Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New thread title- kolb heaters, and survival

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: New thread title- kolb heaters, and survival Reply with quote

I have no problem with any way that one is able to keep warm while flying. There is one thought that I sometimes see ignored, and that is the ability to keep warm if for some reason you are forced down somewhere.

Granted where I live and fly, it is a matter of life and death. With the exception of one neighbor, there is no one closer than 15 or 20 miles depending on which direction I fly. Part of my "survival kit" is proper clothing and good walking shoes, because that is the most likely method of survival for me. My first "off field landing" that I had to make here turned out a lot better than it could have, but it had very important lessons in it. No one had any idea of where I might be flying, I had no way to contact anyone, and I wasn't prepared for the walk out that I had to do. Luckily I didn't break anything, other than my middle finger, so I was able to walk the 2 miles or so to a State Hwy. However no one would stop for a dirt covered man, who was too proud to grovel for help. I walked the four miles to the only country store in the area. ( its now closed) All of course ended well, but my feet were blistered, but I made it back home before the wife called out the local gendarmes to find me.

I now file a flight plan with the wife and stick to it, unless I can update her on the change. I also installed a base radio, use a "spot" and dress for the worst outcome. I have a first aid kit and any thing else that I can think of that would help. "Spare tire", Gorilla tape, toilet paper, (Sage makes lousy TP, and "monkey butt" is not conducive to walking. ) and a survival blanket.

Now to the point, if you are going to have to take that stuff along, you might as well wear it. Granted most of you are not flying in such a risky area, but don't neglect the worst case scenario preparation.
Larry
--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: New thread title- kolb heaters, and survival Reply with quote

Now to the point, if you are going to have to take that stuff along, you might as well wear it. Granted most of you are not flying in such a risky area, but don't neglect the worst case scenario preparation.

Larry

Quote:
When I fly in Larry's AO, and places like it, I usually have a sleeping bag and tent, plus rations and plenty water, plus a few other things to survive. I do the same thing when I am riding my ATV out West in sparsely populated areas. I can last a long time if I can make a fire, get in out of the cold, have water and some chow. I carry a PLB (personal locator beacon) which gives me a direct connection to SARSAT. If I ever get into a situation where this old fart thinks his personal safety or life is threatened, I won't hesitate to use it. So far I have never had to use one. All my crashes and airplane mechanical of aviating problems have been somewhere where I found help or was able to correct the problem myself, and continue on my way. Last flight I made West to the Rock House I ended up double tied down in a friendly ranchers yard next to a cedar break, put down on a muddy dirt road by a tremendous thunder storm in middle Kansas. Survived that one while visiting with the rancher and his wife in their home, which was without electricity after a couple minutes into the worst of the storm. There are some genuinely nice folks in this world, especially rural folks in sparsely populated areas. Photo attached file. john hmkIIITitus, Alabama - Raining all day and forecast to rain all night at hauck's holler. Plus it is cold and miserable. Nice inside the old lake house though. Got the fireplace roaring and plenty wood for a few more days before time to find and cut some more.
Quote:

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

DSCF0032-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.02 KB
 Viewed:  1375 Time(s)

DSCF0032-1.jpg

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: