Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Gear Legs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: New Gear Legs Reply with quote

Several years ago, Kolb sold off their last set of machined, tapered gear legs for the MKIII, and I got them. Since the gear that was on the airplane was working OK, left them on the shelf for years.
Took the MKIII apart last week and put it in the garage for a major going through this winter, and since the aluminum tapered gear was a bit bent, decided it was time to try the high-class gear.
Back when I put the original gear legs on, I aligned them by getting a straight copper grounding rod from Lowe's and sticking it through the axle holes to get the alignment 0-0. Always worked good, so did the new gear the same way. Stuck the new legs in place, took a couple small bungees and strapped the same rod in place, and got everything perfectly parallel. Scribed the new legs by poking a scribe through the gear leg socket holes. (If you don't have machinist's bluing, a fresh Magic Marker works just as good)
Took it to a local machine shop and told them to make the hole start exactly at the scribed hole mark on one side, and come out exactly through the middle or the scribed hole mark on the other side.
They did it. $20.
WOOT!
Time to get to work. (Thanks, Travis!)

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

GearLeg (Small).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.95 KB
 Viewed:  6728 Time(s)

GearLeg (Small).JPG

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
Rick Lewis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gear Legs Reply with quote

That looks like a good way to align the gear. I used a laser pointer shooting to a target on the wall and compared each side with the center line of the fuselage. Your way seems just as accurate and much easier...Thanks....

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

(VW Watercooled Engine)
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Gear Legs Reply with quote

What I don't know is - the stiffer aluminum solid gear has almost no flex. This thing will probably be flexible. So that may make things very different. Who knows!

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: New Gear Legs Reply with quote

it was all the flex that caused the jackhammer ride..... I went from 2 deg, ( 1 deg per side) down to 0 deg...   and it would shake hard enough to make me think the dental work on my top teeth would end up in the bottom row.... I had to bend some toe in back in... as I remember it was around 1.2 deg total... .6 on each side. to make it ride smooth.

the way I tested was the wheels on a skid plate, an angle sheet metal across the back of both tires, and a carpenter square along the sheet metal, to the side of the wheel. check the photos. if you have any questions, let me know.

boyd
mkiii utah

--

toein11.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.31 KB
 Viewed:  6698 Time(s)

toein11.JPG

toein12.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.26 KB

toein12.JPG

toein13.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.75 KB

toein13.JPG

toein14.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.02 KB

toein14.JPG

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Gear Legs Reply with quote

The pictures make perfect sense, thanks for that. How did you bend the gear legs a little at a time until you got the desired toe in? I have a tubing bender - or did you slip a pipe over the axles and armstrong it?

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: New Gear Legs Reply with quote

The pictures make perfect sense, thanks for that. How did you bend the gear
legs a little at a time until you got the desired toe in? I have a tubing
bender - or did you slip a pipe over the axles and armstrong it?

--------
Richard Pike

I've had good luck bending with a long section of water pipe slipped over
the axle. Of course you have to support the main gear where you want to
make the correction.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Kolbers out there. You all are a special
family of special builders and flyers.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
undoctor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: New Gear Legs Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, John, and to all the other Kolb drivers
and lurkers on the list. If we look around to other parts of the world,
it's clear that we really do have a lot to be thankful for. God has
been good to us.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

Do Not Archive

On 11/27/2013 9:41 AM, John Hauck wrote:
Quote:

The pictures make perfect sense, thanks for that. How did you bend the gear
legs a little at a time until you got the desired toe in? I have a tubing
bender - or did you slip a pipe over the axles and armstrong it?

--------
Richard Pike

I've had good luck bending with a long section of water pipe slipped over
the axle. Of course you have to support the main gear where you want to
make the correction.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Kolbers out there. You all are a special
family of special builders and flyers.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: new gear legs Reply with quote

Richard and others

I just visited Google and did a search on pipe benders, my son’s pipe bender looks very similar to this one, but his has two of the saw tooth ratchet arms, one arm is fixed and the other attaches to the actuating arm. they are set up so with one pull of the actuating arm you only move things one tooth,, but with the second arm... you can hold tension on the piece while you moved the primary arm to a new notch ,  then pull again. as I remember he told me that it would bend up to 1 1/2 inch solid steel rod. I cant see the fixed pointer in this photo. but it lines up just above the bottom plate marked off in degrees.

boyd

[img]cid:0E49A94F87C240EDBBC057C34BE5E312(at)BYoungHP[/img]

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

bender[2].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.6 KB
 Viewed:  6673 Time(s)

bender[2].jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: