Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rudder Failure on my Xtra.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Rudder Failure on my Xtra. Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't wouldn't try that. Normally, the pedals would bend before they broke. One must try extremely hard break rudder pedals while flying or crashing.

john h
mkIII
Plainview, TX

---- Denny Baber <baberdk(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
I have a Mark III, but I didn't mean to imply to disconnect the rudders.
What I meant to say was to put springs in series between the rudders and
the pedals that would withstand around two hundred pounds of tension. The
only time they would operate would be if you pushed on both pedals and
exceeded the springs limits, but before you could damage metal parts. The
only time they would operate would be to save the plane from pilot error. I
have not tried this, I was wondering if anyone had thought about it and
tried it so I wouldn't have to. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sincerely,
Denny Baber

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Titus, Alabama
olendorf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rudder Failure on my Xtra. Reply with quote

My thoughts about adding springs.

Cons:

More weight.
More stuff to break. Kind of defeats the purpose of these in the first place.
May let the rudder flutter with nothing you can do expect apply more pressure and hope it works until you cramp a calf.
May allow tailwheel to flutter while touching down or taking off.
Provides much less feel to rudder / tailwheel operation.
Pros:

May prevent rudder system failure from pilot over applying pressure to pedals.
I think if you really had to "Fix" the rudder pedal situation you would be better off using the additional weight the springs would have added towards thicker steel rudder pedals, brackets, or whatever you think is the weak spot. I'd rather use a system that has a great track record then invent a new system and risk my life on it.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://sites.google.com/site/kolbfirestar/
Dennis Kirby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Rudder Failure on my Xtra. Reply with quote

Hauck wrote: << I've been around Kolb airplanes for a good while. First time I have heard of a rudder bell crank failure on a MKIIIx. The other model Kolbs don't use that system. I can testify how much abuse rudder pedals can take by relating a few of my accidents and screw ups. ... john h mkIII >>
John / Kolbers -

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments on this topic.

The reason I initiated this discussion thread with such alarm was because it was ME in Brad's Mark-III Xtra who experienced this rudder pedal failure (not the rudder bell crank), and as you can imagine, I was a bit surprised and shaken to see that this factory-supplied part failed. I was simply looking for input from our Kolb community on whether anyone has seen this kind of failure before and what might have caused it. It was a good discussion.

I agree with Hauck, that these Kolbs we fly are designed and built fairly stout - they'll endure quite a bit of abuse compared to other light planes. I still have all the confidence that my own Mark-III will last me for many more years.

The rudder bar failure in Brad's Kolb was not due to excessive stomping force on the rudder pedals, as I was just putting enough pressure on the pedal to try to keep the aircraft going straight after landing. Brad plans to send the rudder pedal interlink unit back to Travis for his assessment. We have no insight into what the original builder did - maybe it was left out in the rain for a few weeks before he installed it in the aircraft, and the internal rust began growing from there. We'll share with you all what Travis tells us.

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul, Powerfin-72
New Mexico

Do not archive

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Rudder Failure on my Xtra. Reply with quote

Dennis K:

Did in intend to insinuate the failure was from one instance of abuse to the rudder pedal. I believe, without actually seeing the part, the failure was the result of a lot of use over the years, or something else that is not apparent from the photos.

I agree, send the failed part back to Kolb and let them assess the problem.

john h
Rock House, Oregon

---- "KIRBY wrote:
Quote:

Hauck wrote: << I've been around Kolb airplanes for a good while. First time I have heard of a rudder bell crank failure on a MKIIIx. The other model Kolbs don't use that system. I can testify how much abuse rudder pedals can take by relating a few of my accidents and screw ups. ... john h mkIII >>

John / Kolbers -

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments on this topic.

The reason I initiated this discussion thread with such alarm was because it was ME in Brad's Mark-III Xtra who experienced this rudder pedal failure (not the rudder bell crank), and as you can imagine, I was a bit surprised and shaken to see that this factory-supplied part failed. I was simply looking for input from our Kolb community on whether anyone has seen this kind of failure before and what might have caused it. It was a good discussion.

I agree with Hauck, that these Kolbs we fly are designed and built fairly stout - they'll endure quite a bit of abuse compared to other light planes. I still have all the confidence that my own Mark-III will last me for many more years.

The rudder bar failure in Brad's Kolb was not due to excessive stomping force on the rudder pedals, as I was just putting enough pressure on the pedal to try to keep the aircraft going straight after landing. Brad plans to send the rudder pedal interlink unit back to Travis for his assessment. We have no insight into what the original builder did - maybe it was left out in the rain for a few weeks before he installed it in the aircraft, and the internal rust began growing from there. We'll share with you all what Travis tells us.

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul, Powerfin-72
New Mexico

Do not archive

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: