Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carling switch resistance for micro currents?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Carling switch resistance for micro currents? Reply with quote

At 03:05 PM 8/25/2014, you wrote:

Hi Bob,

Last night I was metering a circuit (for total resistance) not including the
load at the end of the wire. The circuit consists of about 10 feet of 18AWG
wire, an ATC fuse, fuse block and a carling SPST switch all obtained from
B&C, and two alligator test leads. I was surprised to find the meter (my
trusty Fluke) read several megohms when I closed the switch. I was
expecting to see something less than 5 ohms (probably less than one). It
would appear that there is quite a high resistance when only the very small
current of the metering circuit is passing through the switch. Is this
normal?

Note: The meter showed 0.2 ohms with the test leads shorted so the meter
seems to be functioning correctly.

Okay, you've cited a number of devices in series
all of which feature several 'metallic' joints
normally expected to be a few milliohms each.

Divide and conquer.

Clip the ohmmeter to the fuseblock treaded
power input post and then march downstream
with the other lead looking for the first
instance of "too much" resistance.

Somewhere along the way you're going to find
a bad crimp or perhaps a switch with contacts
so 'self-worn' that they need to be cycled
clean. Is the ship's battery available to this
circuit? Put a sacrificial 20A fuse in the
fuseholder, dead short the far end of the
wire to ground then 'rattle' the toggle until
the fuse blows. Pop a couple of fuses. Then
put the proper fuse back in and march off smartly
forward.

I've used a similar technique to clean the shelf-
fuzz off of several high dollar, mil-spec switches
in biz-jets. In both cases, the switches had never
been asked to SWITCH a significant load for years.
Do a little arc-therapy on them and they good to
go for another 5-10 years.
Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Carling switch resistance for micro currents? Reply with quote

At 04:28 PM 8/25/2014, you wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I have not been back to the hangar to do anymore since posting my original question but I will add a little more info here.

This particular circuit has never operated any load yet. It has been sitting for a couple years since originally crafted. The plane is in a heated/insulated space. Nothing else rusts or corrodes in this space.\

EVERYTHING corrodes. For sure, the layer may be only molecules thick but its resistance can be significant and it rises with time.
The fuse is 5amp. I believe I also clipped the meter's alligator directly to the screw terminal of the fuse block thereby eliminating the block and fuse but will retry tonight.

I don't have a battery in the plane yet. I use a 30 amp DC power supply that plugs into a piper style remote power port. It puts out 14VDC and has run all my other loads just fine. When the DC power supply is powered up, I get the full voltage at the load end of the subject wire which is what I expected to see. Since there has never been any load driven by this circuit (no current flowing) there has never been and arky sparky happening at the switch. So, is some arky sparky required to get the switch to indicate 0 ohms when in the on position?

Yes . . . under certain conditions.
I wouldn't think so but I seem to recall something about these switches not being designed for extremely small currents.

Few switches are. Such devices are gold plated and perhaps feature bifurcated contacts, etc. The catalogs that offer such switches will speak to these features and charge you more money for them. Run-of-the-mill power handling switches, even the $high$ devices can demonstrate corrosion induced open circuits when not 'exercised' for long periods of time. It's the nature of the beast.
What I do see is open circuit with the switch off, dropping to several megohms when on. I may try powering a medium load (5-10 amps) to see...

A) If the load powers up as expected while metering current through the circuit.
B) Check the switch to see if it generates any noticeable heat during this test
C) Re measure the closed circuit resistance after the test to see if it now appears more normal.

Forget the resistance measurements. Just load the far end of the wire with something and then run the switch through a few dozen cycles. The arcing at ANY current level is never zero. You could deliberately pop some 5A fuses . . . SOME arcing is expected to keep corrosion products cleared from the contacts of ALL power switches. "

A busy switch is a happy switch."

Bob . . . [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Carling switch resistance for micro currents? Reply with quote

OK. Very good. I will put a load on and out of curiosity, check the total circuit resistance again after a few dozen cycles.

Bevan

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert L. Nuckolls, III
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:11 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: AeroElectric-List: Carling switch resistance for micro currents?

At 04:28 PM 8/25/2014, you wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I have not been back to the hangar to do anymore since posting my original question but I will add a little more info here.

This particular circuit has never operated any load yet. It has been sitting for a couple years since originally crafted. The plane is in a heated/insulated space. Nothing else rusts or corrodes in this space.\

EVERYTHING corrodes. For sure, the layer may be only molecules thick but its resistance can be significant and it rises with time.
The fuse is 5amp. I believe I also clipped the meter's alligator directly to the screw terminal of the fuse block thereby eliminating the block and fuse but will retry tonight.

I don't have a battery in the plane yet. I use a 30 amp DC power supply that plugs into a piper style remote power port. It puts out 14VDC and has run all my other loads just fine. When the DC power supply is powered up, I get the full voltage at the load end of the subject wire which is what I expected to see. Since there has never been any load driven by this circuit (no current flowing) there has never been and arky sparky happening at the switch. So, is some arky sparky required to get the switch to indicate 0 ohms when in the on position?

Yes . . . under certain conditions.
I wouldn't think so but I seem to recall something about these switches not being designed for extremely small currents.

Few switches are. Such devices are gold plated and perhaps feature bifurcated contacts, etc. The catalogs that offer such switches will speak to these features and charge you more money for them. Run-of-the-mill power handling switches, even the $high$ devices can demonstrate corrosion induced open circuits when not 'exercised' for long periods of time. It's the nature of the beast.
What I do see is open circuit with the switch off, dropping to several megohms when on. I may try powering a medium load (5-10 amps) to see...

A) If the load powers up as expected while metering current through the circuit.
B) Check the switch to see if it generates any noticeable heat during this test
C) Re measure the closed circuit resistance after the test to see if it now appears more normal.

Forget the resistance measurements. Just load the far end of the wire with something and then run the switch through a few dozen cycles. The arcing at ANY current level is never zero. You could deliberately pop some 5A fuses . . . SOME arcing is expected to keep corrosion products cleared from the contacts of ALL power switches. "

A busy switch is a happy switch."

Bob . . . [quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: