Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod Reply with quote

Ron,
Very important and interesting question.

My long range tank is 7 years and can be treated as brand new.

I know a builder that filled the tank with fuel 6 month before mounting it into the cockpit module.
According to the builder in question no deformations can be found at all.
A tips from Nev. Very smart I may add.

I handed over this information to a new builder in Norway and ask him to measure the width of the tank before filling it with fuel.
Make the same measurements after 5-6 month. According to the builder the width was more than 15mm wider.
This will introduce stress in the material due the fact that tank cannot expand width wise in the cockpit module. Without any doubt.

My conclusions were:

1. I should fill my tank with fuel before mounting it into the module

2. The material itself is probably not the major problem. It is how it is mounted

I have checked how the tank is mounted in most cars: strapped on the floor That will give the tank freedom to expand.

Clear skies and tail winds

Stephan Cassel
LN-STE mono

Sendt fra Windows E-post

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
spcialeffects

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod Reply with quote

Hello stephan. Well I put off bonding in my cockpit module because of this very subject as it seemed that quite a few reports of tanks splitting we're emerging just as I was about to bond in my tank. I filled my tank with fuel for 6 months prior to bonding it in and yes it does swell by quite abit but I think this is not only due to fuel getting into the actual material but the weight of the fuel. What I gathered from everything I read was that the tanks were splitting due to being bonded into the module tight against the cockpit wall this giving the tank no we're to swell once filled with fuel. I made a cradle for the tank to sit in and bonded that to the cockpit so my tank is actually "floating" in place. I will post a few pics later. Hope that helps. Frank

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

spcialeffects

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod Reply with quote

I copied this idea from someone else, think i saw it on the europa org site so all credit to them.

swollen tank.jpg
 Description:
This is the back of the tank after 4/5 months of having fuel in it.
 Filesize:  36.49 KB
 Viewed:  3064 Time(s)

swollen tank.jpg

cradle lay up.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.79 KB

cradle lay up.jpg

trimed and ready.jpg
 Description:
Looks good
 Filesize:  55.95 KB

trimed and ready.jpg

gap behind tank.jpg
 Description:
See the gap between the rear of the tank and the cockpit module rear bulkhead
 Filesize:  57.21 KB

gap behind tank.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: