Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B&C alternator conversion in Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samira.h(at)shaw.ca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: B&C alternator conversion in Canada Reply with quote

Hi again,

I was wondering if anybody knows how
to get an alternator conversion approved
by Transport Canada?

Who do I have to contact?

What paperwork is required?

Do I need a LSTC?

How much would that whole
scenario be in total, is it worth
the cost and effort?

Thank you again.

cheers

Elmar

P.S.: So far I am pretty lucky with the generator
system on my CJ but it has no over-voltage
protection. What if the regulator goes TU
and the bus voltage rises to a point where it
fries expensive avionics?

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
milescrane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: B&C alternator conversion in Canada Reply with quote

We installed a B&C alternator on our Yak 55 (the one marketed for the Sukhoi) and did save about 25lb. This is the low output, permanent magnet type.
It came with a solid state regulator and overvoltage protection. The weight saving came primarily from the removal of the generator, and also from the old carbon pile regulator and relay box.

The positives so far are: improved power-to-weight ratio and aerobatic performance, and a smoothly operating charging system that works well even at low engine speeds.
As for the negatives, we found that it was difficult and confusing to sort out the existing wiring in our -55, for which we could find no diagrams, although everyone we talked to said it was 'easy'. We routed the wires as much as possible with the existing bundles and removed wires which we identified as being non-functional. We traced one fault after the install to an original wire to a CB on the panel, that appeared intact but had failed internally- due to flexing, we think.
The wiring turned out to be a greater challenge than it should have been. A few maintenance professionals were scratching their heads along with us.

I would recommend conferring with Transport Canada M&M first. They will likely require documentation of all phases of the installation including the suitability of the physical mounting of the alternator and regulator, gauges and support of the wiring, etc.

If we were not flying contest aerobatics, we would have left the generator in. Now that the alternator is in, we are happy with how it is performing.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jan.mevis(at)informavia.b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: B&C alternator conversion in Canada Reply with quote

I had the permanent magnet 10 amp B&C some years ago.
One day, the overvoltage protection AND the regulator were severely
damaged, because too large a current was drawn.
I replaced it with the more robust 35 amp type.
The 35 amp type is just slightly heavier than the 10 amp, but has a much
better voltage regulating system.

Jan

On 03/03/14 04:36, "milescrane" <milescrane(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

We installed a B&C alternator on our Yak 55 (the one marketed for the
Sukhoi) and did save about 25lb. This is the low output, permanent
magnet type.
It came with a solid state regulator and overvoltage protection. The
weight saving came primarily from the removal of the generator, and also
from the old carbon pile regulator and relay box.

The positives so far are: improved power-to-weight ratio and aerobatic
performance, and a smoothly operating charging system that works well
even at low engine speeds.
As for the negatives, we found that it was difficult and confusing to
sort out the existing wiring in our -55, for which we could find no
diagrams, although everyone we talked to said it was 'easy'. We routed
the wires as much as possible with the existing bundles and removed wires
which we identified as being non-functional. We traced one fault after
the install to an original wire to a CB on the panel, that appeared
intact but had failed internally- due to flexing, we think.
The wiring turned out to be a greater challenge than it should have been.
A few maintenance professionals were scratching their heads along with us.

I would recommend conferring with Transport Canada M&M first. They will
likely require documentation of all phases of the installation including
the suitability of the physical mounting of the alternator and regulator,
gauges and support of the wiring, etc.

If we were not flying contest aerobatics, we would have left the
generator in. Now that the alternator is in, we are happy with how it is
performing.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=419687#419687

mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: B&C alternator conversion in Canada Reply with quote

All: I love the B&C company, and the owner is just a great guy!

That said, I do not recommend the small 10 amp PMG generator for anyone other than those wanting to save every last ounce of weight, usually for aerobatic purposes.

Most Yak, CJ, and Sukhoi owners run two 12 volt gel cells in series. The ones that come with the PMG mentioned above are very small. Over time these will slowly degrade. What typically happens then is that with a large current draw of any type, it will short out the voltage regulator and allow unregulated voltage to increase with engine RPM. The kit includes an over-voltage protection kit, which is basically a crow-bar circuit that causes a direct short, which in turn pops a circuit breaker, which in turn allows a relay to open, thus removing the Alternator/PMG output to the aircrafts electrical bus. This is a very simple over-voltage protection circuit, but the down side of is that "it takes time to work". Meaning, that you can still have unregulated voltage on the main aircraft bus long enough to cause extensive avionics damage. The solution is very simple.... keep your batteries in perfect condition and this will rarely..... if ever ...... occur. Having repaired three aircraft that ignored this advice, I can tell you with firm confidence that if you let the batteries degrade with this design, it WILL happen.

To: milescrane(at)gmail.com

All of the Russian electrical designs for these aircraft (Yak/Sukhoi) are ALMOST identical. The layout of where the parts happen to end up is different, but the design is the same. If you still have questions about it, let me know and I would be glad to help. I have pictures of the main electrical panel of the 55 SOMEWHERE on my computer. Sad I lose things in the vast warehouse of the hard drive all the time. Smile

In short, the 10 amp B&C is a product directed at a very specific market, and is not a good choice for anyone outside of that sphere.

As Jan mentioned, the SK35 with the LS-1A regulator is a much better choice for the majority of folks flying Yaks, Sukes, or CJ's. It is a true alternator with a Field Winding, and is more robust for the majority of needs. If you have a ton of electrical additions, then the SK55 of course.

Mark
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: