Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ground effects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: ground effects Reply with quote

guess I thought the drift had a remote start... before I can pop up in ground effect I need longer gear legs,,,, always something to spend more money on.

starting a soft checked as he typed “I want to see the video of the rain dance” he decided it might not be something he really wanted to see. LOL

boyd

Sent: Friday, August 08, 2014 1:13 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: ground effects

It took me two tries to get airborne this morning. There was a freak shower that basically covered my house and hanger. I had taxied out to the spot that I warm the engine up and the sprinkle turned into a rain shower. The wife suggested that I return to the hanger to wait it out. The shock to my system was so much that the wife had to throw a bucket of sand in my face to wake me up.
It took about 5 minutes to stop so I rolled out and took off for my morning check of the Cows. I have been a little disappointed in the quality of my Drift video camera. The image just isn't as sharp and rich as I would like it. Operator error I am sure. I shut down the shutter two stops, and I intended to try it to see if it was better. The last couple of videos that I have made used the "enhancement " feature of my editing program, and they were better, but still washed out somewhat. I am expecting the delivery of a Garmin Virb camera this afternoon, and will be comparing it to the drift. I wanted the drift to be set properly for that comparison. I have since decided that one F stop would have been better.

After I was in the air, I remembered that I had not turned on the camera for my second try. I didn't want to go home just yet, so I landed on the dirt road that goes to the Alvord from the ranch. The road is pretty smooth, but only one car wide, with an 8 inch berm on each side of the road. There were some twists and turns in the road for a ways, so I drove down the road looking for a straight enough road to take off on. After a couple of minutes I hit a bit of a straight stretch and started my take off. I was not quite up to comfortable flying speed when a curve in the road was fast approaching. No worries, I popped it up into ground effects and leveled it out just above the brush and kept it there for the few seconds that it took to gain flying speed. No problem!

https://vimeo.com/102946520 owyheeflyer

Larry
--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Quote:

p://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ics.com
.matronics.com/contribution

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. [quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: ground effects Reply with quote

The drift does have a remote start, just not a turn on remote start. Smile

There was no rain dance- I couldn't believe that it was actually going to
rain. It started sprinkling just a bit as I prepared to get in the plane. I
looked up and there was a hankerchief sized cloud up there. I thought well
that will blow away soon, so I taxied out. When I couldn't see out of the
windscreen, Karen asked "Are you going to take off in that"? That was when
I realized it was actually raining, at least for a bit. Nothing got wet but
my windscreen however.
Larry
On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM, b young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[quote] guess I thought the drift had a remote start... before I can pop up in
ground effect I need longer gear legs,,,, always something to spend more
money on.

starting a soft checked as he typed “I want to see the video of the rain
dance” he decided it might not be something he really wanted to see.
LOL

boyd

*Sent:* Friday, August 08, 2014 1:13 PM
*To:* kolb-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* ground effects

It took me two tries to get airborne this morning. There was a freak
shower that basically covered my house and hanger. I had taxied out to the
spot that I warm the engine up and the sprinkle turned into a rain shower

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: