Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firefly/introduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

My Firefly quick build kit arrived today. Partain Transportation delivered it from the factory. I must say, I don’t think there was any way to get it here for less money and less hassle. The kit is excellent in workmanship and there is no way I could have done it as quickly or as well as the factory did. For me the quick build option is definitely the way to go.

I would be most interested in hearing from other Firefly owners on any subject from the kit, covering, painting, or engine selection to flying characteristics.

A little about me:

I learned to fly in an Aeronca LB-65 Pre-War Chief as a teenager. I owned and flew a ’63 Piper Cherokee 180 for a little over ten years and loved that airplane! Alas, it became too expensive to keep when my flying habits changed and cross country travel became a thing of the past. I flew the Chief for a few years, but life changes made that more difficult and the cost of owning a hanger and plane kept climbing, although my yearly logbook entries kept shrinking. I finally sold the Chief this spring and started looking for an ulta-light that I could keep and fly nearby. The hangar is gone too, so storage in a trailer was one of my prime requirements.

Initially I was very intrigued by the BackYard Flyer. I contacted the company and was very excited to visit with them at Oshkosh, fully prepared to order one while there. I was greatly disappointed by the fact that they did not even bring a partially build unit to show off at Oshkosh. It seemed as though I was intruding on their family vacation by asking questions. I liked the design and the price, but wanted to see one fly and get a good firsthand look at the product. Delivery time was quoted at over a year and there were no versions near me to look at. I left my contact information with the company with promises to put me in touch with other owners so that I may find out more. I never heard a word from them.

While walking the booths at Oshkosh, I found Kolb. I knew of them, but not about them. When I discovered they folded up, I got very interested. Visiting with Bryan and Travis was like a breath of fresh air, with a hint of used car salesman thrown in. But what the heck, that is their job. I found them to be friendly, and straight forward. I did not commit at Oshkosh, but thought about the Firefly all the way home and spent an entire day on the internet researching the plane and the company. I could not find any disparaging remarks AT ALL! I bit the bullet and ordered my kit.

Kolb has been a delight to work with, and I expect to be in much closer contact with them as I get into the process of finishing the Firefly. Based on my experiences so far, I expect this is going to be fairly easy and lots of fun. I have no worries about getting support from the factory.

I have not made an engine decision yet, but will be ordering the covering kit soon. I helped a friend cover and paint his Fisher Classic with Polyfiber products several years ago and was so impressed, I don’t think I will use anything else. Anyone want to try and persuade me differently? Please let me hear from you.

I am leaning towards the Hirth 2702 with a Warp Drive 3 blade, but again, I want to hear from others.

One last note, I really liked the delivery service by Partain. I had not heard of them, but Travis at Kolb made all the arrangements. I could not have gotten the kit here by any other means for less $ and it was hassle free. I would definitely use them again. Thanks to Tony Partain and driver Michael!

I have perused the forums and am hoping to start quite a lot of conversation about the Firefly.

Thanks for your consideration.

Stuart Harner
Central North Dakota

P.S. Anyone want a partially completed Loehle 5151 Kit? I certainly don’t need it anymore, I have a FIREFLY!!!

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lcottrell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

It appears that all the experts are busy, so I will at least acknowledge
that your question was seen at least by one. First congratulations on your
smart choice. I believe that you will love the little bird. However unless
there has been some serious changes with Hirth I would do a lot of checking
before I committed to it. I have no solid evidence against them, other than
the experiences of a couple of friends, which were not all that good.
Good luck,
Larry
On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net>wrote:

[quote] Hello Everyone,

My Firefly quick build kit arrived today. Partain Transportation
delivered it from the factory. I must say, I don’t think there was any way
to get it here for less money and less hassle. The kit is excellent in
workmanship and there is no way I could have done it as quickly or as well
as the factory did. For me the quick build option is definitely the way to
go.

I would be most interested in hearing from other Firefly owners on any
subject from the kit, covering, painting, or engine selection to flying
characteristics.

A little about me:

I learned to fly in an Aeronca LB-65 Pre-War Chief as a teenager. I owned
and flew a ’63 Piper Cherokee 180 for a little over ten years and loved
that airplane! Alas, it became too expensive to keep when my flying habits
changed and cross country travel became a thing of the past. I flew the
Chief for a few years, but life changes made that more difficult and the
cost of owning a hanger and plane kept climbing, although my yearly logbook
entries kept shrinking. I finally sold the Chief this spring and started
looking for an ulta-light that I could keep and fly nearby. The hangar is
gone too, so storage in a trailer was one of my prime requirements.

Initially I was very intrigued by the BackYard Flyer. I contacted the
company and was very excited to visit with them at Oshkosh, fully prepared
to order one while there. I was greatly disappointed by the fact that they
did not even bring a partially build unit to show off at Oshkosh. It
seemed as though I was intruding on their family vacation by asking
questions. I liked the design and the price, but wanted to see one fly and
get a good firsthand look at the product. Delivery time was quoted at over
a year and there were no versions near me to look at. I left my contact
information with the company with promises to put me in touch with other
owners so that I may find out more. I never heard a word from them.

While walking the booths at Oshkosh, I found Kolb. I knew of them, but
not about them. When I discovered they folded up, I got very interested.
Visiting with Bryan and Travis was like a breath of fresh air, with a hint
of used car salesman thrown in. But what the heck, that is their job. I
found them to be friendly, and straight forward. I did not commit at
Oshkosh, but thought about the Firefly all the way home and spent an entire
day on the internet researching the plane and the company. I could not
find any disparaging remarks AT ALL! I bit the bullet and ordered my kit

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gliderx5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

Stuart
Congrats on the Kolb.  You're going to love it! I don't have any experience with the Hirth engines, but I think a Rotax 447 would certainly be a great fit, and they are available for very little money. Also, I preach the gospel of latex paint. Polyfiber is a great product, but if cost or health concerns are an issue you might have a look at latex. Here's a link to some information on it if you're interested. http://home.comcast.net/~mmorrison123/Latex.htm . And, here's a link to my Kolb MKII page. You might find the trailer interesting. http://home.comcast.net/~mmorrison123/kolb.htm

Best of luck on the new project

Malcolm Morrison

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:05:53 AM
Subject: Re: Firefly/introduction
It appears that all the experts are busy, so I will at least acknowledge that your question was seen at least by one. First congratulations on your smart choice. I believe that you will love the little bird. However unless there has been some serious changes with Hirth I would do a lot of checking before I committed to it. I have no solid evidence against them, other than the experiences of a couple of friends, which were not all that good. Good luck,
Larry

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Hello Everyone,

My Firefly quick build kit arrived today. Partain Transportation delivered it from the factory. I must say, I don’t think there was any way to get it here for less money and less hassle. The kit is excellent in workmanship and there is no way I could have done it as quickly or as well as the factory did. For me the quick build option is definitely the way to go.

I would be most interested in hearing from other Firefly owners on any subject from the kit, covering, painting, or engine selection to flying characteristics.

A little about me:

I learned to fly in an Aeronca LB-65 Pre-War Chief as a teenager. I owned and flew a ’63 Piper Cherokee 180 for a little over ten years and loved that airplane! Alas, it became too expensive to keep when my flying habits changed and cross country travel became a thing of the past. I flew the Chief for a few years, but life changes made that more difficult and the cost of owning a hanger and plane kept climbing, although my yearly logbook entries kept shrinking. I finally sold the Chief this spring and started looking for an ulta-light that I could keep and fly nearby. The hangar is gone too, so storage in a trailer was one of my prime requirements.

Initially I was very intrigued by the BackYard Flyer. I contacted the company and was very excited to visit with them at Oshkosh, fully prepared to order one while there. I was greatly disappointed by the fact that they did not even bring a partially build unit to show off at Oshkosh. It seemed as though I was intruding on their family vacation by asking questions. I liked the design and the price, but wanted to see one fly and get a good firsthand look at the product. Delivery time was quoted at over a year and there were no versions near me to look at.  I left my contact information with the company with promises to put me in touch with other owners so that I may find out more. I never heard a word from them.

While walking the booths at Oshkosh, I found Kolb.  I knew of them, but not about them. When I discovered they folded up, I got very interested. Visiting with Bryan and Travis was like a breath of fresh air, with a hint of used car salesman thrown in. But what the heck, that is their job. I found them to be friendly, and straight forward. I did not commit at Oshkosh, but thought about the Firefly all the way home and spent an entire day on the internet researching the plane and the company. I could not find any disparaging remarks AT ALL! I bit the bullet and ordered my kit.

Kolb has been a delight to work with, and I expect to be in much closer contact with them as I get into the process of finishing the Firefly. Based on my experiences so far, I expect this is going to be fairly easy and lots of fun. I have no worries about getting support from the factory.

I have not made an engine decision yet, but will be ordering the covering kit soon. I helped a friend cover and paint his Fisher Classic with Polyfiber products several years ago and was so impressed, I don’t think I will use anything else. Anyone want to try and persuade me differently? Please let me hear from you.

I am leaning towards the Hirth 2702 with a Warp Drive 3 blade, but again, I want to hear from others.

One last note, I really liked the delivery service by Partain. I had not heard of them, but Travis at Kolb made all the arrangements. I could not have gotten the kit here by any other means for less $ and it was hassle free. I would definitely use them again. Thanks to Tony Partain and driver Michael!

I have perused the forums and am hoping to start quite a lot of conversation about the Firefly.

Stuart Harner
Central North Dakota

P.S. Anyone want a partially completed Loehle 5151 Kit? I certainly don’t need it anymore, I have a FIREFLY!!!

Quote:

_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
ank">www.mrrace.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Quote:

_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.aeroelectric.com">www.aeroelectric.com
" target="_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.buildersbooks.com">www.buildersbooks.com
="_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.homebuilthelp.com">www.homebuilthelp.com
="_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.mypilotstore.com">www.mypilotstore.com
ank" data-mce-href="http://www.mrrace.com">www.mrrace.com
_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
get="_blank" data-mce-href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ta-mce-href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

[quote][b]

rowedenny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new toy!
You'll love the sporty handling of the Firefly, I flew a friends 447 powered Fly a couple years ago and it was a plane that made me want to stay up till I ran out of gas. Stalls were so fun that my wife actually called me on the radio and said to knock it off. Very responsive and nimble and speedy as an ultralight can get. I hope to have one of my own someday.
As far as engine choice, I would have to say the 447 is a no brainer, makes if a real hotrod.
Of course a freshly rebuilt old 377 Rotax would also be tempting and very economical.
As always, make sure to do transition training in a two seat Kolb before your first flight as these light weight high drag types are a different animal than you are used to.
Enjoy the build.
And put me in the Poly Fiber camp. Jim and Dondi at aircraft tech support are wonderful folks.
Dennis "Skid" RoweMk3, 690L-70, Leechburg, PA
On Dec 18, 2013, at 8:27 PM, "Stuart Harner" <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)> wrote:
[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hello Everyone,

My Firefly quick build kit arrived today.  Partain Transportation delivered it from the factory. I must say, I don’t think there was any way to get it here for less money and less hassle. The kit is excellent in workmanship and there is no way I could have done it as quickly or as well as the factory did. For me the quick build option is definitely the way to go.

A little about me:

Initially I was very intrigued by the BackYard Flyer. I contacted the company and was very excited to visit with them at Oshkosh, fully prepared to order one while there. I was greatly disappointed by the fact that they did not even bring a partially build unit to show off at Oshkosh. It seemed as though I was intruding on their family vacation by asking questions. I liked the design and the price, but wanted to see one fly and get a good firsthand look at the product. Delivery time was quoted at over a year and there were no versions near me to look at. I left my contact information with the company with promises to put me in touch with other owners so that I may find out more. I never heard a word from them.

While walking the booths at Oshkosh, I found Kolb. I knew of them, but not about them. When I discovered they folded up, I got very interested. Visiting with Bryan and Travis was like a breath of fresh air, with a hint of used car salesman thrown in. But what the heck, that is their job. I found them to be friendly, and straight forward. I did not commit at Oshkosh, but thought about the Firefly all the way home and spent an entire day on the internet researching the plane and the company. I could not find any disparaging remarks AT ALL! I bit the bullet and ordered my kit.

Stuart Harner
Central North Dakota

Quote:

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
ot;">www.aeroelectric.com
books.com"">www.buildersbooks.com
quot;">www.homebuilthelp.com
quot;">www.mypilotstore.com
">www.mrrace.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
//forums.matronics.com

[b]

tombaisley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

Rotax,
PolyFiber

beauford173(at)tampabay.r

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

Welcome to the list, Brother Harner…

I believe you will find a number of Kolbers on this list who will assure you that you made a good choice in selecting the Fly,
and an even wiser choice in having the good lads in London execute the quick-build for you. They are well known for their
high quality work/support and your expression of satisfaction with their efforts is not unusual.

I ordered the kit from Pennsylvania Kolb and began building my Fly in ’99 --- first flew it in the autumn of 2001. There is nothing kinky
about the building process and with your experience with Polyfiber, covering it should be a piece of cake for you. The Kolb plans and
instruction manual are well done… If you don’t have one, a copy of the Stits manual might be another good resource to have
around.

I have had great luck with the EIS system…mine has been flawless since the very first flight and the Grand Rapids folks are great
people who really support their product well. I do not hesitate to recommend them.

To Hirth, or not to Hirth, may well prove to be the single most entertaining aspect of your adventure. Were I hanging on the cusp of that one, I
would invest in a substantial amount of research out among those who are actually operating Hirths before I committed. I have seen two
of them operate on Airport Manatee, both on trikes – suffice it to say they both engines appeared to have “colorful” service records, matched with the
equally colorful vocabularies displayed by the individuals who were working with them.

Do you plan to install a BRS chute?. I have a 750 canister model atop mine and have no trouble with that installation.

Aside from your GA acft experience, you didn’t mention whether you had spent any time fooling around with low-inertia machines like
the Kolbs. They be different. By the time you get ready to commit aviation with yours, you will have suffered plenty of free advice about
the unique manner in which they can decelerate when the power is pulled off. Think of a fast ball pitcher delivering a wadded up Kleenex…
Your old LB-65 would have gotten to home plate… trust me, the Kleenex will not. You might want to consider finding someone with
a two-place Kolb and planning for an hour or two of touch and goes, just for drill….. can’t hurt.

You also did not mention how large a person you are…. I go about 210 to 215. With that stingy little 22 foot wing, and a pleasingly corpulent
driver such as myself, I have found that Fly aviation can, under certain circumstances, tend to take on more of the characteristics of a ballistic event, rather than the one with the puffy clouds and eagles I had envisioned in my mind’s eye as I was humming the “Right Stuff” theme and drilling holes and pulling rivets
all those months. I have heard anecdotal evidence that humans of a more reasonable bulk find the Fly to be a sprightly performer indeed.

Speaking of the 22 foot wing, I found, through experimentation that vortex generators made a substantial positive difference in the performance
of the wing at stall… I ended up using the LandShorter units ; lowered the stall by 4 mph indicated, but more significantly, enabled a more
buoyant feeling on the roundout flare for full stall arrivals… Flew the first six years without them, wish I had added them sooner.

All that said, I really like my little bird… It is a sturdy, honest little steed without a sneaky tube in its body once we established our respective limits
and mutually agreed to live within them. I’ll bet you are going to have a lot of fun with yours.

This List, aside from what I dribble onto it, is a great source of information and accumulated wisdom for a person building a Kolb…. There are some very
experienced and innovative folks on here who will not hesitate to jump in and share their knowledge with you if you hit
a building snag or want to consider an unusual option. Once again, welcome…

Worth what ye paid fer it…

beauford
FF-076, N173BW
Brandon, FL

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Stuart Harner
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:27 PM
Subject: Firefly/introduction

Hello Everyone,

[quote][b]

Jason Omelchuck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

I am in no way endorsing this engine and I do not have any experience with them but here is another option to explore.

http://www.compactradialengines.com/mz201.html

the 447 sure does have a lot of history behind it

Have fun and be safe
Jason

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

Welcome to the Kolb Flyers and Builders List:

I've been doing this Kolb building and flying thing for a while, plus some
other flying before that. I have no problem remembering where I will spend
my time once my little airplane is up and flying. Right! In the air. A
very serious place to play. Gravity never goes away and Murphy never goes
to sleep.

I never realized how hard the ground was until the first time I crashed. It
was just as hard the second and third time.

I want the best of the best to fly and keep me in the air.

Flew with 2 strokes for the first 9 years on my Ultrastar, Firestar, and
MKIII experience. After the bullet proof 582 proved me wrong, I decided to
go 4 stroke and have never looked back in the past 29 years of flying in
front of 912's.

If I was serious about flying a Firestar or Firefly again, I'd probably go
with an HKS. Some of my Kolb friends fly with the HKS which has produced
good reliable power for them. 4 strokes are not bullet proof. Same for
certified recip engines and turbines. Normally, they are not the problem
when an engine out occurs, but some minor problem like, bad fuel, spark plug
wires, throttle cable, etc.

If I was going to fly a Firefly with a two stroke, I'd go with a 447, or
better yet, a 503 (assuming Kolb Aircraft would endorse a 503 on a Firefly).
john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama - Going flying today to take advantage of some beautiful
weather and take some photos of my neighbors homes.

Titus, Alabama
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Jack Hart was trying an MZ engine. I haven't seen any recent updates from him.

Bill Sullivan
          Windsor Locks, Ct.
      FS 447

Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: Firefly/introduction

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jason Omelchuck" <jason(at)trek-tech.com (jason(at)trek-tech.com)>

I am in no way endorsing this engine and I do not have any experience with them but here is another option to explore.

http://www.compactradialengines.com/mz201.html

the 447 sure does have a lot of history behind it

Have fun and be safe
Jason

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=415859#415859

http://www.matronics.com/c -Matt Dralle, List Admin.; --> http://forums.matronics.com<===============

[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

Flew with 2 strokes for the first 9 years on my Ultrastar, Firestar, and
MKIII experience. After the bullet proof 582 proved me wrong, I decided to
go 4 stroke and have never looked back in the past 29 years of flying in
front of 912's.

The above should have read "20 years". Not "29".

john h

Titus, Alabama
rowedenny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

Shweww, I was hoping it hadn't been that long that the 912s been around. But still, time flies.

Dennis "Skid" Rowe
Mk3, 690L-70, Leechburg, PA

Quote:
The above should have read "20 years". Not "29".

john h

t41pilot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefly/introduction Reply with quote

Congrats on the Firefly Purchase. I bought my kit a couple years ago and have not regretted it. I had no prior knowledge of building, covering or painting and was nevertheless quite pleased with my result. I must admit that I liked making the parts better than the covering and paint. The poly fiber process was not difficult, just time consuming. It was really forgiving if you didn't have it exactly right. Most of the time I could shrink out any extra wrinkles around the curves. The poly tone paint was easy to use. I just did my painting horozontaly as much as possible and the paint just flowed out very smoothly. That was just what this newbie needed. I don't have any knowledge of using latex but you should research if there would be a weight difference between that and poly-tone. I use a rotax 447 which makes this plane a hotrod for my 150 pound body. I'm off the ground before the throttle is full.(Flying off a paved runway) I also would highly recommend the Grand Rapids unit to monitor the engine. Knowing what the EGT and CHT are doing is important. The GR unit is very accurate. I used those readings to set my IVO prop to the right pitch. The unit also has a warning light to let you know if anything is getting out of hand. My EGT goes up very quickly when I unload the prop during flight (nose down as one example) or if my rpms are in the midrange area for very long. Also the weight of the finished firefly will likely be critical. I opted to go with the standard no brakes, short windshield, no electric start kit and came in just under the legal weight limit. I go to a lot of pancake breakfast fly-ins though and don't see any ultralight police so you would probably be ok to do what you want. Use your own judgment on that. I wish I had some brakes and may do that someday but if you fly off grass, then brakes are not necessary. I have some videos on You tube. There is a walkaround and some flying videos. Just type my full name in the search field. I can't wait to build another plane. Hope you enjoy yours.

Regards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: