Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making fat wire fatter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Making fat wire fatter Reply with quote

I need to terminate a piece of #2 or #4 (not sure which) welding cable with a #0 wire terminal.  So I want to increase the diameter of the stranded copper a little bit so that it fits snugly within the #0 wire terminal.

I'm thinking about inserting the copper from some #12 solid wire into the center of the #2 (or #4) to fatten it up and then crimping it... Or maybe using a #6 brass machine screw inserted the same way.
Suggestions?
-Jeff
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Making fat wire fatter Reply with quote

On 11/21/2013 6:04 PM, Jeff Luckey wrote:

Quote:
I need to terminate a piece of #2 or #4 (not sure which) welding cable with a #0 wire terminal. So I want to increase the diameter of the stranded copper a little bit so that it fits snugly within the #0 wire terminal.

I'm thinking about inserting the copper from some #12 solid wire into the center of the #2 (or #4) to fatten it up and then crimping it... Or maybe using a #6 brass machine screw inserted the same way.

Suggestions?

-Jeff

I'm pretty sure that Bob has a comic book on his site describing just that technique, using copper wire.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Making fat wire fatter Reply with quote

At 06:04 PM 11/21/2013, you wrote:
Quote:
I need to terminate a piece of #2 or #4 (not sure which) welding
cable with a #0 wire terminal. So I want to increase the diameter
of the stranded copper a little bit so that it fits snugly within
the #0 wire terminal.

Why not acquire the proper terminal?

Bob . . .

jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Making fat wire fatter Reply with quote

If that were possible, I wouldn't be asking this question Wink

Without going into great detail - the terminal in question is built in to an existing fixture in a ground power connector plug.

From: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: Making fat wire fatter

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)>

At 06:04 PM 11/21/2013, you wrote:
Quote:
I need to terminate a piece of #2 or #4 (not sure which) welding cable with a #0 wire terminal. So I want to increase the diameter of the stranded copper a little bit so that it fits snugly within the #0 wire terminal.

Why not acquire the proper terminal?

Bob . . .
www.homebuilthelp.com[/url]
_-= * My Pilot Store www.mrrace.nbsp; -Matt Dralle, List ========================

[quote][b]

timrhod(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Making fat wire fatter Reply with quote

I made small pieces of #12 copper wire sharpened them on one end and tapped them into the welding cable inside the terminal. when tight I then soldered it. Then placed heavy shrink tubing over the terminal and wire as a stress reliever.  

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 21, 2013, at 7:04 PM, Jeff Luckey <jluckey(at)pacbell.net (jluckey(at)pacbell.net)> wrote:

[quote]I need to terminate a piece of #2 or #4 (not sure which) welding cable with a #0 wire terminal. So I want to increase the diameter of the stranded copper a little bit so that it fits snugly within the #0 wire terminal.

Suggestions?
-Jeff
Quote:

===================================
ctric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
uilthelp.com

otstore.com

matronics.com/contribution
st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
cs.com

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: