Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gull wing doors vs bubble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taffy0687(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Gull wing doors vs bubble Reply with quote

Dave ---- I appreciate your inputs, but I feel this is an area that can be beat to death------ same as: What model 601 do I build ??? This experimental airplane building consist of a lot of learning curves. A lot of decisions which have to be made, with a lot of them meaning making a compromise.
I have never liked the bubble canopy due to the fact it provides "no" roll over protection.--- I would rather take my chances of being able to open one door or the other.------ If I decide getting out might be a problem I'll install a "canopy brake-out knife", similar to what was in the old F-100's. ( only a lighter model)--------(F-100 Super Sabre, jet fighter about 1955 era) I will admit, it is easy to "Monday morning quarterback" after an accident and say: "Maybe he should have done something different"
The gentleman that was decapitated in Canada several years ago, while making a "no canopy" landing and hit some power lines might still be alive today if he had had a fixed windshield with the center bar like Cherokee's have. (please correct me if I am wrong about this tragic accident.)
About my canopy design, I built a mock-up ( on the airplane from "junk aluminum") than sat in the airplane and made the "proper adjustments" to what I wanted in my airplane. I ended up: raising the height of the windshild frame -----1 1/2" from my orginial layout, making the sides of the windshield a little straighter with less curve. My doors will look very similar to the doors on the CH 2000. The height of the canopy frame, measured between the seats--- I kept the same as "the bubble". The aft canopy /roll over bar is angle braced to the two tubes whichwhich meet at the top forward skin over the baggage compartment. The aft skin will slant down at about a 40 degree angle with a porthole window on each side.----------UGLY ?? probably to some, but it is what I wanted.
My airplane is built to plans, so if anyone didn't like my canopy system they could remove it and install the "bubble canopy".
Not wishing to start a firestorm--- but, just giving my opinion on the gullwing doors vs. bubble canopy----------- "I yield the remainder of my time, Mr. Speaker"
Fritz ------- Corvair-----plans building----- 90/90

Dave <daberti(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Fritz, I applaud your decision to build the gull wing canopy but a builder
in my EAA chapter put this setup on his 601HD...It was the worst thing I
ever tried to get into and out from.. And if there was ever a fire forget
about getting out. Now maybe your doors are longer than his were, and the
longer, the better, would be my take as based on his setup. Now if your
windows slide down into the fuselage like the Aerocoupe, I think it would
also work better.

Dave 601-HD 912ULS
..........3) scratch
Quote:
building allows you to design your own cockpit enclosure instead of using
the "bubble canopy"------- I am going to use a fixed windshield, gull wing
doors and rear window design as several other folks have done. ( I have
my

Quote:
canopy frame ready for welding)
by opinion only
Fritz -- Corvair, scratch building, 90/90

Attachment: http://www.matronics.com/enclosures/88711a3e96b4485d30ff6ecc9afffbb7cc2d048a.bmp

---------------------------------
Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: