Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Right turn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank goodnight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Right turn Reply with quote

Kolbers
Just starting to get used to my mk3 classic. I have a question for those of you with
experience in mk3s. I fly from the right seat, after a bit of fooling around with the flaps and wing incedence i have got the
plane so it flys pretty much straight and level, handsoff. I find the ailerons to be very heavy
and slow to react, much more so than my Firestar. If I enter a decending left turn at about
75 mph ---nothing radical just a normal turn to left base ,close pattern---to roll level takes about
3 seconds and enough right stick and rudder pressure that I'm almost afraid something will
break I' m tempted to use both hands on the stick. Doesn't seem to matter much what power
setting is used. If the initial turn is to the right there seems not to be a problem to roll left
to level. From level flight the problem is much less pronounced, although it is somewhat
easier to turn left than to turn right.Any thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.
I don't think it's dangerous , but not sure
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville ,AR
912 uls
Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Right turn Reply with quote

What kind of fooling around with the flaps and incidence did you do?
If you have trimmed the plane by putting the wings and control surfaces out of proper alignment instead of installing a trim tab that may be adding to the condition???
As for the heavy stick,, mine was a bit heavy as well, I drilled holes about 1 inch in on the control linkage just above the boom tube,  this gives a bit more mechanical advantage
Do you have a912? If so you should need Bit of right rudder,,,a trim there will reduce the pilot work load
Boyd Young On Aug 29, 2014 6:58 AM, "Frank Goodnight" <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: Frank Goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)>

Kolbers
Just starting to get used to my mk3 classic. I have a question for those of you with
experience in mk3s. I fly from the right seat, after a bit of fooling around with the flaps and wing incedence i have got the
plane so it flys pretty much straight and level, handsoff. I find the ailerons to be very heavy
and slow to react, much more so than my Firestar. If I enter a decending left turn at about
75 mph ---nothing radical just a normal turn to left base ,close pattern---to roll level takes about
3 seconds and enough right stick and rudder pressure that I'm almost afraid something will
break I' m tempted to use both hands on the stick. Doesn't seem to matter much what power
setting is used. If the initial turn is to the right there seems not to be a problem to roll left
to level. From level flight the problem is much less pronounced, although it is somewhat
easier to turn left than to turn right.Any thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville ,AR
912 uls
Sent from my iPad

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

colin.scott.hudson(at)gma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Right turn Reply with quote

Frank when I switched to dual controls on my M3Xtra I had the same problem, too much slack and not enough leverage. I hated it. Switched back to single control and the problem went away. You didn't say what type of controls you have, but that may be it. By the way, anybody that would like a set of dual controls, I'll sell them cheap.

Scott Hudson
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, at 7:56 AM, Frank Goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net> wrote:

Kolbers
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville ,AR
912 uls
Sent from my iPad

frank goodnight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Right turn Reply with quote

Hi Boyd,
Thanks for your reply.
When I bought the plane from Bruce he was flying it from the left seat and I suppose
had it trimmed to suit him. I switched to the right seat so the throttle is on my left , been
on the left in every plane I've ever owned. I almost tore the trim lever out of the MK3
the first timeI landed it from the left seat trying to get to idle rpm. When I switched to the right seat
The right wing was extremely heavy. I called kolb and talked to Travis and to Bryan, Bryan
Suggested two things. He explained that because of the way the flaps are attached to the
torque tube for the ailerons they can be used as huge aileron trim tabs and should be adjusted
the same way as if you were adjusting a Alieron trim tab , I did that and it helped to raise the
right wing. Travis had told me that in order to sell Kolbs in England there has to be a way to
Adjust the incidence of the wings. In order to comply Kolb sells an extra wide 1/2 of the u joint
that attaches the trailing edge of the wing to the fuselage. The adjustment is made by stacking
4 washers above or below the attach point. Bryan suggested that if I needed more adjustment
than I could get with the flaps I should try that , I lowered the angle of attack of the left wing
By 4 washers--don't know many degrees--it worked , the plane flys straight and level hands
off and the yaw string is right down the middle at cruise. So tail trim tab is OK. I do have a
912 ULS 100HP The only problem is the one I mentioned in the earlier post.I would like to
hear from any and all kolb pilots.
Frank G
Fayetteville ,AR
PS Boyd I changed the hole position on the Firestar , it helped. Will look into doing it to the
MK3 tomorrow, thanks

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 29, 2014, at 8:29 AM, B Young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]
If you have trimmed the plane by putting the wings and control surfaces out of proper alignment instead of installing a trim tab that may be adding to the condition???
As for the heavy stick,, mine was a bit heavy as well, I drilled holes about 1 inch in on the control linkage just above the boom tube, this gives a bit more mechanical advantage
Do you have a912? If so you should need Bit of right rudder,,,a trim there will reduce the pilot work load
Boyd Young On Aug 29, 2014 6:58 AM, "Frank Goodnight" <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Frank Goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)>

Kolbers
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville ,AR
912 uls
Sent from my iPad

===========
===========
FORUMS -
===========
b Site -
===========

===================================
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Right turn Reply with quote

When I first flew my plane it had the same till you describe,, and had to hold a lot of left stick,,, but when you looked at the trailing edges of ailerons and flaps it all lined up perfect....  I did all the changes you have done,, it flew hands off,, but the trailing edges were out of line....bad....I undid my fixes and put on a trim tab...note it flies hand off and the trailing edges line up again...
Maybe you should add linkage and add a,, second,, left hand throttle
Boyd Young On Aug 29, 2014 12:29 PM, "Frank Goodnight" <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:[quote] Hi Boyd,
Thanks for your reply.
When I bought the plane from Bruce he was flying it from the left seat and I suppose
had it trimmed to suit him. I switched to the right seat so the throttle is on my left , been
on the left in every plane I've ever owned. I almost tore the trim lever out of the MK3
the first timeI landed it from the left seat trying to get to idle rpm. When I switched to the right seat
The right wing was extremely heavy. I called kolb and talked to Travis and to Bryan, Bryan
Suggested two things. He explained that because of the way the flaps are attached to the
torque tube for the ailerons they can be used as huge aileron trim tabs and should be adjusted 
the same way as if you were adjusting a Alieron trim tab , I did that and it helped to raise the
right wing. Travis had told me that in order to sell Kolbs in England there has to be a way to
Adjust the incidence of the wings. In order to comply Kolb sells an extra wide 1/2 of the u joint
that attaches the trailing edge of the wing to the fuselage. The adjustment is made by stacking
4 washers above or below the attach point. Bryan suggested that if I needed more adjustment
than I could get with the flaps I should try that , I lowered the angle of attack of the left wing
By 4 washers--don't know many degrees--it worked , the plane flys straight and level hands
off and the yaw string is right down the middle at cruise. So tail trim tab is OK. I do have a
912 ULS 100HP The only problem is the one I mentioned in the earlier post.I would like to
Frank G
Fayetteville ,AR
PS Boyd I changed the hole position on the Firestar , it helped. Will look into doing it to the
MK3 tomorrow, thanks

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 29, 2014, at 8:29 AM, B Young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

As for the heavy stick,, mine was a bit heavy as well, I drilled holes about 1 inch in on the control linkage just above the boom tube,  this gives a bit more mechanical advantage
Boyd Young On Aug 29, 2014 6:58 AM, "Frank Goodnight" <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Frank Goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)>

Kolbers
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville ,AR
912 uls
Sent from my iPad

===========
===========
FORUMS -
===========
b Site -
===========

==========
==========
cs.com
==========
==========

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

frank goodnight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Right turn Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. Will keep
Your fix in mind and try it in the next
Couple of weeks. Will let you know
If it works on my plane.
Frank

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 29, 2014, at 1:26 PM, Frank Goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:
[quote]Hi Boyd,
Thanks for your reply.
Frank G
Fayetteville ,AR
MK3 tomorrow, thanks

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

As for the heavy stick,, mine was a bit heavy as well, I drilled holes about 1 inch in on the control linkage just above the boom tube, this gives a bit more mechanical advantage
Quote:

Kolbers
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville ,AR
912 uls
Sent from my iPad

===========
===========
FORUMS -
===========
b Site -
===========

cs.com

cs.com

[b]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Right turn Reply with quote

My trim tab is about 3 1/2. By just longer than 1 bay width..
At 1 1/2 inch I bent the tab do when the 1 1/2 is on the table the 2 inch side is about 1/2 to5/8 off at the trailing edge..
Installed on the bottom side of the left aileron Roth the bend down
Boyd Young On Aug 29, 2014 6:21 PM, "Frank" <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:[quote] Thanks for your response. Will keep
If it works on my plane.
Frank

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 29, 2014, at 1:26 PM, Frank Goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Boyd,
Thanks for your reply.
Frank G
Fayetteville ,AR
MK3 tomorrow, thanks

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Quote:

Kolbers
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville ,AR
912 uls
Sent from my iPad

===========
===========
FORUMS -
===========
b Site -
===========

==========
==========
cs.com
==========
==========

==========
==========
cs.com
==========
==========

[b]

frank goodnight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Right turn Reply with quote

Thanks Boyd
I'll let you know how it turns out
but it will be a couple of weeks
Frank

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 29, 2014, at 8:04 PM, B Young <byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]
My trim tab is about 3 1/2. By just longer than 1 bay width...
At 1 1/2 inch I bent the tab do when the 1 1/2 is on the table the 2 inch side is about 1/2 to5/8 off at the trailing edge..
Installed on the bottom side of the left aileron Roth the bend down
Boyd Young On Aug 29, 2014 6:21 PM, "Frank" <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your response. Will keep
If it works on my plane.
Frank

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
Hi Boyd,
Thanks for your reply.
Frank G
Fayetteville ,AR
MK3 tomorrow, thanks

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Quote:

Kolbers
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville ,AR
912 uls
Sent from my iPad

===========
===========
FORUMS -
===========
b Site -
===========

==========
==========
cs.com
==========
==========

==========
==========
cs.com
==========
==========

[b]

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Right turn Reply with quote

Since the aileron trim changes depending on whether you have a passenger or not, I made my trim tab adjustable.
http://www.bcchapel.org/pages/0003/pg6.htm

I also made the mod to change aileron leverage.
http://www.bcchapel.org/pages/0003/pg7.htm

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Right turn Reply with quote

Frank

The Kolb MKIII isn't a firestar or firefly. The ailerons are a bit heavy compared to the lighter Kolbs and the roll rate is more leisurely. The best way to fix roll trim issues is to use the English trim fitting that Kolb offers. That way you get all flying surfaces all going the same direction. Trim tabs and flap adjustments may resolve the issue but add unnecessary drag.

The stick forces you describe are not normal and I would not fly it that way. Well... I'm right handed and fly from the left seat is your left arm weak? Go back over what you have done and make sure you haven't introduced a problem. Aileron control force in a MKIIIC is heaver than elevator control force but is never to the point that you would need two hands. Everything set up correctly roll forces should be the same right and left. Homer designed the ailerons to have enough power to handle wind direction changes that can occur flying slow near the ground, moving the hinge point to make it easier also reduces the deflection that you might need someday. 

Worth what you paid for it, refunds available anytime.
Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Frank Goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:
[quote]Hi Boyd,
Thanks for your reply.
Frank G
Fayetteville ,AR
MK3 tomorrow, thanks

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Boyd Young
On Aug 29, 2014 6:58 AM, "Frank Goodnight" <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Kolbers
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville ,AR
912 uls
Sent from my iPad

===========
===========
FORUMS -
===========
b Site -
===========

==========
==========
cs.com
==========
==========

Quote:

[b]

Guideman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Right turn Reply with quote

colin.scott.hudson(at)gma wrote:
Frank when I switched to dual controls on my M3Xtra I had the same problem, too much slack and not enough leverage. I hated it. Switched back to single control and the problem went away. You didn't say what type of controls you have, but that may be it. By the way, anybody that would like a set of dual controls, I'll sell them cheap.

Scott Hudson
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, at 7:56 AM, Frank Goodnight <frank> wrote:

Kolbers
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville ,AR
912 uls
Sent from my iPad

Guideman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Right turn Reply with quote

colin.scott.hudson(at)gma wrote:

Scott Hudson
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, at 7:56 AM, Frank Goodnight <frank> wrote:

Kolbers
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville ,AR
912 uls
Sent from my iPad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: