Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emergecy Air (Or Lack Of)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocknpilot(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Emergecy Air (Or Lack Of) Reply with quote

Hi, All!

The Yaklist was unusually quiet this week, so I felt it my duty to increase it's usefulness... Smile
I don't know what's going on w/ my emergency air.  The Yak sat idle from about November to April (with regular and frequent prop turnings). Emergency air was...well...air-tight up until spring. Then I noticed it was leaking off as our thaw commenced. I thought...cold WI Winter...seals shrink / expand / become brittle. I did a retract test in Spring and both air sources operated the gear w/o issue. However, the emergency leak has gotten worse and worse - to the point of where I'm losing the entire load in 24 hours.  There is no audible hiss. I replaced O-rings in both emergency cockpit master valves and the top of the emergency bottle. I got a kit from Jill and redid the 1st check valve in-line from the external fill port. The year before I went through all 3 actuators / shuttle valves.  Main air is tighter than...(boy, it's tempting to be inappropriate here)...tighter than something that is VERY tight. I have 95% or better main air between starts and down time of better than a week. I did the bubble trick and only found a tiny leak at the top of the bottle, but - as previously stated - it is now sealed. Compared to the primary system, the emergency system is pretty straight forward, but...??? I don't know. Short of chocking the thing in the deep end of the school pool to see where the Jacuzzi action originates from, I'm out of ideas. Thoughts?
Thank you ALL!

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.                  
Wausau, WI. 54401     
                                                                    //
1966 Cessna 150F                            ^/---//-X
N8558G                                                  //Hangar #35 / AUW
                                                  //              
1992 Yakovlev Yak 52    ^/---//-X
N21YK                                   //
Hangar #21 / AUW

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Emergecy Air (Or Lack Of) Reply with quote

With the emergency air bottle filled, did you try spraying soapy water on the external air fill port? You can even put a small dab of saliva on the port to see if there are any air bubbles. If there are air bubbles, the emergency air check valve is leaking. The check valve is located just inside the fuselage behind the external air fill port.

Let me know what you find.
Dennis
Quote:
A. Dennis Savarese
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1
On 10/9/2014 8:20 AM, Rico Jaeger wrote:

[quote] Hi, All!

The Yaklist was unusually quiet this week, so I felt it my duty to increase it's usefulness... Smile

I don't know what's going on w/ my emergency air. The Yak sat idle from about November to April (with regular and frequent prop turnings). Emergency air was...well...air-tight up until spring. Then I noticed it was leaking off as our thaw commenced. I thought...cold WI Winter...seals shrink / expand / become brittle. I did a retract test in Spring and both air sources operated the gear w/o issue. However, the emergency leak has gotten worse and worse - to the point of where I'm losing the entire load in 24 hours. There is no audible hiss. I replaced O-rings in both emergency cockpit master valves and the top of the emergency bottle. I got a kit from Jill and redid the 1st check valve in-line from the external fill port. The year before I went through all 3 actuators / shuttle valves. Main air is tighter than...(boy, it's tempting to be inappropriate here)...tighter than something that is VERY tight. I have 95% or better main air between starts and down time of better than a week. I did the bubble trick and only found a tiny leak at the top of the bottle, but - as previously stated - it is now sealed. Compared to the primary system, the emergency system is pretty straight forward, but...??? I don't know. Short of chocking the thing in the deep end of the school pool to see where the Jacuzzi action originates from, I'm out of ideas. Thoughts?

Thank you ALL!

Rico Jaeger
915 S. 11th Ave.
Wausau, WI. 54401
//
1966 Cessna 150F ^/---//-X
N8558G // Hangar #35 / AUW
//
1992 Yakovlev Yak 52 ^/---//-X
N21YK //
Hangar #21 / AUW

Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Vic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergecy Air (Or Lack Of) Reply with quote

Rico,
donĀ“t forget to check the line from air tank to the pressure gauge in the cockpit. There is a length of hose that could be decades old and leaking. You will have a total loss of emergency air when that goes, no way to stop this in flight. This rubber hose is usually not in the set of hoses that get exchanged in periods.

Vic

Adrian Coop Cooper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergecy Air (Or Lack Of) Reply with quote

Had a similar issue with my CJ-6A. So I bought an ultrasonic tester off of eBay, and using it found it was the pressure gauge in the rear cockpit that was leaking internally. I got a new one from Doug and the system stopped leaking. In fact, the entire community of Nanchangs, Yaks and Delphins at my home field have benefitted from my tester. Best yet it was reasonably priced on eBay. We still use the soapy water method first in case of obvious leaks and then use the ultrasonic when we can't find bubbles. Strongly recommended. Coop.

Adrian Coop Cooper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergecy Air (Or Lack Of) Reply with quote

Had a similar issue with my CJ-6A. So I bought an ultrasonic tester off of eBay, and using it found it was the pressure gauge in the rear cockpit that was leaking internally. I got a new one from Doug and the system stopped leaking. In fact, the entire community of Nanchangs, Yaks and Delphins at my home field have benefitted from my tester. Best yet it was reasonably priced on eBay. We still use the soapy water method first in case of obvious leaks and then use the ultrasonic when we can't find bubbles. Strongly recommended. Coop.

Adrian Coop Cooper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergecy Air (Or Lack Of) Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: