Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear wing pins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Rear wing pins Reply with quote

I am almost at the pre-flight inspection stage of my Classic Europa high top (kit No. 032) I purchased third hand. Having recently seen the Classic wing build manual I am concerned over the location of the rear wing pins.
While the W23 plates are correctly located the wing pins are 24mm above and 5mm rearward of the centre lines of the W23 plates. Mod 52 has been carried out and signed off.

While I think I know the answer to my first question I’m going to ask it anyway.
1) Do I have to relocate the pins to the centre of the W23 plates?
2) If I have to relocate the pins can I use the existing W23 plates. If I can I propose to “fill” the existing holes with the threaded portion of the old wing pins bonded in position with redux.
All suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil B

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

spcialeffects

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wing pins Reply with quote

Kit number 032...... Wow that's been a long while! I'm building number 165 and like you bought it third hand. I was lucky as only the fin had been made and it had been very well stored. These early kits really weren't all that well constructed IMHO. I have yet to put my sockets into place but am expecting difficulties as another classic builder has just had to reposition the hard points in the fuselage to get a nice fit/placement. There should be a tread on here about it. This is the best way to correct the problem BUT as your so near the end may not be practical. With your inspectors advice I'm sure the plates in the wing can be removed and replaced in the correct positions. Should this be the way you go alignment of the plates is key. Good luck

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

christoph.both(at)acadiau

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Rear wing pins Reply with quote

With my reasonably early kit (223) I had to replace two hard points in the
fuselage (both forward. However, replacing these is quite straight forward
compared with re-doing the 6 layup stack of alu plates in the wing roots.
If the root plates appear in great shape and the pins/ are central all the
way I would leave them alone and make the change on the fuselage. Cut
outer surface only on the fuse, dig out the PVC foam, pad with flox, after
abrading and alodyning, squidge the new hard point alu plates in (get the
correct hardness and thickness), flox over, and then 3-4 layers of BID
over this. The bump will all disappear under the hard point lay ups later
when you set the wing incidence. Save your time for the sanding - been
there! Its all worth it once its finished and flying, trust me!
All the best!
Christoph Both #223 Classic
Nova Scotia, Canada

On 2014-04-22, 11:10 AM, "spcialeffects" <spcialeffects(at)aol.com> wrote:

Quote:

Kit number 032...... Wow that's been a long while! I'm building number
165 and like you bought it third hand. I was lucky as only the fin had
been made and it had been very well stored. These early kits really
weren't all that well constructed IMHO. I have yet to put my sockets into
place but am expecting difficulties as another classic builder has just
had to reposition the hard points in the fuselage to get a nice
fit/placement. There should be a tread on here about it. This is the best
way to correct the problem BUT as your so near the end may not be
practical. With your inspectors advice I'm sure the plates in the wing
can be removed and replaced in the correct positions. Should this be the
way you go alignment of the plates is key. Good luck

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=422244#422244

Phil B

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wing pins Reply with quote

After a long wait I finally managed to get the correct grade of aluminium sheet from Karen at Europa (Swift) and cut the W23 plates myself.
Unfortunately when I drilled the first plate I got the alignment wrong and now need to replace these plates again.
I spoke to Karen last week but got no positive response. Now I find she's out of the office until the 23rd June.
I have 2 questions:-
Karen told me the plates are 6082 grade aluminium but does anyone know which type of aluminium grade 6082 (ie. 0, T4, T6 or T651)?
Does anyone have a piece of the correct type of aluminium grade 6082 1/8th inch thick about 4" X 5" I can buy and of course pay postage, etc?

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: