Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introducing myself--help needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lownslow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Introducing myself--help needed. Reply with quote

Hi friends, I am the recent new owner of a Mk IIIC project that I am in the process of completing, so I want to introduce myself to this list and say hi! I am in Colorado Springs and am installing a Rotax Rick 670 due to the higher field elevations out here. (I was very interested in the post I just read on the 670, posted earlier this month). Being a newbie, I feel I have lot's to learn, and remain very "teachable". I hope to have the project flying within the next 3 to 6 months.

22 years of Air Force flying, laid it to rest for a number of years and now have the itch again! I'm excited about the aircraft and about the community that I find here. Seems everyone is really enjoying the flying and the commeraderie.

How many of you are flying Kolbs in the mountains--just curious what advice you may have.

Has anyone put together a POH of sorts? I am unaware of anything available through Kolb, but maybe I'm wrong about that? (I'm guessing most people put something together as a result of their Phase I test period but it would be nice to have a starting point.)

The critical question: I have most photos from the previous owner builder's log but he was unable to locate pictures of the early construction of the cage and tail boom. I'm wondering if it might be possible to replace those with some generic pictures to complete my builder's log. My aircraft has a white painted cage structure. I would be very grateful.

thanks so much

Mike

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
rowedenny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Introducing myself--help needed. Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Mike,
Will be interested in following your progress on your Mk 3. Also look forward to learning more about your engine installation.
You will want to get some dual in a Mk-3 or a Kolbra to adjust yourself to the low inertia high drag world we Kolbers operate in. Our birds may be slow, but things happen fast in them.
Enjoy your project, and enjoy the list. If you check the archives we had a thread recently on the POH, I believe I posted pics of the front and back of the checklist sheet I made for my bird. Also got some solid suggestions for adjustments to it. If you can't find it, hopefully someone better at using the archives can dig it up. Wink

Dennis "Skid" Rowe
Mk3, 2SI690L-70, Leechburg, PA

Quote:
On Nov 27, 2013, at 6:07 PM, "lownslow" <mnmcouillard(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi friends, I am the recent new owner of a Mk IIIC project that I am in the process of completing, so I want to introduce myself to this list and say hi! I am in Colorado Springs and am installing a Rotax Rick 670 due to the higher field elevations out here. (I was very interested in the post I just read on the 670, posted earlier this month). Being a newbie, I feel I have lot's to learn, and remain very "teachable". I hope to have the project flying within the next 3 to 6 months.

22 years of Air Force flying, laid it to rest for a number of years and now have the itch again! I'm excited about the aircraft and about the community that I find here. Seems everyone is really enjoying the flying and the commeraderie.

How many of you are flying Kolbs in the mountains--just curious what advice you may have.

Has anyone put together a POH of sorts? I am unaware of anything available through Kolb, but maybe I'm wrong about that? (I'm guessing most people put something together as a result of their Phase I test period but it would be nice to have a starting point.)

The critical question: I have most photos from the previous owner builder's log but he was unable to locate pictures of the early construction of the cage and tail boom. I'm wondering if it might be possible to replace those with some generic pictures to complete my builder's log. My aircraft has a white painted cage structure. I would be very grateful.

thanks so much

Mike

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=414361#414361

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Introducing myself--help needed. Reply with quote

On 11/27/2013 5:07 PM, lownslow wrote:
Quote:

thanks so much

Mike
Did the previous builder keep notes during that phase of the build? Pics

aren't required.

lownslow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing myself--help needed. Reply with quote

wow, didn't know that.....

that's good news; the builder kept good notes in a word document that I was going to upload into kitlog pro, but I'm wondering if that's worth my time

thanks!

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing myself--help needed. Reply with quote

lownslow wrote:
wow, didn't know that.....

that's good news; the builder kept good notes in a word document that I was going to upload into kitlog pro, but I'm wondering if that's worth my time

thanks!

If they are in Word, hit print and put them in a binder. That is more than enough documentation.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Introducing myself--help needed. Reply with quote

then on the other hand..... I did not take notes,,,, my builders log was
photos only..... I suppose that if the inspector wanted notes,,, I could
have put a caption at the bottom of each photo. I had it inspected in my
driveway, and he could see the photos were indeed of the inside of my
shop. and the delivery of kits was indeed my driveway. maybe I dodged a
bullet.

boyd

do not archive

Quote:

The critical question: I have most photos from the previous owner
builder's log but he was unable to locate pictures of the early
construction of the cage and tail boom. I'm wondering if it might be
possible to replace those with some generic pictures to complete my
builder's log. My aircraft has a white painted cage structure. I would
be very grateful.

thanks so much

Mike

aren't required.
---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Introducing myself--help needed. Reply with quote

I don't have the rules in front of me, but it basically boils down to
having documentation of some sort that the build was for education &
recreation (as in: not for hire). The form it takes isn't specified.
Some guys have only a web site; some have a book (or a disc) of photos,
some have only shop notes. I've made notes with dates & time used in the
margins of my RV-7 builder's manual (photos, too, but both aren't
actually needed). The big deals are the 'not for hire' for over 50%, to
get the airworthiness cert., and convincing the FAA (typically with your
documentation) that you did enough of the work & understand the
mechanics of the project well enough that they should issue you the
repairman's certificate.

All this assumes that we're talking about Experimental Amateur Built in
the USA.

Charlie
(BTW, that even applies to flight logs. On a recent flight review, the
instructor asked if I'd logged x amount of time for a reason I now
forget. I write times into a little spiral notebook that I keep in the
plane, but had not updated my pilot's log for years. He said that as
long as there's a record, the form doesn't matter.)
On 11/28/2013 10:31 AM, b young wrote:
Quote:

then on the other hand..... I did not take notes,,,, my builders
log was photos only..... I suppose that if the inspector wanted
notes,,, I could have put a caption at the bottom of each photo. I
had it inspected in my driveway, and he could see the photos were
indeed of the inside of my shop. and the delivery of kits was indeed
my driveway. maybe I dodged a bullet.

boyd

do not archive

>
> The critical question: I have most photos from the previous owner
> builder's log but he was unable to locate pictures of the early
> construction of the cage and tail boom. I'm wondering if it might be
> possible to replace those with some generic pictures to complete my
> builder's log. My aircraft has a white painted cage structure. I
> would be very grateful.
>
> thanks so much
>
> Mike
aren't required.
---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is active.

lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Introducing myself--help needed. Reply with quote

I suppose that a lot of what is required depends on the examiner. It may have even changed since I had mine in for registration. I had a POH, he didn't even look at it or want it. Builders log was a similar nonevent. The fact that I had one was all he cared about. He was very interested in the safety factor of the build, and not much else. The anticipation of all that could go wrong was much much more than the actual fact. Perhaps you could find someone who had used the guy or the office where the inspection would take place, and get some idea of what to expect.  I would suspect that you are much harder on yourself than what the examiner will be. Mine was a paid examiner, not an actual FAA employee.

Having all the above in mind I would be as prepared as I could be, but I wouldn't obsess over it.
Good Luck
Larry 

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

I don't have the rules in front of me, but it basically boils down to having documentation of some sort that the build was for education & recreation (as in: not for hire). The form it takes isn't specified. Some guys have only a web site; some have a book (or a disc) of photos, some have only shop notes. I've made notes with dates & time used in the margins of my RV-7 builder's manual (photos, too, but both aren't actually needed). The big deals are the 'not for hire' for over 50%, to get the airworthiness cert., and convincing the FAA (typically with your documentation) that you did enough of the work & understand the mechanics of the project well enough that they should issue you the repairman's certificate.

All this assumes that we're talking about Experimental Amateur Built in the USA.

Charlie
(BTW, that even applies to flight logs. On a recent flight review, the instructor asked if I'd logged x amount of time for a reason I now forget. I write times into a little spiral notebook that I keep in the plane, but had not updated my pilot's log for years. He said that as long as there's a record, the form doesn't matter.)

On 11/28/2013 10:31 AM, b young wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "b young" <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)>

then on the other hand.....  I did not take notes,,,,   my builders log was photos only.....   I suppose that if the inspector wanted notes,,,  I could have put a caption at the bottom of each photo.   I had it inspected in my driveway,   and he could see the photos were indeed of the inside of my shop. and the delivery of kits was indeed my driveway.    maybe I dodged a bullet.

boyd

do not archive

Quote:

The critical question:  I have most photos from the previous owner builder's log but he was unable to locate pictures of the early construction of the cage and tail boom.  I'm wondering if it might be possible to replace those with some generic pictures to complete my builder's log.  My aircraft has a white painted cage structure.  I would be very grateful.

thanks so much

Mike
aren't required.

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

====================================
om" target="_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
ooks.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
et="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
et="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
"_blank">www.mrrace.com
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
le, List Admin.
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
http://forums.matronics.com

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

[quote][b]

herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Introducing myself--help needed. Reply with quote

I have had the privelage of standing by when an airplane was inspected
by an Faa employee....She simply said" did you build it?" "Its
experimental...so I guess you did?" "what is it called?"

and with that...she did whatever paper work that was required.... The
truth was...my bud had no builders log...for he had assembled the plane
from two or three projects that he bought along the way...

In another situation ..a friend bought a plane and did some finish
work...mostly paint and instruments......The airline pilot Dar created
some impossible tasks to make the plane certifiable...and after some
months ...my bud found another Dar who signed it off in two hours...

My impression is...that if the DAR's occupation depends on the good
graces of the FAA...then give him a pass and shop for another ...Ask
around , they are out there..Herb
On 11/28/2013 06:04 PM, Larry Cottrell wrote:
Quote:
I suppose that a lot of what is required depends on the examiner. It
may have even changed since I had mine in for registration. I had a
POH, he didn't even look at it or want it. Builders log was a similar
nonevent. The fact that I had one was all he cared about. He was very
interested in the safety factor of the build, and not much else. The
anticipation of all that could go wrong was much much more than the
actual fact. Perhaps you could find someone who had used the guy or
the office where the inspection would take place, and get some idea of
what to expect. I would suspect that you are much harder on yourself
than what the examiner will be. Mine was a paid examiner, not an
actual FAA employee.

Having all the above in mind I would be as prepared as I could be, but
I wouldn't obsess over it.

Good Luck
Larry

rickofudall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Introducing myself--help needed. Reply with quote

It must be my locality, being so close to the Air Capital of the World, but both the DAR I used for my trike, the Mk 3, and the Firestar, and the FAA inspector who did the Cumulus were all equally thorough. Since I was bringing previously built aircraft into the system under the LSA grandfathering clause of FAR 21.191(i)1 I didn't have to have a builder log, but they each spent about an hour going over the aircraft and another 30 minutes on the paperwork, so it appears the advice to shop around for a DAR is good. Since they charge upwards of $200 just to show up, I'd suggest contacting your local EAA chapter as well as other builders in your area to find a DAR who will give you a thorough inspection without getting hung up in subjective minutae.

Rick Girard

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM, herb <herbgh(at)nctc.com (herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: herb <herbgh(at)nctc.com (herbgh(at)nctc.com)>

I have had the privelage of standing by when an airplane was inspected by an Faa employee....She simply said" did you build it?"  "Its experimental...so I guess you did?" "what is it called?"

and with that...she did whatever paper work that was required....  The truth was...my bud had no builders log...for he had assembled the plane from two or three projects that he bought along the way...

In another situation ..a friend bought a plane and  did some finish work...mostly  paint and instruments......The airline pilot Dar created some impossible tasks to make the plane certifiable...and after some months ..my bud found another Dar who signed it off in two hours...

My impression is...that if the DAR's occupation depends on the good graces of the FAA...then give him a pass and shop for another ...Ask around , they are out there..Herb

On 11/28/2013 06:04 PM, Larry Cottrell wrote:
Quote:
I suppose that a lot of what is required depends on the examiner. It may have even changed since I had mine in for registration. I had a POH, he didn't even look at it or want it. Builders log was a similar nonevent. The fact that I had one was all he cared about. He was very interested in the safety factor of the build, and not much else. The anticipation of all that could go wrong was much much more than the actual fact. Perhaps you could find someone who had used the guy or the office where the inspection would take place, and get some idea of what to expect.  I would suspect that you are much harder on yourself than what the examiner will be. Mine was a paid examiner, not an actual FAA employee.

Having all the above in mind I would be as prepared as I could be, but I wouldn't obsess over it.

Good Luck
Larry

om" target="_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
ooks.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
et="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
et="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
"_blank">www.mrrace.com
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
le, List Admin.
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
http://forums.matronics.com

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

[quote][b]

lownslow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing myself--help needed. Reply with quote

very helpful thread! thanks for all the discussion!

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!

Mike

lownslow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Dual in a Kolb Reply with quote

Denny mentioned the wisdom in getting some dual in a Kolb, and I agree, a great idea. Does anyone know of a Kolb close to Colorado where I might do that? Or maybe catch someone at a Kolb flyin. I need to find out when those happen. Sun'n Fun would be ideal, but I was hoping to fly mine before then....

Thanks everyone!

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: