? I'm really hoping to not have to assemble everything and tear it down again.
Thanks in advance.

--------
Myron Nelson
Mesa, AZ
Emp completed, QB wings completed, legacy build fuse on gear. FWF complete.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=413599#413599

rnewman(at)tcwtech.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Paint question Reply with quote

I painted everything separately.  I chose to use stainless steel screws everywhere for fairings and the fuel tanks. I've never been satisfied with the look of painted screws after a few years in service. So I'm real pleased with the result of painting the airplane in pieces and doing final assembly afterwards.   Of course I did have all the parts together for rigging of wings/flaps and ailerons unpainted- one time.
Bob Newman
N541RV.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 20, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Danny Riggs <jdriggs49(at)msn.com (jdriggs49(at)msn.com)> wrote:
[quote] That is what I did. Only downside (if you call it that) is that the screws holding it in aren't painted on the plane. Otherwise, no problem. I have heard other opinions and I've come to the conclusion it's a personal choice.

Quote:
Subject: Paint question
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:09:08 -0800
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

--> RV10-List message posted by: "woxofswa" <woxof(at)aol.com (woxof(at)aol.com)>

Thanks in advance.

--------
Myron Nelson
Mesa, AZ

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=413599#413599

======

Quote:

===================================
ctric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
uilthelp.com

otstore.com

matronics.com/contribution
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
cs.com

[b]

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Paint question Reply with quote

Don't do it. You risk messing up an expensive paint job.

Fit up the wings, flaps, ailerons and wing tips before paint. A 1/4"
wingtip trailing edge offset will totally screw up your trim. It is
impossible to get the wing tips on correctly unless you work from the
fuselage out - flaps, then ailerons, then wingtips. Before you start
drilling and clekoing the tips, the trailing edge of the wing tips can be
moved up or down over an inch. There is no way to get this right unless you
have the aileron in exactly the right rig to align the trailing edges.

After you are really sure you don't have any twist in your flaps, spend a
lot of time measuring aileron rigging every which way from Tuesday. This
includes careful measurement of aileron height both at the inboard and
outboard mounts. Most RVs have a slight height difference between ailerons.
Fix this first, then work the linkage lengths on rigging. After all that
you are ready to rig the wingtips.

Ask any RV builder that chased a heavy wing - aileron height tends to be the
last thing they look at but the most common cause (assuming no gross linkage
issues).

Carl
--

woxofswa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint question Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned that the plan is to paint just the base coat before assembly and the accents afterwards.

Jim Berry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint question Reply with quote

I agree with Carl re rigging the flaps, ailerons and wing tips, but there is no reason that the wings need to be mounted to the fuselage; in fact I think it is easier to do all of that with the wings in a rack, leading edge down. No crawling around under the wings, fighting gravity to keep the flaps against the stops, etc.

Jim Berry
RV-10

karolamy(at)roadrunner.co

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Paint Question Reply with quote

Hi Myron,

An exciting time coming for you with paint right around the corner! One consideration that I didn't see anyone else speak of is skin dimpling. I sort of cringe thinking of dimpling a nicely painted surface! As you know, the procedure would be fit the tip, drill it, deburr it, then finally dimple the skin and c/s the wing tip. Somewhere in there riveting on some platenuts ( nutplates too) to those tips. Also if you are talking about doing a base coat/clear coat there is usually a max. 24 hour window between base and clear to consider - so my thinking is way too much work on those tips for that window? Having to scuff the base coat and add more is the only option and that doesn't sound like much fun! Just some thoughts…..

Regards,
Rich Hansen

Quote:
My airplane will be complete by end of year, just unassembled. I plan to take it
to the paint shop in pieces, then do final assembly of the painted parts.

The only potential fly in the ointment I see so far are the wing tips. I've had
the wings on for the fairing work, but they are off now. I know it is best
to match the tips to rigged ailerons. Are there serious potential paint issues
of attaching the tips after paint? Any other considerations? I'm really hoping
to not have to assemble everything and tear it down again.
Thanks in advance.

--------
Myron Nelson
Mesa, AZ

Jackm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Paint question Reply with quote

Myron,
We just received ours back from paint. As far as wing tips, we had to cut them to length and slit the rear edge apart in order to match to align. Both tips had a tip up and it was impossible on ours to align with out cutting them apart. One thing I will mention is our painter had experience with finishing and painting Lancair, I think he did a excellent job around the windows and I hope no cracking the way they did this. I can send you some pictures if you are interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: