Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Flight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Hi All,

I finally made it.

Last week the final paperwork from the CAA arrived and on Wednesday Wendy drove me to Doncaster where we spent the night.
Thursday morning she dropped me at the airfield the dealer, Mike Moulai, operates from and headed home.

Mike gave me a half a dozen check flights and we played with the plane all day. Mainly trying to get the oil pressure up. In the evening I did a couple of circuits solo with no trouble. I haven`t flown a tail dragger for years neither have I flown from concrete but experiencd no problem although my landings were a bit untidy. Friday morning around ten o clock having waited for the haze to clear I flew with Mike in the second seat navigating, nearly 200 miles to my home strip. Visibility improved as we headed south and the the thermals began to kick in. I have a glider variometer fitted and we were getting steady 8/9 knot bumps. The Xtra rode it all very well and felt extremely steady.

We refuelled at an airfield around halfway home and apart from trying to take off with the brakes on I managed OK.

The Jabiru performed faultlessly apart from the oil pressure,

Nearing home we flew through the local MATZ, with permission, something I had never done being strictly non radio, which meant that we approached my strip from the north, an entirley new perspective for me and I had trouble finding my own strip. The fact the the field had been cut for hay since I last saw it didn`t help either.

It was a bit lumpy on the approach with a slight cross wind but around 55 mph on the ASI and a full flap landing put us safely home around 12.50.

Unfortunately my hangar is still full of Challenger so I had the experience of de rigging the Kolb for the first time, on my own. I shall do it better next time

I thoroughly enjoyed my first extended flight in the Kolb. She was easy to fly, Although that flap lever is a pain. She has much more arrow stability than the Challenger and held her course, feet off the pedals, easily.

Unfortunately we have had guests over the weekend and I have been unable to fly again and it looks as though it will be next weken now before the weather clears up again.
Thanks to everyone on the list for the knowledge they have contributed.

Cheers

Pat

do not archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed my first extended flight in the Kolb. She was
easy to fly, Although that flap lever is a pain. She has much more
arrow stability than the Challenger and held her course, feet off the
pedals, easily.

Pat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick:

Good for you.

I know you are happy to finally get some air time in your new bird and
have it home to its roost.

Bet your oil pressure problem is the sender. We have problems on the
912's with oil pressure senders. Seems the vibration tends to shorten
their lives and scrambles their brains.

Take care,

john h

mkIII

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
tkrolfe(at)usadatanet.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

pat ladd wrote:

Quote:
Hi All,

I finally made it.

Last week the final paperwork from the CAA arrived and on Wednesday Wendy drove me to Doncaster where we spent the night.
Thursday morning she dropped me at the airfield the dealer, Mike Moulai, operates from and headed home.

Mike gave me a half a dozen check flights and we played with the plane all day. Mainly trying to get the oil pressure up. In the evening I did a couple of circuits solo with no trouble. I haven`t flown a tail dragger for years neither have I flown from concrete but experiencd no problem although my landings were a bit untidy. Friday morning around ten o clock having waited for the haze to clear I flew with Mike in the second seat navigating, nearly 200 miles to my home strip. Visibility improved as we headed south and the the thermals began to kick in. I have a glider variometer fitted and we were getting steady 8/9 knot bumps. The Xtra rode it all very well and felt extremely steady.

We refuelled at an airfield around halfway home and apart from trying to take off with the brakes on I managed OK.

The Jabiru performed faultlessly apart from the oil pressure,

Nearing home we flew through the local MATZ, with permission, something I had never done being strictly non radio, which meant that we approached my strip from the north, an entirley new perspective for me and I had trouble finding my own strip. The fact the the field had been cut for hay since I last saw it didn`t help either.

It was a bit lumpy on the approach with a slight cross wind but around 55 mph on the ASI and a full flap landing put us safely home around 12.50.

Unfortunately my hangar is still full of Challenger so I had the experience of de rigging the Kolb for the first time, on my own. I shall do it better next time

I thoroughly enjoyed my first extended flight in the Kolb. She was easy to fly, Although that flap lever is a pain. She has much more arrow stability than the Challenger and held her course, feet off the pedals, easily.

Unfortunately we have had guests over the weekend and I have been unable to fly again and it looks as though it will be next weken now before the weather clears up again.
Thanks to everyone on the list for the knowledge they have contributed.

Cheers

Pat

do not archive

Pat,

Way to go!!!!! All the hard work has paid off for you. Enjoy!!!!

Terry - FireFly #95

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Quote:

I finally made it.
Cheers

Pat

Pat, here's an attaboy from western New York state.

fly safe.
BB do not archive

Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: First Flight Reply with quote

Pat, I am pleased for you! Soon! Soon, I too will be up there in mine. It is ready for me and within the next several weeks, I will exit the Challenger and enter the Firestar.

Lately, with the air warming up early in the day, I have been getting wind effects from the side about twice the heigth of flair. They have caused me to do a great deal of moving of hands and feet in order to come down in the center and keep the nose up. Why, one time I had to spit out my chewing gum cause I forgot which thing to concentrate on more! The air seemed calm but not at that altitude. I thought it was only me, however the State Patrolman / student after me also had more difficulty than me. Callengers and full flaps, both something I won't need to tackle soon, very soon.

Steady as she goes, and center bubble Ohio Ralph

biglar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Congratulations, Pat. That's the best news I've heard in a long time.
Lar. Do not Archive.

---

"Vamoose"
Bob Dalton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Congrat's Pat!

Bob D.

Do not archive

--

Kirk Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Jolly good show old chap!!!!
Hi All,

I finally made it.

Pat

esteuber(at)rochester.rr.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Pat,
Good Show Old Chap ! Sorry , I could not resist the remark !
I think you will find the Kolb in comparison to the Challenger has a more balanced feel in relation to the way the rudder and aileron ratio is , although the Challenger flys well .
Now ...if I can just get the last coat of dope on the Ultrastar I too can have some fun ...although I was working my AgCat this morning spraying the top of a 30 acre greenhouse with water soluble paint...(filter light for light sensitive crops)..but that's not the same...that's work !
Have fun with your new toy...
Ed in Western NY

herbgh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Ed

margiewanna that light sensitive?? Smile sorry, could not resist..!!

My good wishes to Pat and his Extra also.. Many great hours of
aviating...

I would like to have Pat give us a flight comparison between his
Challenger and the Extra. Herb

Do not archive.

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:15:14 -0400 "Edward Steuber"
<esteuber(at)rochester.rr.com> writes:
Quote:

<esteuber(at)rochester.rr.com>

Pat,
Good Show Old Chap ! Sorry , I could not resist the remark !
I think you will find the Kolb in comparison to the Challenger
has a more balanced feel in relation to the way the rudder and
aileron ratio is , although the Challenger flys well .
Now ...if I can just get the last coat of dope on the
Ultrastar I too can have some fun ...although I was working my AgCat
this morning spraying the top of a 30 acre greenhouse with water
soluble paint...(filter light for light sensitive crops)..

Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: First Flight Reply with quote

Amazing. "herbgh" asked the same question I wanted answers too also! Comparison of Challenger to Kolb. But even better, a NEW Kolb flier. You would be more sensitive to the variations.

Ohio ralph

Bob Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Good for you Pat ! Hope you enjoy many hrs. of flying your Kolb.
Fly Safe
Bob Griffin
Upstate NY (not everyone lives in the city) ha / ha.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

I would like to have Pat give us a flight comparison between his
Challenger and the Extra.>>

Hi All,

I think that a real comparison is a bit premature. After all I only have
four solo landings in the Kolb to my credit. A couple at the dealers field,
one at the refueling point on my home flight, and one at my home strip.

However first impressions are that ther Xtra has much better longitudanal
stability. Quite a lump of X-country was flown with my feet off the pedals.
I don`t think that would work of the Challenger. Of course it is difficult
to judge as you cannot take your feet off the pedals in the Challenger as
there is nowhere to put them Certainly it was nice to be able to stretch my
legs so I suppose that comfort must be a plus for the Kolb. Kolb seats are
better than the Challenger. Ailerons didn`t seem too heavy.

It was quite thermic flying home. Lumps of 8/9 knots on the vario. and it
was really no problem. In the Challenger, being a lighter machine, it would
have been quite rough.

Landing the Kolb has not been any more difficult than landing the
Challenger, so far. The tail has just touched down before the mains but
quite gently. The flap lever is awful. Having to reach across my body to the
right side with the left hand is just ridiculous. There has to be a better
way but it is very very difficult to change anything that major without
almost going through the entire engineering process again that I guess that
I shall just have to get used to it.

Being in the Kolb enclosure gave a quite spurious impression of safety
against the Challenger which I built without doors.

Bad part is that I have had the Kolb home for over a week now and have been
unable to fly as I have been to the coast. The weather has been great (of
course) and I was expecting to fly tomorrow, Sunday. However Wendy has just
told me that we are out to lunch tomorrow so that more or less b--gg---s up
the whole day as I have the plane folded up and rigging, flying and then de
rigging again is going to take too much time.
I really thought I had sold the Challenger and would be able to use my
hangar for the Xtra but the sale just fell through.!

Further reports in due course as I learn something about flying Kolbs.

Thanks to everyone for their best of luck messages.

Cheers

Pat

do not archive

--

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

At 05:39 PM 6/24/06 +0100, you wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
...................... Ailerons didn`t seem too heavy.

Pat,

How does this compare with the Challenger?

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

How does this compare with the Challenger?>>

Hi Jack,
this was regarding ailerons. It is not just the weight of the ailerons. The
Kolb will be heavy in roll without the use of rudder.. The Challenger wont
go round AT ALL without a bootful of leading rudder.

On the other hand a Challenger will sideslip beautifully. I think the Kolb
with full flap will go down almost as steeply I just haven`t the ecperience
yet, but I like to sideslip.

Cheers

Pat

do not archive

--

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

Bet your oil pressure problem is the sender>>

Thanks John,

we tested that. Also putting an extra washer under the spring and switching
to a different viscosity oil. No joy. It may be the instrument itself. We
will make it in time. Seemed to make no difference to the engine .

Cheers

Pat

do not archive

--

rlaird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: First Flight Reply with quote

S'ok, Pat, you can say "buggers"... most Americans don't understand
it*, anyway. Smile

On 6/24/06, pat ladd <pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com> wrote:
Quote:
told me that we are out to lunch tomorrow so that more or less b--gg---s up

* I mean, we know what it means, but it doesn't have that same raw
feel that it does to you Brits.

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
tkrolfe(at)usadatanet.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: First flight Reply with quote

Gene,

Cool pictures!   Didn't know about the Easy-Riser, what year was that?

Terry

Eugene Zimmerman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: First flight Reply with quote

Thanks Terry,

It was Spring of 1980.

Hope to meet up with you in the air again soon.

On Jul 2, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Terry wrote:

Quote:
Gene,

Cool pictures! Didn't know about the Easy-Riser, what year was that?

Terry

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: First flight Reply with quote

My first flight as PIC????????? was in my current Firestar II. To my
surprise, I survived it since it was not intentional.
Larry, Oregon

Do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: