Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

testing a new camera!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undoctor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: testing a new camera! Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

Played your vid and here's what I found.  I have two browsers, Firefox and IE.  I use FF for almost everything except videos, as no matter what I've tried videos from youtube and the like chatter and jump, although the sound is usually unbroken, so I use IE as default for videos.

Opened your video and it jumped and stuttered from beginning to end.  The sound was OK.  Out of curiosity I opened it in Firefox.  Not only did the video jump and stutter, the sound stuttered as well.  I don't know if it's my connection or the video or vimeo that is causing the reduction in quality across the board, just wanted to let you know so you have the data you're looking for.

By the way, here in PA if we do touch and goes on a lake we would get very wet and have to fish our aircraft out of the water.

BTW, your HKS seems to be a significant improvement.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA

Do Not Archive

On 8/9/2014 6:57 PM, Larry Cottrell wrote:

Quote:
I finally decided to try Garmin's Virb video camera. I have been dithering for months as to whether it was worth the expense or not. Finally I decided to give up and get the thing. One of the features that I liked was that you could show your speed on the camera. I seem to have trouble remembering my actual flying speed, since there are so many distractions when one is suspended between the clouds and the ground.

After I added the "baffle" to the muffler,( a 5 inch flat plate that seems to realign the air flow coming off the 8 inch round muffler ) I seemed to be going a lot faster than I remembered before I added it.  One of the things about the Virb is that the GPS in the camera records the speed, and a whole lot of other things. Not being that interested in my heart rate, I think I will pass on that one. My measurement of excitement is how dry my mouth gets. 

I stuck it on the other wing on the tube that holds the wing when it is folded. That seems to be the least amount of vibration on the entire plane. I did get some harmonics, especially when I throttled back. The camera is supposed to have a "stabilization feature" but apparently flying isn't that stable.

The colors produced by the camera did not require me to use the "enhancement feature" of my editing program. It seemed to be a little dark, but I tend to fly early in the morning and the lighting is not always the best then. In Sept the air should stabilize enough to be able to fly during the middle of the day when light is better.

All in all, I like the camera. There are lots of features that could be if not helpful, at least interesting. As for the comparison to the Drift- About the only improvement to the drift is the GPS features. When the drift is set properly ( in this case minus one f stop) there is not a lot of difference between the two. I still think I will keep the Virb however.

https://vimeo.com/103023194   owyheeflyer

Larry

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Quote:

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. [quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lcottrell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: testing a new camera! Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, but it has to be on your end. It doesn't do that here or anyone else that I have heard. They are the highest quality that I can get on the net, so the size might be your problem. You can always default to 720 rather than the HD. Sorry that it didn't show as intended.
Larry 

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM, David Kulp <undoctor(at)ptd.net (undoctor(at)ptd.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Larry,

Played your vid and here's what I found.  I have two browsers, Firefox and IE.  I use FF for almost everything except videos, as no matter what I've tried videos from youtube and the like chatter and jump, although the sound is usually unbroken, so I use IE as default for videos.

Opened your video and it jumped and stuttered from beginning to end.  The sound was OK.  Out of curiosity I opened it in Firefox.  Not only did the video jump and stutter, the sound stuttered as well.  I don't know if it's my connection or the video or vimeo that is causing the reduction in quality across the board, just wanted to let you know so you have the data you're looking for.

By the way, here in PA if we do touch and goes on a lake we would get very wet and have to fish our aircraft out of the water.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA

Do Not Archive

Quote:
I finally decided to try Garmin's Virb video camera. I have been dithering for months as to whether it was worth the expense or not. Finally I decided to give up and get the thing. One of the features that I liked was that you could show your speed on the camera. I seem to have trouble remembering my actual flying speed, since there are so many distractions when one is suspended between the clouds and the ground.

After I added the "baffle" to the muffler,( a 5 inch flat plate that seems to realign the air flow coming off the 8 inch round muffler ) I seemed to be going a lot faster than I remembered before I added it.  One of the things about the Virb is that the GPS in the camera records the speed, and a whole lot of other things. Not being that interested in my heart rate, I think I will pass on that one. My measurement of excitement is how dry my mouth gets. 

I stuck it on the other wing on the tube that holds the wing when it is folded. That seems to be the least amount of vibration on the entire plane. I did get some harmonics, especially when I throttled back. The camera is supposed to have a "stabilization feature" but apparently flying isn't that stable.

The colors produced by the camera did not require me to use the "enhancement feature" of my editing program. It seemed to be a little dark, but I tend to fly early in the morning and the lighting is not always the best then. In Sept the air should stabilize enough to be able to fly during the middle of the day when light is better.

All in all, I like the camera. There are lots of features that could be if not helpful, at least interesting. As for the comparison to the Drift- About the only improvement to the drift is the GPS features. When the drift is set properly ( in this case minus one f stop) there is not a lot of difference between the two. I still think I will keep the Virb however.

https://vimeo.com/103023194   owyheeflyer

Larry

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

Quote:

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

undoctor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: testing a new camera! Reply with quote

Glad it's not a problem with others. I'll try again later. My server may have been overloaded. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

<div>-------- Original message --------</div><div>From: Larry Cottrell <lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com> </div><div>Date:08/10/2014 3:07 PM (GMT-05:00) </div><div>To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com </div><div>Subject: Re: Kolb-List: testing a new camera! </div><div>
</div>Thanks for the input, but it has to be on your end. It doesn't do that here or anyone else that I have heard. They are the highest quality that I can get on the net, so the size might be your problem. You can always default to 720 rather than the HD.
Sorry that it didn't show as intended.
Larry

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM, David Kulp <undoctor(at)ptd.net> wrote:
Hi Larry,

Played your vid and here's what I found. I have two browsers, Firefox and IE. I use FF for almost everything except videos, as no matter what I've tried videos from youtube and the like chatter and jump, although the sound is usually unbroken, so I use IE as default for videos.

Opened your video and it jumped and stuttered from beginning to end. The sound was OK. Out of curiosity I opened it in Firefox. Not only did the video jump and stutter, the sound stuttered as well. I don't know if it's my connection or the video or vimeo that is causing the reduction in quality across the board, just wanted to let you know so you have the data you're looking for.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA

Do Not Archive

After I added the "baffle" to the muffler,( a 5 inch flat plate that seems to realign the air flow coming off the 8 inch round muffler ) I seemed to be going a lot faster than I remembered before I added it. One of the things about the Virb is that the GPS in the camera records the speed, and a whole lot of other things. Not being that interested in my heart rate, I think I will pass on that one. My measurement of excitement is how dry my mouth gets.

https://vimeo.com/103023194 owyheeflyer

Larry

--

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: