Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to inject or not to inject...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickc(at)mtaonline.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: to inject or not to inject... Reply with quote

Hello Kolb Flyers,

I claim Not to be an expert about oil injection, and most other things too. So here is one small data point for you to consider. Many years ago when Johnson came out with a new oil injected 70 hp outboard we were given one to use on a fall project. The oil was in a remote tank in the back of the boat. The cold moved in early that fall and we ended up killing the motor due to Oil starvation…the oil was too cold to flow well. The newer motors soon came out with the injection oil under the cowling, to keep it warm. I hope to fly in cold weather, and even thought I dislike premixing gas and oil… that is what I will be doing; until Airbus sells me an Electric Fan motor to put on my Kolbra!J

Enjoy,

Nick

Palmer, AK
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: to inject or not to inject... Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment. I began to wonder if every one mixed their oil, or I was about the only one monitoring it.Larry
On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Nick Cassara <nickc(at)mtaonline.net (nickc(at)mtaonline.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Hello Kolb Flyers,

I claim Not to be an expert about oil injection, and most other things too. So here is one small data point for you to consider. Many years ago when Johnson came out with a new oil injected 70 hp outboard we were given one to use on a fall project. The oil was in a remote tank in the back of the boat. The cold moved in early that fall and we ended up killing the motor due to Oil starvation…the oil was too cold to flow well. The newer motors soon came out with the injection oil under the cowling, to keep it warm. I hope to fly in cold weather, and even thought I dislike premixing gas and oil… that is what I will be doing; until Airbus sells me an Electric Fan motor to put on my Kolbra!J

Enjoy,

Nick

Palmer, AK
Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

GeoB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: to inject or not to inject... Reply with quote

My only experience with oil injection was years ago on 2-stroke motorcycles.
I loved it. I used far less oil, I kept my hands clean when fueling, the
engine carboned up less. I am interested in using it on my 447 or 503.

OPTIONAL (off-topic):

Years ago I bought a Rototiller at a yard sale. Huge heavy thing,
self-propelled, gear box, built like they usta build. Cast iron, etc. It had
a big single cyl engine under a cowling in front. So, I used the thing a few
times, it ran great, it was quite a machine. After a while I figgered I'd
check the valve lash, change the oil, etc. Tore into it, to my surprise it
was a 2-stroke! Yeah, I know, makes me sound dumb. But it ran so slow and
had such torque. So after a few hours of operation I finally started giving
it oil in the gas. No apparent damage.

"Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors"
firestar503

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: to inject or not to inject... Reply with quote

Hi guys,
My only Rotax 2-cycle experience is on a 503 with injection. My Firestar has over 500 hours on it and the injection system has performed faultlessly. I suspect the injection system is responsible for long plug life and reduced oil expense. I have had no problems in cold weather.
Jon L
Minnesota

On Sunday, July 20, 2014 9:21 PM, George Bearden <gab16(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "George Bearden" <gab16(at)sbcglobal.net (gab16(at)sbcglobal.net)>

My only experience with oil injection was years ago on 2-stroke motorcycles.
I loved it. I used far less oil, I kept my hands clean when fueling, the
engine carboned up less. I am interested in using it on my 447 or 503.

OPTIONAL (off-topic):

Years ago I bought a Rototiller at a yard sale. Huge heavy thing,
self-propelled, gear box, built like they usta build. Cast iron, etc. It had
a big single cyl engine under a cowling in front. So, I used the thing a few
times, it ran great, it was quite a machine. After a while I figgered I'd
check the valve lash, change the oil, etc. Tore into it, to my surprise it
was a 2-stroke! Yeah, I know, makes me sound dumb. But it ran so slow and
had such torque. So after a few hours of operation I finally started giving
it oil in the gas. No apparent damag -->

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: to inject or not to inject... Reply with quote

In my Firestar 2 503 oil injected over 700 hrs, the first 100 on 100LL.Did a de-carbon at 450hrs when the top ring got sticky at inspection time.I have lots of faith in the Rotax engineers that developed the oil -injection system.
G.Aman FS-2 700hrs MK-3 Jabiru 2200A 850 hrs

--

frankf(at)flying-models.c

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: to inject or not to inject... Reply with quote

Hi everyone:

This subject of oil injection is pretty timely since I'm on the verge of installing an injection unit on a Rotax 503 DCDI. It seems to be pretty straightforward but there is also a problem. I use prime instead of manual choke on the 503 to get it started and the prime line goes to the nipple on each intake manifold. That seems to be the same place where the oil lines have to go also. Can anyone suggest a workaround? Would a tee fitting work? Does the manifold need another nipple?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Frank Fanelli

On 7/21/2014 7:37 PM, Gary Aman wrote: [quote]In my Firestar 2 503 oil injected over 700 hrs, the first 100 on 100LL.Did a de-carbon at 450hrs when the top ring got sticky at inspection time.I have lots of faith in the Rotax engineers that developed the oil -injection system.

--

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: to inject or not to inject... Reply with quote

Frank,it needs another nipple,it's on the bottom of the manifold

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2014, at 7:05 PM, Frank Fanelli <frankf(at)flying-models.com (frankf(at)flying-models.com)> wrote:
[quote] Hi everyone:

This subject of oil injection is pretty timely since I'm on the verge of installing an injection unit on a Rotax 503 DCDI. It seems to be pretty straightforward but there is also a problem. I use prime instead of manual choke on the 503 to get it started and the prime line goes to the nipple on each intake manifold. That seems to be the same place where the oil lines have to go also. Can anyone suggest a workaround? Would a tee fitting work? Does the manifold need another nipple?

Frank Fanelli

On 7/21/2014 7:37 PM, Gary Aman wrote: [quote]In my Firestar 2 503 oil injected over 700 hrs, the first 100 on 100LL.Did a de-carbon at 450hrs when the top ring got sticky at inspection time.I have lots of faith in the Rotax engineers that developed the oil -injection system.

--

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: to inject or not to inject... Reply with quote

The prime nipple is on the carb

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2014, at 7:05 PM, Frank Fanelli <frankf(at)flying-models.com (frankf(at)flying-models.com)> wrote:
[quote] Hi everyone:

Frank Fanelli

--

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: to inject or not to inject... Reply with quote

Study your 503 operators manual. Follow the instructions for starting a cold and a warm 503 using the enricher. Next remove the primer system. It is not necessary and poses additional chance for fire if you crash. I have never had a problem starting a Rotax two stroke in the winter with the enricher only. That goes for the 912 series engines as well.

My opinion only. It works for me.

john h
Lake City, Colorado

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Frank Fanelli
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 7:05 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RE: to inject or not to inject...

Hi everyone:

Frank Fanelli

On 7/21/2014 7:37 PM, Gary Aman wrote:
In my Firestar 2 503 oil injected over 700 hrs, the first 100 on 100LL.Did a de-carbon at 450hrs when the top ring got sticky at inspection time.I have lots of faith in the Rotax engineers that developed the oil -injection system.

--

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: