Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baffling Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Baffling Question Reply with quote

I am trying to fit the CB-1001A Front Baffle (Ref. Page FF2-14) which as shown on the plans, should fit snugly over and around the MT P-420-3 propeller governor.

Vans sent me the MT P-860-3 propeller governor with my Firewall Forward kit, which is now installed on my engine. This governor has a lip around the front which prevents the CB-1001A Front Baffle from slipping over the governor.

I am tempted to cut the hole in the CB-1001A Front Baffle much larger, however this will then mean that I will need to seal around the opening in the CB-1001A, as once the baffle is over the front of the governor, the body of the governor reduces in diameter, leaving about a 1/4" gap around the governor to the edge of the hole in the CB-1001A.

Have I buggered up my interpretations of the plan, or does the new propeller governor just not fit the CB-1001A baffle as was originally intended?

If so, what are people using to seal the gap between the propeller governor and the CB-1001A.

After mucking around with these baffles, I can now see why people install plenums in lieu of baffles!

I'd appreciate your assistance and any links or photos that could assist me please.

Warm regards and thanks in anticipation.

Patrick Pulis
Adelaide, South Australia

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Baffling Question Reply with quote

That part is always hard to fit. You can trim it as necessary and then seal it (RTV works well). You could also use baffle seal to fill the gap.

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
jesse(at)itecusa.org
www.itecusa.org
www.mavericklsa.com
C: 352-427-0285
O: 352-465-4545
F: 815-377-3694

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jun 22, 2014, at 6:47 AM, Patrick Pulis <rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com.au> wrote:

I am trying to fit the CB-1001A Front Baffle (Ref. Page FF2-14) which as shown on the plans, should fit snugly over and around the MT P-420-3 propeller governor.

Vans sent me the MT P-860-3 propeller governor with my Firewall Forward kit, which is now installed on my engine. This governor has a lip around the front which prevents the CB-1001A Front Baffle from slipping over the governor.

I am tempted to cut the hole in the CB-1001A Front Baffle much larger, however this will then mean that I will need to seal around the opening in the CB-1001A, as once the baffle is over the front of the governor, the body of the governor reduces in diameter, leaving about a 1/4" gap around the governor to the edge of the hole in the CB-1001A.

Have I buggered up my interpretations of the plan, or does the new propeller governor just not fit the CB-1001A baffle as was originally intended?

If so, what are people using to seal the gap between the propeller governor and the CB-1001A.

After mucking around with these baffles, I can now see why people install plenums in lieu of baffles!

I'd appreciate your assistance and any links or photos that could assist me please.

Patrick Pulis

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Baffling Question Reply with quote

On 6/22/2014 6:47 AM, Patrick Pulis wrote:
Quote:

I think you've got it right!

Quote:
I haven't done it yet but I'm planning on a combination of fiberglass

sheet and the cowl seal material.
Quote:
I'm going to install a plenum .... I hate cowl seal. I also want to

convert the inlets to round ones. The reason I haven't done that
already is I'm on the fence with making my own or going the Sam James route.
Linn ..... just riveted on the fwd upper fuselage!!!

Quote:

Patrick Pulis
-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

rv10free2fly(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Baffling Question Reply with quote

Thanks Linn

Warm regards

Patrick

Quote:
On 22 Jun 2014, at 21:41, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> On 6/22/2014 6:47 AM, Patrick Pulis wrote:
>
>
> I am trying to fit the CB-1001A Front Baffle (Ref. Page FF2-14) which as shown on the plans, should fit snugly over and around the MT P-420-3 propeller governor.
>
> Vans sent me the MT P-860-3 propeller governor with my Firewall Forward kit, which is now installed on my engine. This governor has a lip around the front which prevents the CB-1001A Front Baffle from slipping over the governor.
>
> I am tempted to cut the hole in the CB-1001A Front Baffle much larger, however this will then mean that I will need to seal around the opening in the CB-1001A, as once the baffle is over the front of the governor, the body of the governor reduces in diameter, leaving about a 1/4" gap around the governor to the edge of the hole in the CB-1001A.
>
> Have I buggered up my interpretations of the plan, or does the new propeller governor just not fit the CB-1001A baffle as was originally intended?
I think you've got it right!
> If so, what are people using to seal the gap between the propeller governor and the CB-1001A.
I haven't done it yet but I'm planning on a combination of fiberglass sheet and the cowl seal material.
> After mucking around with these baffles, I can now see why people install plenums in lieu of baffles!
I'm going to install a plenum .... I hate cowl seal. I also want to convert the inlets to round ones. The reason I haven't done that already is I'm on the fence with making my own or going the Sam James route.

>
> I'd appreciate your assistance and any links or photos that could assist me please.
>
> Warm regards and thanks in anticipation.
>
> Patrick Pulis
> Adelaide, South Australia
> #40299
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Kellym

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Baffling Question Reply with quote

If you are on the fence, there is one more alternative that may be
better than Sam James: Showplanes RV-10 cowling....
http://tinyurl.com/ojlo6f5
No personal knowledge, just know it exists.

On 6/22/2014 5:11 AM, Linn Walters wrote:
Quote:

.... I hate cowl seal. I also want to convert the inlets to
round ones. The reason I haven't done that already is I'm on the
fence with making my own or going the Sam James route.

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Baffling Question Reply with quote

Thanks Kelly. Always good to have a couple of approaches. I already have the Van's cowl fitted and just can't justify pitching it. I'm enjoying the 'journey' and doing some mods to improve (I hope) the Van's approach.
I didn't like Van's alt air ...... I know, you can reset it after shutdown .... so I did this:

[img]cid:part1.08020702.04030205(at)cfl.rr.com[/img]

Because I can ......
I'd probably be flying by now if it wasn't for all the mods Razz
Linn

On 6/22/2014 8:45 AM, Kelly McMullen wrote:

Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> (kellym(at)aviating.com)

If you are on the fence, there is one more alternative that may be better than Sam James: Showplanes RV-10 cowling....
http://tinyurl.com/ojlo6f5
No personal knowledge, just know it exists.

On 6/22/2014 5:11 AM, Linn Walters wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com> (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com) .... I hate cowl seal. I also want to convert the inlets to round ones. The reason I haven't done that already is I'm on the fence with making my own or going the Sam James route.

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
06/21/14

alt_air_mod_01.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.55 KB
 Viewed:  5193 Time(s)

alt_air_mod_01.JPG

woxofswa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Baffling Question Reply with quote

I put a small piece of piano hinge on the back face of that baffle piece. That allowed me to have a nice tight fitting around the governor and be able to open the hole around the governor via the hinge to get it in and out easier.

Jackm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Baffling Question Reply with quote

Patrick.
Send email to jackm(at)vinetechequipment.com . I will reply with pictures of what we did. Prop cable is also routed above engine and left heat input is on rear right baffle. Prop cable above allows for better seal because you don't need to cut ramp for prop lever clearance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: