Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolb-List Digest: 8 Msgs - 12/04/13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen(at)bimi.org

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Kolb-List Digest: 8 Msgs - 12/04/13 Reply with quote

Skid: Have you given any thought to a Great Plains VW engine for you plane? The 2180 with re-drive should give you 100 hp for take-off and about 70-80 for cruise.
It is already beefed up in the crank and other areas of significance.
I do not want to obligate the folk at GPAS by stating a price but my brand new engine built by Steve at GPAS with re-drive was less than what the Rotax two stroke, two cyl was.
My engine is a four cyl. four stroke air-cooled with dual ignition,starter, alternator, etc.
Just a thought.
Bob Green
MKIIIX

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
rowedenny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Kolb-List Digest: 8 Msgs - 12/04/13 Reply with quote

Bob,
I have a local friend, "Roger Sell" who is nearing completion of an Xtra with the GP/Valley Engineering set up. Very nice indeed. Should be a hot performer. Really looking forward to trying it out next summer.
My fuselage is 1991 vintage and is not modified for the VW engine. I am also a weight freak and am pretty confident I'll keep my weight within 10 pounds of the 475 pounds my bird weighs with it's current powerplant. The 85+ hp the 670 offers should be more than ample to hurl my light Mk-3 into the sky at a satisfying clip. It also should make 65-70 hp in the lower 5k rpm range which will give me a solid 65-70 mph economy cruise. As I am doing some of the work myself, reusing my instrumentation and propeller, and starting off with the stock single ignition, I should be able to keep the total close to $5k. If it's over that, wifeys going to crap! Ok, she'll crap even if it's under. Wink
Anyhow, this option offers me the easiest path to a 85hp and should it not work out, swapping back to my 2SI will be a one day project. Can't beat that with a stick.

Dennis "Skid" Rowe
Mk3, 690L-70, Leechburg, PA

Quote:
On Dec 5, 2013, at 7:58 AM, Bob Green <bgreen(at)bimi.org> wrote:

Skid: Have you given any thought to a Great Plains VW engine for you plane? The 2180 with re-drive should give you 100 hp for take-off and about 70-80 for cruise.
It is already beefed up in the crank and other areas of significance.
I do not want to obligate the folk at GPAS by stating a price but my brand new engine built by Steve at GPAS with re-drive was less than what the Rotax two stroke, two cyl was.
My engine is a four cyl. four stroke air-cooled with dual ignition,starter, alternator, etc.
Just a thought.
Bob Green
MKIIIX

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: