Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> To all owners and operators.

I received a call from a client who inadvertently misplaced his gas cap. His kit is a about a 2001 XS and Europa-Aircraft (2004) does not have stock on these older caps.
Come to find out, the caps changed in or about 2003. All caps on newer XS kits have a smaller cap and ring (65mmOD).

What to check.
If you have a fuel cap supplied with your kit made by SPRL that measures 70 mm OD on the gray cap, these caps are no longer in production and the new 65 mm caps do not fit properly. Aircraft Spruce and Wicks do not have any old style caps in inventory.

Classic caps and the newer XS kits are available but the cap and flange have to be bought at an average price of about $60-$70. On the older pre 2004 kits if you have the 70 mm cap and you wish to upgrade to the newer style, you will have to cut the fuel ring out and replace. Not fun especially since the diameters are different.

Please review the pdf document attached for details on the differences.

I am putting together a special order for my Custom Flight Clients for the older 70 mm caps through Newton SPRL. The price is reasonable and less then current retail. I highly recommend that older XS kit owners purchase a spare in the unlikely event your cap may disappear. We are not supplying the key lock. This is a one time shot as it is coming out of my pocket for the R&D. I cannot expect the current Europa Company to support these pre 2004 kit fuel caps as it is not economically viable to do so.

However, determined owners like myself will attempt to make a special order through the manufacturer happen to keep my clients happy and supplied. You are all welcome to piggy back on my efforts and research.

Email or call in your order to me direct, not through the Matronics site please so as not to clutter up the site.

Regards,

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.
personal email: budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com),
Mobile Phone: 813-244-8354

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

Europa_Aircraft_Fuel_Cap_Replacement.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Europa_Aircraft_Fuel_Cap_Replacement.pdf
 Filesize:  408.68 KB
 Downloaded:  1042 Time(s)

g-fizy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

hi looks like i will need a new cap made ,depends on the lead time
please let me no when you find out
thanks

jim davis

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Jim,
It will be about a month. I remember from my families contracting business, if a contractor gives a time frame, double it.
I'll need an address for shipping.
Regards
Bud Yerly
[quote] ---

europa089(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

I would like to but I will be in San Diego California this weekend. I will try to come by after we get back.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 19, 2014, at 6:19 PM, "Bud Yerly" <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:
[quote] <?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> To all owners and operators.

I received a call from a client who inadvertently misplaced his gas cap. His kit is a about a 2001 XS and Europa-Aircraft (2004) does not have stock on these older caps.
Come to find out, the caps changed in or about 2003. All caps on newer XS kits have a smaller cap and ring (65mmOD).

What to check.
If you have a fuel cap supplied with your kit made by SPRL that measures 70 mm OD on the gray cap, these caps are no longer in production and the new 65 mm caps do not fit properly. Aircraft Spruce and Wicks do not have any old style caps in inventory.

Classic caps and the newer XS kits are available but the cap and flange have to be bought at an average price of about $60-$70. On the older pre 2004 kits if you have the 70 mm cap and you wish to upgrade to the newer style, you will have to cut the fuel ring out and replace. Not fun especially since the diameters are different.

I am putting together a special order for my Custom Flight Clients for the older 70 mm caps through Newton SPRL. The price is reasonable and less then current retail. I highly recommend that older XS kit owners purchase a spare in the unlikely event your cap may disappear. We are not supplying the key lock. This is a one time shot as it is coming out of my pocket for the R&D. I cannot expect the current Europa Company to support these pre 2004 kit fuel caps as it is not economically viable to do so.

However, determined owners like myself will attempt to make a special order through the manufacturer happen to keep my clients happy and supplied. You are all welcome to piggy back on my efforts and research.

Email or call in your order to me direct, not through the Matronics site please so as not to clutter up the site.

Regards,

Bud Yerly

<Europa Aircraft Fuel Cap Replacement.pdf>
[b]

dpark748(at)icloud.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

Bud,
I measured my cap at the hangar yesterday and it looks like a 65mm dia cap so take me off your list for the 70mm cap.
Regards Dave Park G-LDVO

Sent from my iPad

On 21 Aug 2014, at 15:44, europa089(at)aol.com (europa089(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote]I would like to but I will be in San Diego California this weekend. I will try to come by after we get back.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 19, 2014, at 6:19 PM, "Bud Yerly" <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:
Quote:
<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> To all owners and operators.

What to check.

Regards,

Bud Yerly

[b]

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

Ok Dave.

Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2014 1:05 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet.

Bud,
I measured my cap at the hangar yesterday and it looks like a 65mm dia cap so take me off your list for the 70mm cap.
Regards Dave Park G-LDVO

Sent from my iPad

On 21 Aug 2014, at 15:44, europa089(at)aol.com (europa089(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote] I would like to but I will be in San Diego California this weekend. I will try to come by after we get back.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

What to check.

Regards,

Bud Yerly

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
href='3D"http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List"'>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
href='3D"http://forums.matronics.com"'>http://forums.matronics.com
href='3D"http://www.matronics.com/contribution"'>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

rampil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

A little follow-up:

While the twist locking mechanism on the 65 mm cap engages the old 70 mm
flange, the O-ring does definitely NOT seal the down pipe. It is shy by at least
0.5 mm from the flange. I would not want to fly in rain with it Wink

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

Hi! All
I changed my original cap for the locking version. Does this then mean that
it will not now be sealed? I have had my suspicions! However Europa
Aircraft supplied the locking cap so surely this issue was investigated and
they should have spoken out ?
Regards
Bob Harrison. G-PTAG

--

cakeykev(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

I replaced the original with a locking cap from Europa a while ago because I lost the original!

It is not sealed I put a circle of vinyl (the type used for sign writing) over the cap. It works but it is a bodge. If anyone comes up with a sealing cap for the old classic filler please let me know.

Kevin Challis
[quote] On 1 Sep 2014, at 19:02, "Bob Harrison" <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net> wrote:

Hi! All
I changed my original cap for the locking version. Does this then mean that
it will not now be sealed? I have had my suspicions! However Europa
Aircraft supplied the locking cap so surely this issue was investigated and
they should have spoken out ?
Regards
Bob Harrison. G-PTAG

--

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

Has anyone done anything alternative to the Europe fuel cap? 
I am about to stick the top on and will encounter this challenge soonish hence the question.

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Kevin Challis <cakeykev(at)gmail.com (cakeykev(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> Europa-List message posted by: Kevin Challis <cakeykev(at)gmail.com (cakeykev(at)gmail.com)>

I replaced the original with a locking cap from Europa a while ago because I lost the original!

It is not sealed I put a circle of vinyl (the type used for sign writing) over the cap. It works but it is a bodge. If anyone comes up with a sealing cap for the old classic filler please let me know.

Kevin Challis

> On 1 Sep 2014, at 19:02, "Bob Harrison" <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net (ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net)> wrote:
>
> --> Europa-List message posted by: "Bob Harrison" <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net (ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net)>
>
> Hi! All
> I changed my original cap for the locking version. Does this then mean that
> it will not now be sealed?  I have had my suspicions! However Europa
> Aircraft supplied the locking cap so surely this issue was investigated and
> they should have spoken out ?
> Regards
> Bob Harrison. G-PTAG
>
> --

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

Hi! Kevin ,
I have not had any water ingress since I started putting vinyl tape over it.
I am just wondering if the problem would be solved by researching a slightly
larger "0" ring ? I think I will try . I'm pretty sure I either sold my
original or gave it away !
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

rampil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

I believe the non-kludge choices for the loss of an original kit supplied
fuel cap (which are 70 mm diameter) are:

1) tear up fuselage and replace existing 70 mm flange with now standard 65 mm flange / cap set

2) As Bud has offered, have supplier provide a new short production run of 70mm caps

NB: when I mentioned the locking mechanism in my prior post, I was referring
to the standard twist latch in the cap, not to the key-lock. I do not believe
the presence or absence of the key-lock has an impact on the diameter and seal issue.

Cheers

cakeykev(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

Bud

If your fuel cap fits the old size can I be put on the list if it's not to late.

Thanks

Kevin Challis
Quote:
On 3 Sep 2014, at 13:47, "rampil" <ira.rampil(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I believe the non-kludge choices for the loss of an original kit supplied
fuel cap (which are 70 mm diameter) are:

1) tear up fuselage and replace existing 70 mm flange with now standard 65 mm flange / cap set

2) As Bud has offered, have supplier provide a new short production run of 70mm caps

NB: when I mentioned the locking mechanism in my prior post, I was referring
to the standard twist latch in the cap, not to the key-lock. I do not believe
the presence or absence of the key-lock has an impact on the diameter and seal issue.

Cheers

--------
Ira N224XS

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=429902#429902

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Kevin,
I was just about to close the production out.
I'll add you on.
Please provide your shipping address and a phone to my email budyerly(at)msn.com

The cap fits the gray SPRL cap used on the XS kits of my customers dating from about late 1999 to early 2004 time frame.

Just measure the outside diameter and look at the photo's on my post. New ones are a raised flange and are 65mm diameter. The ones I am ordering are 70mm diameter and have a tapered flange.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
[quote] ---

phillik747

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

Bud I would like one. Just seeing this post. 
Kyle Phillipson
2058739493 On Aug 19, 2014 5:25 PM, "Bud Yerly" <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:[quote] To all owners and operators.

I received a call from a client who inadvertently misplaced his gas cap.  His kit is a about a 2001 XS and Europa-Aircraft (2004) does not have stock on these older caps.
Come to find out, the caps changed in or about 2003.  All caps on newer XS kits have a smaller cap and ring (65mmOD).

What to check.
If you have a fuel cap supplied with your kit made by SPRL that measures 70 mm OD on the gray cap, these caps are no longer in production and the new 65 mm caps do not fit properly.  Aircraft Spruce and Wicks do not have any old style caps in inventory.

Classic caps and the newer XS kits are available but the cap and flange have to be bought at an average price of about $60-$70.  On the older pre 2004 kits if you have the 70 mm cap and you wish to upgrade to the newer style, you will have to cut the fuel ring out and replace.  Not fun especially since the diameters are different.

I am putting together a special order for my Custom Flight Clients for the older 70 mm caps through Newton SPRL.  The price is reasonable and less then current retail.  I highly recommend that older XS kit owners purchase a spare in the unlikely event your cap may disappear.  We are not supplying the key lock.  This is a one time shot as it is coming out of my pocket for the R&D.  I cannot expect the current Europa Company to support these pre 2004 kit fuel caps as it is not economically viable to do so. 

However, determined owners like myself will attempt to make a special order through the manufacturer happen to keep my clients happy and supplied.  You are all welcome to piggy back on my efforts and research.

Regards,

Bud Yerly
personal email:  budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com),
Mobile Phone:  [url=tel:813-244-8354]813-244-8354[/url]

[b]

nigel_graham(at)m-tecque.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

I notice that Demon Tweeks supply a range of fuel filler caps that
resemble the earlier Classic style. It is difficult to work out the
sizes from the limited details given on their site, but a call to them
might give you that information.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fuel-filler-caps

Nigel

On 03/09/2014 13:15, Kevin Challis wrote:
Quote:

Bud

If your fuel cap fits the old size can I be put on the list if it's not to late.

Thanks

Kevin Challis
> On 3 Sep 2014, at 13:47, "rampil" <ira.rampil(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I believe the non-kludge choices for the loss of an original kit supplied
> fuel cap (which are 70 mm diameter) are:
>
> 1) tear up fuselage and replace existing 70 mm flange with now standard 65 mm flange / cap set
>
> 2) As Bud has offered, have supplier provide a new short production run of 70mm caps
>
> NB: when I mentioned the locking mechanism in my prior post, I was referring
> to the standard twist latch in the cap, not to the key-lock. I do not believe
> the presence or absence of the key-lock has an impact on the diameter and seal issue.
>
> Cheers
>
> --------
> Ira N224XS
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=429902#429902
>
>

budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Kyle,
Caps will be about $35 US plus shipping. Production is just starting.
I'll get you added on.

Please provide shipping address to my email budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)

Regards,
Bud Yerly
[quote] ---

Kelvin Weston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

Bud

I hope you can clear up my confusion over the fuel cap problem.
I have the old 70mm cap and flange supplied with my XS kit around 2001 - not yet fitted.
As you stated it has the tapered edge to the cap measuring 70mm at the max diameter and the receptacle flange has a similar taper.
Around 2005, I purchased a locking cap from Europa which is indeed 65mm max diameter due to the tapered edge having been machined square.
However, having measured almost every dimension on each cap with a digital vernier, I can find no significant difference between the two caps.
The O-rings are the same 57mm x 3mm size and the O-ring groove and position on the cap result in identical O-ring position and dimension when fitted.
The O-ring sits in exactly the same position on the receptacle flange when the 65mm cap is fitted and when tested to 10psi there was no leakage from either cap.
The only difference would appear to be the gap around the cap when fitted to the old type receptacle caused by the square machined edge.

Am I missing something.

I know some are reporting leaking caps but could this be due to the cam mechanism being incorrectly adjusted to obtain an effective seal of the O-ring.

DSCF0991.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.46 KB
 Viewed:  15330 Time(s)

DSCF0991.JPG

DSCF0989.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.46 KB

DSCF0989.JPG

DSCF0988.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.04 KB

DSCF0988.JPG

DSCF0984.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.61 KB

DSCF0984.JPG

Kelv Weston
Kit 497
kelv@kdweston.co.uk
budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Fuel Caps for the Europa Fleet. Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Sorry Kelvin,
I have been assured that the cap doesn't quite seal due to the taper of the aluminum.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: