Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme bird

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Departing Bembridge and over sea I couldnt work out why so much air was coming up the throttle hole and fuel pump hatch, thought some baffle may have moved. Then after a few minutes, to my horror, noticed the rear pin on the passenger door was located outside the plane rather than in the socket. First time but a classic problem. Slowed right down to 70kts , thought about landing then decided to get my wife to close it properly. I was very glad of the plastic hook at the rear and the leaver protector plate at the front. She held the front plate and moved the leaver up, I held the stick and rear hook and all went fine.
Couldn't have done it without the plastic dressing gown hook stuck and screwed in place at the rear.
Moral of the story (apart from checking before departure) 1. lots of air coming in means something open at the rear. 2, if you are building fit a means of pulling the door back in.

BTW does anyone have a rotax vacuum pump sitting idle?

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

Kit2 G-PATS - (kesterton) Mono Classic 912 warpdrive
Kit 1 G-UMPY - Mono Classic/XS 912S, Woodcomp G(@)gdbmk.co.uk
pjeffers(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Hi Graham,
I do have a vac pump available. Pleas call 01494 881431 to discuss if you are interested.
Pete
Sent: 28/09/2014 18:36
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Europa-List: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror

--> Europa-List message posted by: "graeme bird" <graeme(at)gdbmk.co.uk>

Departing Bembridge and over sea I couldnt work out why so much air was coming up the throttle hole and fuel pump hatch, thought some baffle may have moved. Then after a few minutes, to my horror, noticed the rear pin on the passenger door was located outside the plane rather than in the socket. First time but a classic problem. Slowed right down to 70kts , thought about landing then decided to get my wife to close it properly. I was very glad of the plastic hook at the rear and the leaver protector plate at the front. She held the front plate and moved the leaver up, I held the stick and rear hook and all went fine.
Couldn't have done it without the plastic dressing gown hook stuck and screwed in place at the rear.
Moral of the story (apart from checking before departure) 1. lots of air coming in means something open at the rear. 2, if you are building fit a means of pulling the door back in.

--------
Graeme Bird
G-UMPY
Mono Classic/XS 912S/Woodcomp 3000/3W
Newby: 105 hours 26 months on the Mono
g(at)gdbmk.co.uk

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.co - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pjeffers(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Sent: 29/09/2014 09:01
Subject: RE: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror

Hi Graham,
I do have a vac pump available. Pleas call 01494 881431 to discuss if you are interested.
Pete
Sent: 28/09/2014 18:36
Subject: Europa-List: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror

--> Europa-List message posted by: "graeme bird" <graeme(at)gdbmk.co.uk>

--------
Graeme Bird
G-UMPY
Mono Classic/XS 912S/Woodcomp 3000/3W
Newby: 105 hours 26 months on the Mono
g(at)gdbmk.co.uk

http://forums.matronics.co - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - [quote][b]

g-fizy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Not door again ! we need a mod before some one is killed

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Jim ...... so everyone has to jump through hoops because someone else hasn't
done adequate pre-flight checks?
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

Roland

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Exactly the same happened to me three years ago. I also noticed the air coming in through the throttle slot. I also fortunately managed with the help of the passenger to close the door. I also posted my mishap on the list and Barry Tennant was so kind to have a look at my then deformed door (contacted the upper frame) and fix the problem with a rasp Smile

Good thing is, that I never forgot this item prior take off once again Smile

Roland
PH-ZTI
XS Trigear 914

max8992

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

I had it... twice! First time the rear pin was badly engaged, second time
the passenger shocked the handle with his elbow. Both time the door departed
from the plane. The (only) good thing was to demonstrate that the ship still
flies very well, in spite of a mark visible on the rudder.

Max Cointe
mcointe(at)free.fr
F-PMLH Europa XS_TriGear
Kit #560-2003 912ULS/AirmasterAP332 520 hours

F-PLDJ Dyn’Aéro MCR 4S
Kit #27-2002 912ULSFR/MTProp MTV7A 1660 heures
-----Message d'origine-----
De : owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com
[mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] De la part de Roland
Envoyé : mercredi 1 octobre 2014 13:25
À : europa-list(at)matronics.com
Objet : Re: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror

Exactly the same happened to me three years ago. I also notices the air
coming in through the throttle slot. I also fortunately managed with the
help of the passenger to close the door. I also posted my mishap on the list
and Barry Tennant was so kind to have a look at my then deformed door
(contacted the upper frame) and fix the problem with a rasp Smile

Good thing is, that I never forgot this item prior take off once again Smile

Roland
PH-ZTI
XS Trigear 914

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=431332#431332

Europa XS #560 F-PMLH
g-fizy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net wrote:
Jim ...... so everyone has to jump through hoops because someone else hasn't
done adequate pre-flight checks?
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

yes bob safety first ,thats a lot of doors that have come off ,after we sadly lost two people didn't we all have to do a mod to the elevator

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Jim, I accept the issue is a serious matter and I am quite prepared to
champion vital safety matters but you cannot legislate for pilot's
inefficient pre-flight checks and inspections, unless you want a safety
device of a safety device, of a safety device and our aircraft will not get
off the ground. These chaps must face the facts that it is their
shortcomings on these matters which put them and their passengers at risk.
The incident over the elevator was a proven short coming of build and
design, as was the assessed need to attend to the rear wing lift pins at the
same time since there was a perceived issue over build integrity which
couldn't be assessed without breaking into the wings.
The matter of the door is designed adequately and functions quite adequately
until the human element of pre-flight checks and regular hinge inspection
raises their heads.
Sorry, it is my humble opinion that I will not give on this issue, I do not
want have to install knee jerk solutions for everyone to comply with over
such things that still come back to pilot conduct.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG.

--

cakeykev(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Bob

I agree, the person who taught me the differences of flying the Europa really drummed it into me of giving the back of the door on both sides a good hard push not just to look at it.

I have had cause to thank him on a number of occasions.

You don't need lights etc just a pre flight check.

Kevin

[quote] On 1 Oct 2014, at 22:07, Bob Harrison <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net> wrote:

Jim, I accept the issue is a serious matter and I am quite prepared to
champion vital safety matters but you cannot legislate for pilot's
inefficient pre-flight checks and inspections, unless you want a safety
device of a safety device, of a safety device and our aircraft will not get
off the ground. These chaps must face the facts that it is their
shortcomings on these matters which put them and their passengers at risk.
The incident over the elevator was a proven short coming of build and
design, as was the assessed need to attend to the rear wing lift pins at the
same time since there was a perceived issue over build integrity which
couldn't be assessed without breaking into the wings.
The matter of the door is designed adequately and functions quite adequately
until the human element of pre-flight checks and regular hinge inspection
raises their heads.
Sorry, it is my humble opinion that I will not give on this issue, I do not
want have to install knee jerk solutions for everyone to comply with over
such things that still come back to pilot conduct.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG.

--

Alan Carter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Hi All.
I agree with Bob on this one, its a question of using the check list and a visual check that the bolts are engaged, it has happened may times and can only be put down to poor airman ship, but we all make mistake.
Many people taxy on a hot day with the door unlatched to keep cool, I see no problem with this, provided you remember to lock it before take off,
I myself have a small bulldog clip on the mounted on coaming,
with a piece of red/green cardboard, and if I am doing anything unusual,
Taxing on reserve etc I flip it to the red side, cost 50p
Use to do the same thing when flying on X/Feed in twins.
Alan

tonyrenshaw268(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

We start our clocks in the Boeings for the same reason….anything unusually selected, or different, or a reminder.
TR

On 2 Oct 2014, at 7:55 am, Alan Carter <alancarteresq(at)onetel.net> wrote:

Quote:

Hi All.
I agree with Bob one this one, its a question of using the check list and a visual check that the bolts are engaged, it has happened may times and can only be put down to poor airman ship, but we all make mistake.
Many people taxy on a hot day with the door unlatched to keep cool, I see no problem with this, provided you remember to lock it before take off,
I myself have a small bulldog clip on the mounted on coaming,
with a piece of red/green cardboard, and if I am doing anything unusual,
Taxing on reserve etc I flip it to the red side, cost 50p
Use to do the same thing when flying on X/Feed in twins.
Alan

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=431369#431369

JonSmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

I'm with you on his one Bob. IMHO there is nothing wrong with the door design, in fact it is very good. But during our type conversions we need to learn how it works and thereafter religiously include FULLY AND PROPERLY checking it is locked before we take off. EVERY TIME! Over the years I have flown many different types of glider, every one having a very different canopy locking system. You learn how it works before you go - then always do your before take off checks. Glider pilots are good at this. (I'm sure many on here from the uk will know C.B.S.I.F.T.C.B !!). Even so, I can think of two incidents I have witnessed where glider pilots have taken off with their canopies unlocked and therefore they have broken. I guess sometimes sh*t happens!
I don't want a mod for this - prefer to trust myself - and hope I continue to get it right!

Troy Maynor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

I agree with Bob. Preflight.... Just before throttle up, check the doors...but
if you want some cheap insurance too put a switch on each of the rear shoot bolts that puts a ground on a bright red LED directly in front of you on the panel, you are much less likely to take off with a door ajar. As to snagging the handle in-flight and opening a door, there was a point in the building of the doors where a simple flat piece of fiberglass is installed that hides the end of the door handle requiring you to reach behind it to open the door latch. There should not be a knob or handle extension of any kind attached to the door opening lever that can be snagged with your shirt sleeve.
Troy

max8992

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Quote:
but if you want some cheap insurance too put a switch on each of the rear
shoot bolts that puts a ground on a bright red LED directly in front of you

on the panel...
And then install a test button to verify that the leds are still alive.
Complicate cabling AND checklist.

Quote:
a simple flat piece of fiberglass is installed that hides the end of the
door handle ...

Did it after (unfortunately) second departure due to passenger elbow Smile I
do recommand it if not yet done
Max Cointe
mcointe(at)free.fr
F-PMLH Europa XS_TriGear
Kit #560-2003 912ULS/AirmasterAP332 520 hours

F-PLDJ Dyn’Aéro MCR 4S
Kit #27-2002 912ULSFR/MTProp MTV7A 1660 heures

Europa XS #560 F-PMLH
pjeffers(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Re door handle guard please refer to manual P34-8. It was a mandatory mod
originally then was incorporated as standard build procedure. Somehow some
builders seem to have missed this.
Pete Jeffers

--

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

On Oct 2, 2014, at 6:44 AM, Max Cointe (Free) <mcointe(at)free.fr (mcointe(at)free.fr)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
shoot bolts that puts a ground on a bright red LED directly in front of youon the panel...And then install a test button to verify that the leds are still alive.Complicate cabling AND checklist.

With thanks to Raimo Toivio for the design and components, I have mounted two robust pressure switches which will give me two lit green LEDs on the panel when the rear shoot bolts for the two doors are engaged…no need for test button to ensure system is operational…really quite simple…I’ve also fabbed tabs on both doors which are located so that pilot can reach to ensure firm closure w/o relying on passenger…nonetheless: Checklists Rule !!

[quote][b]

pete(at)lawless.info

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Hi Fred

So you are flying along with 2 green lights and one goes out.  How do you know if it is an electrical problem or the door shoot bolt not engaged without a test switch?
(OK you will get a great blast of air through all the holes in the top of the tunnel which would give a clue.)

You can see and feel the passenger shoot bolt with your right hand, and feel the left seat shoot bolt in place with your left hand.

Regards

Pete

On 02/10/14 17:31, Fred Klein wrote:

[quote]
On Oct 2, 2014, at 6:44 AM, Max Cointe (Free) <mcointe(at)free.fr (mcointe(at)free.fr)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
shoot bolts that puts a ground on a bright red LED directly in front of you on the panel... And then install a test button to verify that the leds are still alive. Complicate cabling AND checklist.

With thanks to Raimo Toivio for the design and components, I have mounted two robust pressure switches which will give me two lit green LEDs on the panel when the rear shoot bolts for the two doors are engaged…no need for test button to ensure system is operational…really quite simple…I’ve also fabbed tabs on both doors which are located so that pilot can reach to ensure firm closure w/o relying on passenger…nonetheless: Checklists Rule !!

Quote:

[b]

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Pete…don’t want to beat a dead horse here, but as you point out if I’m flying along and a light goes out, other clues as to what’s going on will be obvious. My sole reason for installing the LEDs is to have an additional confirmation that all is well during preflight checklist…F.
On Oct 2, 2014, at 10:23 AM, Pete Lawless <pete(at)lawless.info (pete(at)lawless.info)> wrote:
[quote] Hi Fred

So you are flying along with 2 green lights and one goes out. How do you know if it is an electrical problem or the door shoot bolt not engaged without a test switch?
(OK you will get a great blast of air through all the holes in the top of the tunnel which would give a clue.)

You can see and feel the passenger shoot bolt with your right hand, and feel the left seat shoot bolt in place with your left hand.

Regards

Pete

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
shoot bolts that puts a ground on a bright red LED directly in front of you on the panel... And then install a test button to verify that the leds are still alive. Complicate cabling AND checklist.

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

pete(at)lawless.info

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: In flight noticed the rear door pin out -horror Reply with quote

Hi Fred

If you like lights that is good I am sure they work.  It is just that it is so easy to see the actual components that the light are checking.

Regards

Pete

On 02/10/14 19:40, Fred Klein wrote:

[quote] Pete…don’t want to beat a dead horse here, but as you point out if I’m flying along and a light goes out, other clues as to what’s going on will be obvious. My sole reason for installing the LEDs is to have an additional confirmation that all is well during preflight checklist…F.
On Oct 2, 2014, at 10:23 AM, Pete Lawless <pete(at)lawless.info (pete(at)lawless.info)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Fred

So you are flying along with 2 green lights and one goes out.  How do you know if it is an electrical problem or the door shoot bolt not engaged without a test switch?

Regards

Pete

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: