Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noisy USB Charger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Noisy USB Charger Reply with quote

I have seven years and 750 mostly trouble free flying hours on my Z 13-8 electrical system. I recently bought a Stratus 2 from Sporty's to give me inflight weather and TFRs on my iPad. To keep both the Stratus and the iPad charged on long cross country flights, I installed a cigar lighter and bought a dual USB charger to go into the cigar lighter socket.

I bought a dual power (2 USB ports, each 2.1 amps) USB charger from a nationally known pilot supply company. I tried it with just the Stratus 2 plugged in. After ten minutes, I started getting static on my communication radio (Garmin SL-30). At first, it was rapidly intermittent, sounding like some kind of code. After another ten minutes, it was constant static, sounding like it was breaking squelch. This happened on more than one communication frequency.

I've never had any radio frequency interference problems before.

Would something like these ferrite toroids help? A friend thought I should wind both the positive and negative supply wires around separate toroids.

https://www.amidoncorp.com/ft-50a-43c/

Thanks,
Dennis
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Noisy USB Charger Reply with quote

At 07:55 PM 7/7/2014, you wrote:
I have seven years and 750 mostly trouble free flying hours on my Z
13-8 electrical system. I recently bought a Stratus 2 from Sporty's
to give me inflight weather and TFRs on my iPad. To keep both the
Stratus and the iPad charged on long cross country flights, I
installed a cigar lighter and bought a dual USB charger to go into
the cigar lighter socket.

I bought a dual power (2 USB ports, each 2.1 amps) USB charger from a
nationally known pilot supply company. I tried it with just the
Stratus 2 plugged in. After ten minutes, I started getting static on
my communication radio (Garmin SL-30). At first, it was rapidly
intermittent, sounding like some kind of code. After another ten
minutes, it was constant static, sounding like it was breaking
squelch. This happened on more than one communication frequency.

I've never had any radio frequency interference problems before.

Would something like these ferrite toroids help? A friend thought I
should wind both the positive and negative supply wires around
separate toroids.

https://www.amidoncorp.com/ft-50a-43c/

Commercial off the shelf USB chargers for either
line-powered or 12v are at most qualified for FCC
Part 15 rules for radiated and conducted noise.
I've encountered some pretty noisy devices in
both venues.

If you want to 'tame' the device you have, any
experiments you want to conduct are not without
merit . . . but you may find it much more economical
to buy a couple of brands (they're cheap) and see
which one is friendly to your aircraft environment.

You can spend a lot of $time$ trying to civilize
a $10 gizmo.

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dennis Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Noisy USB Charger Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob, for your thoughts on my experience with USB chargers that produced noise on my comm radio. I bought the noisy charger from a major supplier of airplane stuff and they are sending me a free replacement. I'll give it a try.

In the meantime, I took your advice and tried a different brand of charger. I bought it at Wal-Mart and I'm happy to report that it is working fine. It is black, comes in a bubble pack, and can plug into both a 120 VAC wall outlet and a 12 VDC cigar lighter outlet. It cost less than $20. It has two, 2.1 amp USB receptacles.

Regarding the comments about iPads overheating, that is a common problem. A good friend estimated that an iPad generates about 5 watts in use and that the glass display, when exposed to direct sunlight, absorbs the equivalent of 50 watts. I know from experience that at 17,000', where there isn't a lot of air to help cool it, my iPad shuts down from overheating if I leave it exposed to direct sunlight for half an hour.

There is also some belief that charging in flight adds to the heat load, but I have not tested that.

So long as I don't put my iPad in the direct sun for half an hour, I have no overheating problems. It also helps to remove the iPad from its case to allow the aluminum back panel to dissipate heat.

Regarding panel mounting a USB charging port vs. a cigar lighter receptacle, I went the cigar lighter route. Mainly it was because I knew that some USB chargers were too noisy to use in an airplane and the cigar lighter method makes it simple to swap one charger for another until I find one that works. If I were going to hard wire a USB charger in the panel, I would be sure to thoroughly test it before cutting holes in the panel and soldering a bunch of wires.

Dennis
[quote][b]

uuccio(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Noisy USB Charger Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

In the meantime, I took your advice and tried a different brand of charger. I bought it at Wal-Mart and I'm happy to report that it is working fine. It is black, comes in a bubble pack, and can plug into both a 120 VAC wall outlet and a 12 VDC cigar lighter outlet. It cost less than $20. It has two, 2.1 amp USB receptacles.
[quote]Just for reference, can post a link to the item on Walmart.com? There are dozens of UBS chargers there. sacha[b]

Dennis Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Noisy USB Charger Reply with quote

Hi Sacha,

You asked for a Wal-Mart.com link to the USB charger that I'm using that doesn't create "noise" on my comm radio. Sorry, but I can't find it on Wal-Mart's web site. I bought it in the store. Here is the info printed on the charger; you might be able to find it on eBay or locally from a different store.

I think it's manufactured by ONN
Model #: ONA12WI268
Input: 100-240 VAC
Input: 12-24 VDC
Output: 5.0VDC 2.1A
There is an additional number that might be some kind of certification: E347649

It has two input specs because it can be plugged into a cigar lighter or into a house wall socket. It also has two USB sockets that can charge both at 2.1 A simultaneously.

Dennis

[quote][b]

uuccio(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Noisy USB Charger Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis for that. I guess the different Walmart stores carry different products cos I couldn't find it in the one I went to.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: