Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stick Grips NOW TRIM MOTOR AND RELAY DECK.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Stick Grips NOW TRIM MOTOR AND RELAY DECK. Reply with quote

Hi! William.
The question initially has revolved around the length of the control stick and loads needed when out of maximum trim.
My issue was nothing to do with the trim motor, however in your position you should plan the securing of it so that you would be able to remove it in an unlikely eventuality of failure because when the top is on it is a bastard to access.   However recently there was much chat about the plastic  clevises needing 1/8” removed from their threaded ends before linking them with the brass threaded rod to facilitate more movement of the trim and stabilators on final inspection.( Hopefully you picked up on that ?)
My trim reversal problem was not to do with the trim motor but the relay deck it had an inherent fault which became masked once the motor had travelled to full trim and I had numerous major debates with the Menzemer chaps always culminating in them alleging my wiring was at fault. Until one day I had yet another event and when I contacted them I discovered that they were now supplying the MARK II relay deck which is faultless but of different shape also making it an arse to shift things around on the back of the panel.
You need to shout out on the Europa Club pages as to how many others have had this problem and then probably “bite the bullet” and get the MARK II fitted and done with it.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of William Daniell
Sent: 10 June 2014 14:50
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Stick Grips

Thanks...but you had a runaway trim? if is was a particular model I am wondering whether I shd change my trim motor (Mac) prior to putting the top on (I cant imgaine this is much fun with the top on!)

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Bob Harrison <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net (ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net)> wrote:
Hi! William
................Just don’t shorten the control stick .....use the bent one and fix it by rotating it to best position.
Regards
Bob Harrison.

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of William Daniell
Sent: 10 June 2014 13:20
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)

whassat....Bob I dont remember that issue can you enlighten on the trim issue please

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT
[url=tel:%2B57%20310%20295%200744]+57 310 295 0744[/url]

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:56 AM, Lance Sandford <sandford(at)melbpc.org.au (sandford(at)melbpc.org.au)> wrote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Lance Sandford <sandford(at)melbpc.org.au (sandford(at)melbpc.org.au)>

Bob

Thanks Bob. That is about what I suspected.

Regards

Lance Sandford
On 10/06/14 18:09, Bob Harrison wrote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Bob Harrison" <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net (ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net)>

Answer:- NO SHORTER WHATEVER. TO LAND FULLY NOSE UP TRIM IT WOULD BE Extremely difficult on your own ! but power assisted by the passenger probably ! But the extreme loads are a question over the mechanical strengths of the linkages ! When I had to go to fully trimmed up to get the damn relay deck to reverse it was easier to let it go fully nose up trim and pray the deck would let itself reverse when it got to the end of travel. Been there done that when Menzimer was insisting my problem was wiring when in actual fact they eventually discovered that the end of the travel by the relay masked the actual problem in the relay . Since I fitted the MARK II relay deck never a problem !!!!!
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Stick Grips NOW TRIM MOTOR AND RELAY DECK. Reply with quote

yes i picked up on that and I am going to assemble the whole thing for the upteenth time.

I am showing my ignorance but what is the relay deck?  I just have a mac servo on the tail bulkhead, an up/down switch and an indicator light ...

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Bob Harrison <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net (ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi! William.
The question initially has revolved around the length of the control stick and loads needed when out of maximum trim.
My issue was nothing to do with the trim motor, however in your position you should plan the securing of it so that you would be able to remove it in an unlikely eventuality of failure because when the top is on it is a bastard to access.   However recently there was much chat about the plastic  clevises needing 1/8” removed from their threaded ends before linking them with the brass threaded rod to facilitate more movement of the trim and stabilators on final inspection.( Hopefully you picked up on that ?)
My trim reversal problem was not to do with the trim motor but the relay deck it had an inherent fault which became masked once the motor had travelled to full trim and I had numerous major debates with the Menzemer chaps always culminating in them alleging my wiring was at fault. Until one day I had yet another event and when I contacted them I discovered that they were now supplying the MARK II relay deck which is faultless but of different shape also making it an arse to shift things around on the back of the panel.
You need to shout out on the Europa Club pages as to how many others have had this problem and then probably “bite the bullet” and get the MARK II fitted and done with it.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of William Daniell

Thanks...but you had a runaway trim?  if is was a particular model I am wondering whether I shd change my trim motor (Mac) prior to putting the top on  (I cant imgaine this is much fun with the top on!)

William Daniell

LONGPORT

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Bob Harrison <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net (ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net)> wrote:
Hi! William
...............Just don’t shorten the control stick ......use the bent one and fix it by rotating it to best position.
Regards
Bob Harrison.

whassat....Bob I dont remember that issue can you enlighten on the trim issue please

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:56 AM, Lance Sandford <sandford(at)melbpc.org.au (sandford(at)melbpc.org.au)> wrote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Lance Sandford <sandford(at)melbpc.org.au (sandford(at)melbpc.org.au)>

Bob

Regards

Lance Sandford
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Bob Harrison" <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net (ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net)>

Answer:- NO SHORTER WHATEVER.  TO LAND FULLY NOSE UP TRIM IT WOULD BE Extremely difficult on your own ! but power assisted by the passenger probably ! But the extreme loads are a question over the mechanical strengths of the linkages !  When I had to go to fully trimmed up to get the damn relay deck to reverse it was easier to let it go fully nose up trim and pray the deck would let itself reverse when it got to the end of travel. Been there done that when Menzimer was insisting my problem was wiring when in actual fact they eventually discovered that the end of the travel by the relay masked the actual problem in the relay . Since I fitted the MARK II relay deck never a problem !!!!!
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Stick Grips NOW TRIM MOTOR AND RELAY DECK. Reply with quote

Hi Bob and William,
Here is the relay deck. Not sure why we need one, or if, as to my knowledge I was never supplied one, nor have I checked the manual to see if it is included in the wiring diagram. Pretty remiss of Europa if the servo actually needs one of these things, which is why I am wondering if it is a mod, Bob. It says for every servo you need one of these relays. Does anyone know what they actually do, and why it states they are needed? I can run my servo directly from a 12 V power supply with no problem.
Regards
Tony Renshaw

Sent from my iPad

On 11 Jun 2014, at 1:51 am, "Bob Harrison" <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net (ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net)> wrote:
[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Hi! William.
My issue was nothing to do with the trim motor, however in your position you should plan the securing of it so that you would be able to remove it in an unlikely eventuality of failure because when the top is on it is a bastard to access. However recently there was much chat about the plastic clevises needing 1/8” removed from their threaded ends before linking them with the brass threaded rod to facilitate more movement of the trim and stabilators on final inspection.( Hopefully you picked up on that ?)
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

Thanks...but you had a runaway trim? if is was a particular model I am wondering whether I shd change my trim motor (Mac) prior to putting the top on (I cant imgaine this is much fun with the top on!)

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

Hi! William
................Just don’t shorten the control stick ......use the bent one and fix it by rotating it to best position.
Regards
Bob Harrison.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Stick Grips

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT

Bob

Regards

Lance Sandford

Answer:- NO SHORTER WHATEVER. TO LAND FULLY NOSE UP TRIM IT WOULD BE Extremely difficult on your own ! but power assisted by the passenger probably ! But the extreme loads are a question over the mechanical strengths of the linkages ! When I had to go to fully trimmed up to get the damn relay deck to reverse it was easier to let it go fully nose up trim and pray the deck would let itself reverse when it got to the end of travel. Been there done that when Menzimer was insisting my problem was wiring when in actual fact they eventually discovered that the end of the travel by the relay masked the actual problem in the relay . Since I fitted the MARK II relay deck never a problem !!!!!
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Stick Grips NOW TRIM MOTOR AND RELAY DECK. Reply with quote

Hi! Tony William and all,
Hey ! Don’t put me down as an authority on all things electrical please. No way am I competent in this regard. However I would expect that a relay does two things  One :- it acts as a preliminary switching device to save full power going through your micro switches .  Two :- it ensures that the polarity of the current is not crossed in a circuit that employs reversed current operation.(Like in duplicated switching of the same operation from both panel and control stick top.
The original Europa Kit no doubt presumed that you will utilise a switch big enough to handle full power but then left you to get the switches !
NOW perhaps someone will pop their heads and help you with some better knowledge on subject than me. please.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tony Renshaw
Sent: 10 June 2014 23:50
Subject: Re: Stick Grips NOW TRIM MOTOR AND RELAY DECK.

Hi Bob and William,

Here is the relay deck. Not sure why we need one, or if, as to my knowledge I was never supplied one, nor have I checked the manual to see if it is included in the wiring diagram. Pretty remiss of Europa if the servo actually needs one of these things, which is why I am wondering if it is a mod, Bob. It says for every servo you need one of these relays. Does anyone know what they actually do, and why it states they are needed? I can run my servo directly from a 12 V power supply with no problem.

Regards

Tony Renshaw

Sent from my iPad
On 11 Jun 2014, at 1:51 am, "Bob Harrison" <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net (ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net)> wrote:
[quote]
Hi! William.
My issue was nothing to do with the trim motor, however in your position you should plan the securing of it so that you would be able to remove it in an unlikely eventuality of failure because when the top is on it is a bastard to access. However recently there was much chat about the plastic clevises needing 1/8” removed from their threaded ends before linking them with the brass threaded rod to facilitate more movement of the trim and stabilators on final inspection.( Hopefully you picked up on that ?)
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

Hi! William
................Just don’t shorten the control stick .....use the bent one and fix it by rotating it to best position.
Regards
Bob Harrison.

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT

Bob

Regards

Lance Sandford

Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

brian.davies(at)clara.co.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Stick Grips NOW TRIM MOTOR AND RELAY DECK. Reply with quote

Tony,

You only need one if you are controlling trim from more than one source. e.g. panel switch and stick grip switches or both stick grips.  The standard Europa configuration does not need a relay deck.

Regards

Brian

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tony Renshaw

Hi Bob and William,

Regards

Tony Renshaw

Sent from my iPad
[quote]
Hi! William.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

Hi! William
Regards
Bob Harrison.

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT

Bob

Regards

Lance Sandford

Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

gavanne(at)iconz.co.nz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Stick Grips NOW TRIM MOTOR AND RELAY DECK. Reply with quote

Correct, if you do not use a relay deck you will need to use a separate switch to switch between which trim switch you want to operate the trim from
Go to rayallencompany.com and they will have a wiring diagram for different combinations of switching. One of which will suit yours
Regards
Gavin Lee...... ZK-EPA

On 11/06/2014, at 10:48 pm, "Brian Davies" <brian.davies(at)clara.co.uk (brian.davies(at)clara.co.uk)> wrote:
[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Tony,

You only need one if you are controlling trim from more than one source. e.g. panel switch and stick grip switches or both stick grips. The standard Europa configuration does not need a relay deck.

Regards

Brian

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Tony Renshaw

Hi Bob and William,

Regards

Tony Renshaw

Sent from my iPad
[quote]
Hi! William.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

Hi! William
................Just don’t shorten the control stick ......use the bent one and fix it by rotating it to best position.
Regards
Bob Harrison.

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT

Bob

Regards

Lance Sandford

Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: